Too much sugar in fruit

Options
Is it ok to go over my recommended sugar if it is coming from fruit?

Replies

• erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Personally, no. But others will have something different to say I'm sure
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    For people without a health issue, yes. It is fine to go over.

JMO
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. Do you have health problems?

Then no. The dietary restrictions are for added sugars. Vegetables contain sugar. If you eat a lot then add a few servings of fruits like apples and bananas on top of that? You'll go over your sugar limits. Don't sweat it.

If you're really concerned? Ask your doctor.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    For me no but only because, if I eat so much fruit, I won't be able to hit my protein and fat goals.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    If you have no health issues related to sugar consumption it shouldn't be an issue. But that has already been said. However, if you aren't hitting protein or fiber (fiber should be fine with fruit) then watch your consumption.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Not sure sweet chicken is a fruit, or an oral glucose test for breakfast of "Jumba Juice - Apple N' Greens Smoothie, 13 ounces".

Look for the big numbers in your diary and adapt accordingly. Try a protein based breakfast.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    What yarwell said, basically, if you prefer to reduce your overall sugar consumption. (As others have said, sugar is not the devil if you have no contraindicating health problems, but a lower level might let you enjoy other foods that would probably do more for you nutritionally, for better health.)

BTW, the Bolthouse Strawberry Parfait Breakfast Smoothie, which you often have for breakfast lately, has quite a bit of sugar that is not fruit: The ingredients include cane sugar and brown sugar, and the first (therefore biggest) ingredient is apple juice from concentrate, which is (nutritionally) not appreciably better for you than non-fruit sugar.

Nutritionally, getting sugar from whole fruit (like an apple or banana) is probably more healthful, not because the sugar is somehow magically different, but because in the whole fruit it's packaged up with lots of nice fiber, vitamins, anti-oxidants, etc., that are good for you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My sugar limit currently is quite reasonable at the calories I eat (it's 15% of total calories), so it's not an issue for me. I can eat the fruit I want and not go over.

If I were at 1200 or some other calorie goal that included a low sugar limit, it would depend on whether I got enough protein and fat also. If so, I wouldn't worry about sugar from fruit, vegetables, or dairy.

In fact, when I was doing 1250 I tended to cut my starchy carbs quite low and get most of my carbs from vegetables and fruits and dairy, so my sugar did go over sometimes. I still see no reason why it would have been beneficial to trade a peach for some rice or some protein or fat, for that matter, when I wasn't hungry and had plenty of fat and protein (I was doing 30-35-35 for my macro split).
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Fruit sugar is the worst! Enter at your own risk. ;)
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm only concerned about the proportion of natural/added sugars in relationship to my carbohydrate and kcal goals. I already logged 150g of apple, 250g of strawberries, and 300g of Greek yogurt (and some other things) and am already at 51g of sugar consumed, but my added sugar intake is super low (1g) according to the USDA's SuperTracker.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Women should only have 25 g of sugar which equals 6 teaspoons in one day. This my fitness pal tracker allows you to have over double that. That would be my logical reasoning to keep your fruit servings to only one to three a day. Keep in mind one large apple can be considered two to three servings
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical issue ? If not, then don't worry about it. I eat what ever fruits I want, as long as I'm within my calorie goal.
    Sugar isn't anything to freak out about. Don't listen to the fear mongering anti sugar nonsense.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    lmaharidge wrote: »
    Women should only have 25 g of sugar which equals 6 teaspoons in one day. This my fitness pal tracker allows you to have over double that. That would be my logical reasoning to keep your fruit servings to only one to three a day. Keep in mind one large apple can be considered two to three servings

The places that state this sugar limitation also state that those 25g do NOT include naturally occurring sugars, so telling OP to limit her fruit servings if she doesn't have a medical condition that warrants it is absolutely pointless.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    lmaharidge wrote: »

The places that state this sugar limitation also state that those 25g do NOT include naturally occurring sugars, so telling OP to limit her fruit servings if she doesn't have a medical condition that warrants it is absolutely pointless.

Yes, this. To be specific, a couple are:

World Health Organization: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/
    American Heart Association: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/Sugar-101_UCM_306024_Article.jsp

Some of OP's sugar is coming from fruit, some from milk products, and perhaps a surprising amount from the added sugars in processed foods like the Bolthouse pre-packaged smoothies. Only that last type may be a concern, assuming she has no contraindicating health issues, is staying within her calorie goals, and is meeting her other macros.
  • AnnaFit4Life
    AnnaFit4Life Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight sugar is sugar regardless of where it is coming from. Choosing fruit over refined sugars for your daily sugar/carbs limitations is ideal. But the bottom line is sugar is sugar so not overdoing the fruit is important too. It could hinder your weight loss efforts. Good news is once you get into maintenance you can add more fruit servings to your day.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight sugar is sugar regardless of where it is coming from. Choosing fruit over refined sugars for your daily sugar/carbs limitations is ideal. But the bottom line is sugar is sugar so not overdoing the fruit is important too. It could hinder your weight loss efforts. Good news is once you get into maintenance you can add more fruit servings to your day.

Yes, sugar is sugar, but how exactly can it hinder her weight loss assuming she's not exceeding her calorie allowance?
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Love sugar debates..... brb grabbing some popcorn and a chair :D
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    If you are getting adequate protein and not going over your calorie target then - no.

Eat as much fruit as you like.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options

I think you meant to say that if your goal is to lose weight, calories are calories.

Barring specific health problems, there's nothing wrong with sugar in itself. The biggest problem with sugar is that in the typical diet it usually shows up in the form of soda, candy, ice cream and other junk food. And while there's nothing wrong with a little junk food, it tends to be calorie dense and nutritionally empty, so it's not smart to spend much of your daily calories on it.

Sugar has a relatively high glycemic index, but then so do other simple carbs. They are all best taken in moderation.

When it comes to fruit, the fiber slows the absorption of sugar. Again, if you have specific health issues you'll want to follow your doctor's advice, but otherwise there's no reason to avoid the sugar in fruit.

If you want fruit, eat fruit. But the calories count.
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is completely find if you don't have any health issue. Fruits are natural source of sugar, water, vitamins and fiber etc. that is really good for healthy and should not be avoided.
    I eat fruits everyday and do exercise just to stay fit.
    Fruits and nuts are natural source of protein also, so you will not require to take additional protein supplements.