HELP! I need a Chicken Recipe with WHOLE FOOD flavoring

Options
I am so grossed out by the "natural flavor" ingredient listed on most food labels, and it's also listed on most chicken/bbq rubs. Does anyone have a recipe to flavor chicken with whole ingredients? There's the obvious pepper, salt, garlic, lemon... any others?

Replies

• jolybac
    jolybac Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Bragg Organic Sprinkle - this is my favorite seasoning blend. A little expensive (because I like to use a lot), so I've been working on making my own version. Definitely give it a try. I use it on everything, especially chicken.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    One slurry that I recently came up with was: salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, basil paste, sambal olek (chili paste), fresh lime juice and honey, and olive oil mixed together and rubbed on chicken, pork or steak. I'm sure it would be great on fish too. I am a really big fan of making my own marinades and rubs from what I have laying around. A good starting point would be looking at recipes you like, noting the flavors that go well together and replicating, also adding and subtracting from those on your own. Once you figure out what goes well together the varieties are endless. Good luck!
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Paprika and lemon

Italian herbs

Herds de Provence

Ginger and garlic
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    These are great! Thanks, y'all! I guess it'll take a little trial and error, but there are more options out there than I thought.
  • jolybac
    jolybac Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to request a sample from Bragg...
    http://bragg.com/samples/samples_31239.php
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    Options
    I like so many flavors for chicken. Orange, lime, ginger, allspice. Easy pan sauces, like a lemon, thyme, white wine sauce. Balsamic reductions, adding savory flavors (like chipotles en adobo) to OJ or lime juice. Olive oil, oregano, garlic, lemon with chicken stock.

My husband and I make our own rubs. Consisting of various combos of: cumin, cayenne powder, garlic & onion powders, paprika, chipotle powder, sugar, brown sugar, chili powder, pepper, salt, etc.
  • Kirsten9109
    Options
    I use Mrs. Dash seasoning a lot. It comes in different flavors, has no salt and the original had 0 calories. I'm not sure about calories on the other flavors
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My all time favorite features star anise, orange, ginger, honey and soy sauce (not a whole food, but you could try balsamic vinegar instead).