"They" say

Options

Replies

• hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    The first 5 lbs took me from a 1 to 0, the next 3 or so to a 00, and the next 3 took me to occasionally fitting a 000 and just not fitting in anything. I have a 23 inch waist which very few places carry, the ones that they're cut more for a 25 or 26 inch waist.
  • oldbod
    oldbod Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I was in my twenties a UK size 12 fitted a 36in hip. Now the sizes have gone mad and vary from brand to brand.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Larger clothes are made to accommodate larger weight variances. It took a LONG time for me to move from a 22 to 20 to 18 (pants size).... with smaller clothes I've noticed it takes less and less time (ie pounds)

I'm currently between a 16 and 14 pants and in tops on average a large (10/12 ish).

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lb and 4 sizes. But it took a couple of years in maintenance to lose the second two sizes. First I went from a 12 to an 8, which is what I was aiming for. Now I'm a 4. That happened as a result of strength training, building muscle and losing inches.
  • starling01
    starling01 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I started at about 195, don't know what size since I'd turned to jeans with elastic waists but probably a 22. I'm 5'5". I'm now 130 and still can't comfortably wear below a size 12. Until very recently I didn't bother buying smaller clothes because the elastic waists still function but I checked my size in jeans when I was in the 140's and got into a size 14, so about every 10 pounds maybe.
  • starling01
    starling01 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    There are some striking differences in clothing size for the same weight. Even if I get down to my goal weight of 120, I doubt I'll wear anything smaller than a 10 and that's going to be a squeeze. Differences in body proportions are so interesting.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    starling01 wrote: »
    There are some striking differences in clothing size for the same weight. Even if I get down to my goal weight of 120, I doubt I'll wear anything smaller than a 10 and that's going to be a squeeze. Differences in body proportions are so interesting.

And brands too. For me I compared with the same brand (Lee, because it's cheap, lol!). I'm a 6. But for Old Navy I fit great in S (sometimes XS for tops), but I think size 4 or even 2 pants would work too. But Levi's? Probably size 8 (but I *need* high rise jeans because of my shape and they didn't have any last time I checked).

Bottom line, I never buy clothes online anymore unless it's a brand I am familiar with.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I'm different sizes on the top and bottom - I have broad shoulders for someone my size. I wear a size 8/10 dress just so it can zip up in the back.
    My jeans/skirts are a size 4.

I don't care about sizes anymore - they don't mean anything. I just wear what fits. For goodness sake, I wore bigger size jeans as a teenager than I do now and I was tiny back then!
  • oldbod
    oldbod Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree, in fact I can't help feeling that clothing manufacturers do their best to mislead us - as do changing room mirrors! :)
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    10 lbs per size is a generalization, but I have found it to be true for me.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    moving from plus size brands to normal size brands make a difference too. like say lane bryant only go so low and american eagle go so high. I was 270, bigger top, but 22 was getting tight, I can wear some 14's comfortably like the mid waist in target jeans and I am almost down 70. generic sweat pants 3x to a large. activity pants from walmart 2x to a large and tops 24/22 to a xl in the regular section
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I have lost 22 lbs and have gone down about 1 size, but I am getting close to the next size down. I can zip the pants... but they are still a bit too tight!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    about 10 pounds is a pant/dress size. Have you noticed that to be true? I assume factors play into this like water wight/fat loss/muscle loss? It took me about 15 to fit into my smaller jeans!

I had to lose about 25 lbs before I dropped a size.

Not sure why, but even at my thinnest (slightly underweight according to the BMI scale), I've never been in particularly low dress sizes. About the smallest I've fit into was a Size 10. I don't know what I would have to do to fit into a Size 2 or something. It would probably require surgery to remove my hip bones.

• Machka9
    Options
    oldbod wrote: »
    Carnhot wrote: »
    UK sizes are 2 below US sizes, so a UK 10 is a US 14. We don't have odd numbered sizes either.
    Thank you, I just can't work out how a 180 person can fit into a size 10. I can only think TakingBackForever must be very well toned.

I was trying to figure that out too.

I had to drop to about 120 before I could squeeze into a Size 10.
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm 130 and a size 10. Been a size 10 since I started, at just over 143 pounds. Judging by how my 10s fit it'll be at *least* another 5 pounds before I can drop a size. At least. And that's being optimistic. So it's not 10 pounds a size for everyone!
  • TakingBackForever
    TakingBackForever Posts: 564 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    UK sizes are 2 below US sizes, so a UK 10 is a US 14. We don't have odd numbered sizes either.
    Thank you, I just can't work out how a 180 person can fit into a size 10. I can only think TakingBackForever must be very well toned.

I don't know how. But I am a size 10 in 3 brands and I fit in all of them (these are US Jeans). I have toned thighs (though they are beefy) and chubby little knees. :P
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    starling01 wrote: »

And brands too. For me I compared with the same brand (Lee, because it's cheap, lol!). I'm a 6. But for Old Navy I fit great in S (sometimes XS for tops), but I think size 4 or even 2 pants would work too. But Levi's? Probably size 8 (but I *need* high rise jeans because of my shape and they didn't have any last time I checked).

Bottom line, I never buy clothes online anymore unless it's a brand I am familiar with.

Is this why h&m always has such bizarre sizing? I always feel like I'm 2 sizes more with h&m than any other brand...
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I carry weight fairly evenly all around.

I started out last November at 270 lbs and a size 22/20 (top/bottom). I'm currently 220 and a size 18/16. 50 lbs for a 2-size drop. Joy. I know from when I was a young adult that at 165 I'll be a 14/12 (that's what I'm going for). So for me its 25 lbs / size. I should add that I'm quite tall. I am currently 5'9", but when you account for my scoliosis I should be over 6'1".
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I don't know how. But I am a size 10 in 3 brands and I fit in all of them (these are US Jeans). I have toned thighs (though they are beefy) and chubby little knees. :P

I have widely placed hip bones and relatively wide, bony shoulders. Even now that I've lost 20 kg, I'm still wearing most of my previous clothes because my hips and shoulders keep them in place.

Thankfully, however, there are a couple skirts I can't get away with anymore. Even my hips can't keep them on. But Size 10 is still a dream.

I'm currently kind in Australian size 14, which is about a US size 12.

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    jdleanna wrote: »
    I'm 130 and a size 10. Been a size 10 since I started, at just over 143 pounds. Judging by how my 10s fit it'll be at *least* another 5 pounds before I can drop a size. At least. And that's being optimistic. So it's not 10 pounds a size for everyone!

I am 130 and I am a size 4? according to urban outfitters where i get my jeans in a size 27 and that = size 4. I also carry most of my weight in my thighs so when I found out i was a 4 i was pretty shocked. and honestly still don't believe it. i feel like clothing companies like to do voodoo jedi mind tricks to make you think you are smaller haha.