I Hate Myself, and I KNOW that's part of the problem... (Back again)

Options
I REALLY want to live a healthy and balanced life, not just diet.

So, here I am back on MFP. I had set a goal to lose 70 lbs... and I did it. And I kept it off for over a year. Then I proceeded to get lazy, and put it all back on.

I've taken 20 of it back off, but have 50 lbs to go... again. Ugh.
I know how to lose weight. I just don't know how to get my head (or heart) around a new "healthy lifestyle", instead of just dieting. I want to have all the energy I need to love the people who matter most to me.

It has to be permanent. I want to be comfortable in my own skin.
I really need to learn to STOP hating... but really START to love life, instead of food.

I'm done with the roller coaster. :-)

Scott - September 2015

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Hi Scott
    Well at least you've now realized that this must be a lifestyle change . so your already a step ahead, you know it needs to be a life style change and you know how to lose the weight ( reasonable yet responsible calorie deficit for anyone else reading. Cico )
    It is really hard to wrap your head around at first but in time, things get easier. I find that once something is habit, part of my daily routine then its much easier to keep doing. So maybe start by just forcing yourself to incorporate this into your day for a while until it sticks. Motivation comes and goes at times, but once its part of your daily routine its easier to keep up even when you don't feel up to it. Just like going to work, or cooking dinner and so on.
    For me it also helps not to be super strict. Remember this is a lifestyle change, not a race to see how fast we can lose the weight . for example, if I want cookies I have them. I just weigh my portion out and log it. No big deal. Sometimes when people are too strict , its a recipe for disaster in the long run.
    Best of luck to you !
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Scott .... I can relate ...I lost 78lbs back in 09/2010 with this site ...life and tragedy got in my way and I quit MFP and deleted my old account only to gain it back and then some ...I took a few years off to work on myself ....I came back in Jan of this year ...was doing great had lost 36lbs then tragedy struck again I lost 4 people from May to June but I didn't give up granted I didn't log my food or workout but I was on here everyday talking to friends ...I gained 30lbs of the 36 ...then I said to myself those 4 people that I lost wouldn't want me to give up on myself or my goals so I decided to start logging again and working out ....I promised myself I would never give up again and I am sticking to it ....Wishing you much success ...Feel free to add me :)
  • scott608
    scott608 Posts: 104 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thanks so much for the encouragement! Best wishes to you two too! - Scott
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    You are so welcome Scott :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You really hate yourself? Dont sweat it just take responsibility and get on back with it. Supporting yourself is one of the things that will make you effective. You know what to do, you knew what you were doing whilst regaining, just learn from it. AStart having a maintenance plan ready to go for when you get there.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Hi Scott :)
    We are all quick to say "This isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change" but I understand how difficult it can be to train yourself to that way of thinking. When I first started this (and even now sometimes, I'm not going to lie) - I DO feel like I'm on a diet. A special type of diet that none of my friends are on. None of my friends 'Track their food' and none of my friends bother with calories, so yes - it felt like a diet.

Looking at it logically, I'm actually the only one within my group of friends that has any interest in living a healthy lifestyle and maintaining it. If tracking is what I have to do to help get this extra weight off, you bet i'm going to do it. You'll get used to this and it won't feel like such a chore and a challenge. It'll be second nature.

You sound like you're just about 'done' with not being as healthy as you know you can be and I admire you for that and wish you the best of luck. You'll find loads of support here :)