Because MFP, and because pumpkin season is upon us...

Options
Submitted for your mockery/amazement...

pumpkinPieIceCream.jpg

Replies

• Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't that freeze into a sorbet-like rock rather than ice cream due to the lack of fat and incorporated air?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. The banana ice cream lovers might know. Pumpkin puree does have a LOT of water. My attempts at real pumpkin ice cream all bricked on me. I just stick to custard-based vanilla with sweet-flavored booze nowadays.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Yuck, lol.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    "Clean eating" *gag*
    The number of fonts is dizzying.
    The recipe itself is an insult to all taste buds.
    Also, that's sorbet, not ice cream.

If you need a pumpkin pie ice cream recipe, I have one. It ain't "dairy free" or any of that BS, but it's damn good ice cream.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I'll just eat pumpkin ice cream for fewer calories...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin+spice+latte_cf230c_4791056.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Here's some recipes. Haven't tried any of them. http://jillconyers.com/2014/09/25-pumpkin-recipes/
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If anyone tried to make anything out of a halloween pumpkin, they'd tell you it was flavorless at best. A complete waste of time.

I don't know why they keep showing the halloween stereotype when talking about pumpkin flavor.

However, there are pumpkins such as the Hokkaido variety that will make an outrageously good pumpkin soup.
    Mmm, Hokkaido...
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    If anyone tried to make anything out of a halloween pumpkin, they'd tell you it was flavorless at best. A complete waste of time.

I don't know why they keep showing the halloween stereotype when talking about pumpkin flavor.

However, there are pumpkins such as the Hokkaido variety that will make an outrageously good pumpkin soup.
    Mmm, Hokkaido...

True. We make everything "pumpkin" out of halloween pumpkins, and it is completely flavorless, which is why we add cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and ginger. What we call "pumpkin flavor" is actually the spices.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste has an awesome compilation of skinny pumpkin recipes
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/10/50-pumpkin-recipes.html?m=1
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Pumpkin+spice+latte_cf230c_4791056.jpg

You only need to say it once, but that PSL better be there when I arrive or things are going to turn ugly.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Ugh, I'll just eat pumpkin ice cream for fewer calories...
    I really enjoyed Ben and Jerry's pumpkin pie ice cream.

I saw that Dairy Queen released their pumpkin pie Blizzard. I'm hoping to get one today. o:)

• TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options

Mmm, Hokkaido...

I always grow about a dozen baby pams in my back yard. They're a more manageable size (like a canteloupe) and have a much darker flesh and richer flavour than jackolanterns.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Mmm, Hokkaido...

I actually like to eat the big pumpkins. I don't think they are tasteless at all and I like the stringy texture in certain recipes, especially in pie and bread.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Are the bananas necessary? I've never been a fan of bananas.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Are the bananas necessary? I've never been a fan of bananas.

I like bananas. I hate *most* things with bananas in them. No clue why all these "healthy alternatives" have bananas except they provide a "natural" source of a lot of sugar. But then everything is banana flavored. :sad:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Mmm, Hokkaido...

True. We make everything "pumpkin" out of halloween pumpkins, and it is completely flavorless, which is why we add cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and ginger. What we call "pumpkin flavor" is actually the spices.

In the United States......there are Jack-O-Lantern pumpkins. These were developed for sheer size......these are NOT pumpkins used for baking purposes. These are used for decorative purposes.

Small, dark orange pumpkins are used for baking. In the U.S. canned pumpkin is available year round.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If someone made it and offered me some then I would try it but I'd never make it myself. If I want ice cream I eat real ice cream.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't that freeze into a sorbet-like rock rather than ice cream due to the lack of fat and incorporated air?

From what I saw on Hack My Life the other night, your actually only supposed to freeze the banana's. Then throw the frozen banana's + optional ingredients in a blender until smooth. I haven't actually tried it yet, so no idea if it works like it showed on tv or not.