BMR query (Sorry)

Options
I've worked mine out to be 2280. I'm 29, 5 ft 10 and weight 248 lbs. my question is this: bmr is the amount of calories I need to eat to maintain my current weight is this correct?

This would mean I should eat 1780 per day (500 deficit) to lose a pound a week - am I getting this right?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Nope, BMR is your burn rate while lying down all day. MFP calculates the amount you should eat to drop 1 pound/week. What is it telling you?
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Right. When I set MFP up and in putted all my info etc.. It set my cals per day at 2050. So I've been consuming an average of 1850 every day this week. That's a net deficit of 200 on rest days and 900 on gym days.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If MFP set your goal calories at 2050 to drop 1 pound/week, that's the target and includes the required deficit. You should be aiming for 2050 and eating back your exercise calories.

If you're a normal-size guy who is moderately active, you're probably looking at ~2500 to maintain. Dropping down to 2k provides the 500/day leading to 1 pound/week.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks very much for your time it's appreciated.