How do I log foods/fruits like Eggs/Banana?

Do I weigh after removing the shells/peel or before? I am quite confused about this. I am also having a bit of difficulty in logging chicken as well, not sure if I have to weigh my drumsticks and nibblets with the bones. Thanks.

Replies

• MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited September 2015
    Eggs - weigh only egg white and yolk.

Bananas - without peel

Chicken drumsticks - weigh your drumsticks before eating, cooked, then weigh bones after eating. Subtract weight of full drumstick from bones to get the weight of the meat. There are entries on myfitnesspal with cooked drumstick meat. Usually you would weigh meat uncooked but this is an exception.

Can of beans (popular confusing one) - drain, rinse, and weigh beans. Find an entry on myfitnesspal with the type of beans you are eating, make sure it says cooked, use that instead of the label if you are not sensitive to sodium. That's how I do it.

Rule of thumb: Only weigh what you actually eat! Unless the nutrition label says otherwise.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    One large egg is 70 calories. Any variation is small and they're not worth weighing.

I don't weigh bananas either. I just use the entry for the large one.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Banana; weigh the whole banana. Eat the banana. Weigh the skin. Subtraction. Kapow.

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Or you could weigh everything and build a small buffer for foods where you might end up underestimating. I'm lazy and almost never weigh my apple cores, but the 10-15 calorie difference balances out during the times I might have a sugar free jello cup or don't log a few sticks of sugar free gum.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    I'm not sure why you'd weigh either, though?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    you don't eat the shell...why would that be part of the serving?
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    As someone who sells eggs, the weights in the database seem to correlate to the weights with shells when I sort them, like 60g is a large egg with a shell.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    You weigh the part of the food that you eat. So weigh bananas peeled, eggs without shell, stone fruits without the stones, etc.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    I'd just weigh them in their entirety to be honest. Underestimate your exercise on here and overestimate your foods. It'll help for when there are inconsistencies in certain foods or your exercises.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Lorleee wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you'd weigh either, though?

This. Scales are wonderful, but it is a slippery slope to fetishism.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I weigh bananas but not eggs. As somebody else wrote, the variation within a size category is minimal so it's not worth it to me.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    I agree with Rule of thumb: only weigh what you eat, avoid eggshells for consumption, and if not mentioned, chicken bones probably shouldn't be eaten either, but then again. . . .
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    unless you eat the peel or shell... why would you weigh it?

you weigh what you eat....
  • botadufig05
    botadufig05 Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks everyone for the response. I do appreciate.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    My work collouges think I'm nuts that I bring home the peelings to weigh :)
  • kirstym1108
    kirstym1108 Posts: 46 Member
    My work collouges think I'm nuts that I bring home the peelings to weigh :)

Just tell them you are taking them home to make compost for the garden!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Peanuts. If they are in a shell I eat the whole thing and count the nuts. The shell is pure fiber. Also, there is a calorie count on the bag usually.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    For supermarkets eggs I use the "One Large" entry. I weigh eggs I buy at the farm stand as they can vary from Medium through Jumbo. @cmtigger - I call 60-69 g with shell Large - is this accurate? Maybe you could post the weights and sizes of eggs with shell?

I freeze banana chunks and use them in smoothies so I weigh them unpeeled. Before I got the digital scale I did use entries like "one small banana" and have since learned this isn't very accurate.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Here is a link with an accurate chart. http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/971625/egg-weights I have an egg scale in my kitchen that I refer to.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    From what I'm reading here, if I eat watermelon I should weigh the slice, spit my seeds in a cup, weigh the seeds and rind, then subtract that from the original weight? Sounds a bit obsessive to me.