best diet????

Options
2»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    katiedee2 wrote: »
    cut out sweets, fats etc. ? what is the best to cut back on, to stay in the right calorie count and be satisfied ?

No, you don't cut out anything, you just learn portion control. I recommend weighing foods, ensuring you have correct calorie counts, and staying within your calorie goals.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    what works for you?

More than likely the best diet is the one you are on now but just a toned down version.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    cut out sweets, fats etc. ? what is the best to cut back on, to stay in the right calorie count and be satisfied ?

You can eat LITERALLY anything you want, as long as you maintain a calorie deficit. There are some things that are helpful for the sake of saiety (not feeling hungry). Protein and fat will keep you fuller, longer. Veggies are generally super low in calories, etc.

Most people (including myself) find it much easier if they don't give up any of the foods they love, just make them fit in their calorie deficit.
  • timberflake
    timberflake Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The best diet is the one you can stick to.

The first thing to understand is that there's no reason to be afraid of carbs and fat, they just need to be consumed from good sources and in moderation for your needs.

You need to be in a slight calorie deficit at all times to illicit weight loss, but to do this you need to know your BMR and TDEE.

Above all, health is the most important factor, so make sure you're eating lots of fresh veggies and good sources of carbs, fats and proteins. Slimmers World meals et al ARE NOT healthy.

Hope that helps
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The best diet is whatever works for you. Only you can know what works for you. If you don't know, you should find out! Lots of different approaches may work for you, you just have to pick one, and stick to it.

What works for everybody though - regarding weight loss - is a moderate but consistent calorie deficit. How many calories one should eat, will vary according to height, weight, gender and how active you are.

Counting calories has made me aware of what I eat, how much, how, and why. I still eat the same foods I used to eat, but in other proportions. I cook more from scratch, I eat structured meals. I have a varied and balanced diet with food from all food groups every day. I eat when I'm hungry, and stop when I'm full (not stuffed). I only eat what I like, but eating more natural and whole foods has changed my taste preferences somewhat. I deny myself nothing, but avoid foods that are more trouble than fun. I prefer to train my habits instead of relying on willpower.

I've lost 45 pounds and a lot of anxiety, and gained a lot of insight and confidence. Just 11 months into maintenance, I hope I have the right amount of humility though.
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The eat what i want and exercise diet
  • katiedee2
    katiedee2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thanks to all of you
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    what works for you?

There is no "One Way" to lose weight. Each person, and their needs, is different. Many lose with a program like Weight Watchers but just as many do better on their own.

The keys are:
    1. eat less than you burn
    2. adjust for medical issues
    3. choose nutrient rich foods for the majority of your foods
    4. have a treat when you need one and can work it in
    5. eat the types of foods you like and satisfy you

• barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Every diet plan in the world that can work has one common denomanater a Calorie Deflict. Some mask it with buy our food deals or smoothie deals, a few will push excersise work out programs but it all comes down to what's common the Calorie Deflict. Not to say excersise is bad, I run and work out 6 days a week and it has helped me with other health issues as well.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    what works for you?

Low carb intuitive eating.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    OP, it sounds like you're iin "Diet Mode", where a diet has to have a name, a book attached to it, limit or eliminate food groups, etc.

None of this is necessary.

Eat less than you burn. The end.

As for this:
    I have tried and stayed on 1,200 calories for up to 3 months without much weight loss.

1. What do you call "much weight loss". Exactly how much have you lost in that three month period?
    2. Have you been weighing all of your food on a food scale? Logging every morsel faithfully? If not, you're likely eating more than you think you are.

• vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Counting calories. The end. ;)
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    seells wrote: »
    The one you're going to be able to stick too. I do Keto for now. I'm a carb binge eater. Breads, pastas, chips, etc are my downfall. I've decided to cut them out while I work on my relationship with food. Since I don't feel I'm currently at a place where I would be able to eat them without going overboard I just don't eat them. It's a journey. Pretty much its consume less calories then you burn. How you want to consume those calories are totally up to you.

Very well put. In the end it's a calorie deficit, but if there is a certain dietary plan that helps you avoid unhealthy eating patterns, by all means that is the best plan to be on. Sometimes it takes experimenting with macro nutrients and finding what makes you feel satisfied without going over the set calorie goal.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The best diet is the one you can stick to.

The first thing to understand is that there's no reason to be afraid of carbs and fat, they just need to be consumed from good sources and in moderation for your needs

I agree. Don't be afraid of foods. But if you do look into a low carb diet, know that low carbers generally eat that way because we have discovered that is the best, and healthiest way for us to eat. It is not a diet based on food fear or anxieties.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    what works for you?

eating a well balanced, nutritious diet

all diets work on the same premise...weight management is simply about energy (calorie) balance.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Keto - Hands down! ;)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    If you have been trying to lose for three months and haven't lost weight, then your not eating a deficit . its that simple. Your eating more then you think. Get a food scale and weigh and log all your foods . don't eyeball portions, just weigh them.
    As far as the best diet, I'd say calorie deficit. Eat less. Eat what you want , but stay within your calorie goal.
  • Frulla_
    Frulla_ Posts: 5 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    High carb low fat for me, but as I am a gym rat the carbs are necessary for me to recover. Should also mention that it's a vegan HCLF diet, so all carbs are as clean as can be with the highest nutrient contents as well. I eat about 4,100-4,400 calories a day (~900g carbs, 150-200g of protien, and 20-35g fat) and only do real cardio like twice a week. I only gain about two or three pounds a month, but this is the goal, I could easily flip it for weight loss.