New at this... sugar intake?!

Options
Ok hopefully I dont look too uninteligent for asking this question, but this is only my 3rd day on this site. I have noticed that all 3 days I have gone over on my sugars. Right now it is only noon, I have had a bowl of Fiber One cereal and some grapes and am already over my sugar limit. I eat a lot of fruit and I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions would be helpful, but go easy on me! Thanks :smile:

Replies

• ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I have found that MFP undershoots sugar significantly. I always go over my sugar and protein limits and I eat very very moderately and reasonably. As long as you are paying attention to the sugar in the foods you eat, I wouldn't worry about going over the limit set by MFP.
    20072013 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with the same thing. Maybe try to replace a fruit or two with veggies. Cereal has lots of sugar, even though you think FiberOne would be good for you and grapes are actually loaded with sugar. I have success when plan my meals around proteins for example, eggs for breakfast, tuna for lunch, chicken or fish for dinner. Google low glycemic foods it will give you lots of foods that are lower in sugar. Good luck!
  • Medusa3
    Medusa3 Posts: 11
    Options
    I don't count any of the sugar in fruit, vegetables or milk. I only count added sugars. That seemed to keep things more realistic for me
  • semarsh12
    semarsh12 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think MFP meant for this to be added sugars, not naturally occuring ones. Anyhow, instead of being stressed about it, you can delete the sugar tracking. Go to My Home>Settings>Food Diary settings (or something like that) and change your nutrient tracking. I changed my sugar tracking to fiber instead.
  • intothepavement
    intothepavement Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    After a while on this site, I've learned to just ignore the MFP sugar allowance. You have a banana and a few grapes and you're over. Really, don't worry about it. As long as the sugar is coming from healthy sources, and it's naturally occurring sources, you'll be fine. Promise. :wink:
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Oh good not just me then. I've had to cut back on fresh fruits and milk as the sugar readings on MFP were going in the red every day!!
  • DahliaBanker
    DahliaBanker Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Ok hopefully I dont look too uninteligent for asking this question, but this is only my 3rd day on this site. I have noticed that all 3 days I have gone over on my sugars. Right now it is only noon, I have had a bowl of Fiber One cereal and some grapes and am already over my sugar limit. I eat a lot of fruit and I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions would be helpful, but go easy on me! Thanks :smile:

Not at all! I thought the same thing. I started a couple of weeks ago and found the same thing! I was very confused and asked the same question. I finally exchanged that measurement with carbs. I wasn't eating "sugary" things and was blasting out my sugar number. I know what sugary things I shouldn't be eating so I quit looking at that number completely. Good luck with your weightloss!
  • nk2710
    nk2710 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to know it is not just me too! I have a difficult time because I dont eat fish and I'm picky with veggies, but I LOVE my fruit. I am going to swap the sugar counter with fiber and see if that helps at all. Thank you all so much, that gives me some relief!
  • emileesgram
    emileesgram Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I too go over my sugar intake often, I don't worry about too much as most of my sugar is coming from fruit. A banana usually puts me over. Just use this as a guideline and try to make sure the sugar isn't from processed foods or sugary drinks.