Control?

Options
Hi,
I really struggle with knowing when to stop. I seem to eat and eat and eat. I dont feel full and i dont feel hungry. I used to eat when i was upset but it has just turned into snacking constantly.
Anyone else have this problem? Anyone managed to get rid of it?
Thanks

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I got rid of that problem by eating very low carb high fat. It's not a popular choice though.

Perhaps skip most meals and just commit to grazing?
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    It's just habit! You need to retrain your brain to listen to your belly
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    Options

Awwh it chopped 95% of my reply off - I wasn't blunt enough to just say the above but basically wait 20 mins after a meal before deciding if you are still hungry and log everything!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I prelog my meals, then measure them out and eat. MOST of the time I simply stop when I've finished that amount and trust that i will feel full in 20 minutes. Occasionally I go for more food because it just tastes good and I'm human :) but then I edit my next meal(s) so I can stick to my calorie budget.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I am with jaga13, I pre plan, pre log my food and after I eat, I then clean the dishes so I don't go back for seconds. I find that the 20 minute post eating time does satisfy me. I'll chew gum or get coffee or continue filling up on liquids (no calorie of course).

I too am an emotional eater/grazer and eat for something to do vs being hungry. I make sure when I pre plan my food logs I put enough cals/carbs etc into day & nite snacks so I can have what I want if I need some snacks and I can also adjust food thru out the day if I eat something I didn't plan to or changed the menu etc.
  • katie_moreau
    katie_moreau Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that too! You need to be diligent about logging your food, and drink lots of water! Every time I want to snack I get a bottle of water and go back to whatever I was doing. After 4 weeks, I actually have overcome this terrible constant snacking habit!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I overate out of habit, after being force-fed as a child. I hate to waste food and didn't know about portion control or meal planning. I believed I had to be stuffed to get enough. I love flavor and variety, and believing I should eat diet foods made me so desperate for flavor that I turned to grazing on candy and chips, which never satisfied me either. I believed I didn't have an on/off switch for satiety, but I just didn't know what hungry and full was supposed to feel like.

I started logging on MFP, picked up some tweaks, learnt to trust the process, and at the same time listening to my body's signals. I found out what foods I like that I can eat to satiety, how to shop and plan meals. After 18 months of counting calories, I felt ready to move on - just continue to follow a rough meal plan and weigh every day. It takes some attention and fine-tuning, but I feel so much like a normal eater now.

I've read a lot about this and similar subjects, this article is one of the many that resonated with me: What is Normal Eating?