I can't do exercise...kind of?!?!

Options
Hi,
I have epilepsy and so far jogging, horse riding, dvd workouts, power walk and swimming seems to trigger seizures. I do yoga but only once a week. Can anyone suggest a calming but losing weight exercise to try?
Thanks

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great!

Can you just walk--without the power? 30 minutes a day--even broken up into pieces (10 after each meal?) Can add up. Stationary bike? Eliptical? Something is better than nothing!
  • CactusFlower527
    CactusFlower527 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Remember that LOTS of every day things are exercise... cleaning house, yard work... etc etc .... you can also use dumbbell weights and do some light lifting. I find it hard to get any cardio done this time of year... I live in Phoenix with 100 degree plus weather. Yes, even at night and early morning it's hot :) we won't have cooler weather til mid to late October. So I try to fit in what I can on my living room floor .. stretching exercises etc
  • nicjbar73
    nicjbar73 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    what about just walking in the pool around edges?maybe some butt lifts off the floor or beginner yoga poses? can u do dancing?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    You do NOT need to rely on exercise to lose weight - the only thing that matters for weight loss is that you take in less than you burn. So you can do that by looking at your diet & restricting calories alone.

For fitness, do only what your body can take. Yoga's great. Gentle walks are fine. Also maybe get advice from your doc on what kinds of exercises might be safe. (Though it sounds like getting your heart rate up is what does it. I think it's a good idea to stick to slow movements that don't change your heart rate. Tai chi, maybe? But if you're going to try new exercises, have someone else around just in case! And let them know what to do if you have a seizure.)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Also are you taking medication to control seizures?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    What about tai chi? It is very calming and slow moving.

This is one that I have done a few times...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D7qAQ720x8