Strength training at home?

Options
I'm pretty new to this strength training and unfortunately my community gym just has cardio machines. I was curious if there was any way I could strength train at home? I only have dumbells right now and may look at buying a kettleball. Also if I were to create my own workout routine how would i set that up if I wanted to do a full body workout every other day? (As in how many workouts for each body part and reps)

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    As a beginner, I highly suggest finding an established routine rather than making one up. Once you learn more about muscle groups, etc., you can tweak the routine. Here's one but you can find more online.

http://www.howtobeast.com/gain-mass-with-dumbbell-bulking-routine/
  • chrisjonesy2k
    chrisjonesy2k Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Strength training at home is fine,if you have nice weather out you can even do it in your back garden, if you have kettlebells dumbells that is great as you will be able to take them outside to exercise as well as inside, depends on the weather etc,what exercise's you are looking at doing.(if you have the room inside etc)

I find day on day off exercise has worked for me upto this point first 6 months i concentrated on a mixture of cardio and stregnth but now i have just started to concentrate on stregnth.

First priority is safety,you do not want to go ott in terms of how heavy the weights are that you are lifting if you are only starting stregnth training,to find out whats the best weight for you well,its a trial bases basically,you have to find a weight thats comfortable but yet challenging.

You do not want to go lifting something that will in the long run cause you more damage then good,you do not want to lift and find its causing you more pain then gain and puts you off continueing your workout.

Start off small,see how you find it,if you find its too easy,and find its not benefiting you,then increase the weight,and continue to do so until you find what you need.

Once you find the weight thats suited to your current needs,then i would say write down a routine that you can follow,if you want a full body workout routine then you can write down on paper what exercises you want to do by how many reps sets and breaks inbetween even rep and set.

For example if you are looking at doing core work,say 3 sets of 10(reps) of russian twists with a 30 sec or a 1 min break depending on how new you are too stregnth training between each set) using a 4kg or 8 kg kettlebell(find one you can work with)

then once you have done all your sets,have a break for 90 secs,catch a breather shake it off,then move on too your next workout,if your not sure of a workout look it up,ask your local gym instructor for some advice.

There are so many different exercises that you are able to do with both kettlebells and dumbells that will and can target every muscle in your body,but...

When doing any exercise safety is imperative make sure you do your warm ups,and your cool downs,and make sure you give your body time to rest.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    If you've got a place to hang gymnastic rings, the book "Rings of Power" by Mike Gillette has routines with regressions (if you are not strong) and progressions (if you are very strong) and all the steps between for calisthenics geared toward strength. I alternate that with Kettlebells. You can't go wrong with kettlebell swings, goblet squats and Turkish get-ups. Occasionally I use dumbbells or a sandbag. All of these are suitable for home training at low cost.