3 meals vs 6 meals a day, what's your experience/opinion?

Options
Like it says in the title I want to know what peoples experiences are?

I'm currently 306lbs and have dropped from 355lbs by reducing my calories down to 1300 per day (breakfast around 200 calories, lunch around 200 calories, 2x snacks between 100-200 and then my evening meal which is whatever is left). this has worked so far, however I've just got a PT and she has advised I'm not eating enough calories, that I should be eating around 1500 and that I should have 6 meals a day.

I've read some mixed reviews, I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it? does it work? how do you do it? what sort of things do you eat day to day?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I've done both. It is a matter of personal preference.

When I was working 12 hour shifts, the days were long so I preferred 6 meals a day. It kept me from getting so hungry I just start eating anything.

If I am working normal days/not working, I find that 3 meals a day works fine with a snack.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I've had a doctor recommend it for GERD prevention. It doesn't really work with my work schedule, though. I can see how it would help With GERD- less full stomach... But I think for most people it's really personal preference.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I agree with the PT that 1300 is probably not enough for you at your current weight.

I don't know however about the number of meals. Mine vary...some days I will have 6 meals times...some days 3...then other days just two. It all depends on my hunger and what I am having for dinner at night. If I know that my dinner will be higher calorie then I cut back during the day time.

With the heat this summer I eat less often.

TBH...I have some days where I want to eat all day...I only have one meal that day...it just lasts all day long. :'(
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I change it around a lot. Some days are 3 meals and some are 6. I do find that on days when I eat 6 times, it usually ends up being a higher calorie day.

I would go with how you feel so you aren't fighting hunger. If you need to eat more, do it, but on days when you are not as hungry, eat less frequently.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Completely depends on my appetite for me. I can do 3 meals or I can do 7.
  • Nch305
    Nch305 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    At work, any eating (apart from my scheduled lunch break) is done on the run. My brain does not even register that I've eaten and this has a huge impact on me. I do much better on 3 mindful meals a day.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ive done both but i prefer 1 large meal (*most days* lunch) and a smaller dinner. I dont *usually* eat much breakfast.

nothing is ever set in stone for me though.... however the food happens, happens LOL
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have eaten 3, 4, 5, 6 meals. 5 or 6 through weight loss and into maintenance, worked well. I tried 3 for a while, that was too few, I got too full and started to lose weight uinitentionally. I've settled on 4, but will add dessert on soup days.

My diet is pretty ordinary, crispbread, milk, porridge, salad, raw vegetables, fruits, cheese, yogurt,
    nuts, smoothies, potatoes, rice and pasta, meat and fish, pancakes and toast, soup and casseroles.

Eat as many meals as you prefer - but I believe strongly in meals. Grazing is for ruminants.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Is a matter of personal preference, I for example don't like the whole 6 meals a day, I just do 3 regular meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner with one afternoon snack ) and that works wonder for me.

Another thing is that I was like you 300 lbs so clearly I ate an excessive amount of food, for me being exposed 6 times a day with food was scary and too much to handle , so 3 meals like I always used to eat but in less quantity worked better for me.

Psss I'm not a number person at all but I think that indeed your calorie intake is low, with your weight and calories burned from excersise you def. Could/need to eat more.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Like it says in the title I want to know what peoples experiences are?

I'm currently 306lbs and have dropped from 355lbs by reducing my calories down to 1300 per day (breakfast around 200 calories, lunch around 200 calories, 2x snacks between 100-200 and then my evening meal which is whatever is left). this has worked so far, however I've just got a PT and she has advised I'm not eating enough calories, that I should be eating around 1500 and that I should have 6 meals a day.

I've read some mixed reviews, I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it? does it work? how do you do it? what sort of things do you eat day to day?
    Increase your calories. Especially add more protein.
    Eat at times and frequencies that work for you.
    That six meals a day thing would drive me completely nuts. I do not feel like eating until late in the day. .
    . . . So I have dinner when I get first home from work in the afternoon and a small meal or large snack later. I am losing weight this way.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should be eating more. I find that I can eat 800 calories through the day but then have a huge dinner of 800- 900 calories works best for me.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works best for you. It's all personal preference and doesn't make a difference.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I've read it's best to eat every few hours, but then there are publications that say it doesn't matter. I think it a personal preference - eat as frequently as fits your day.

But, at 300lb you definitely need to eat more than 1,300
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I change it. I like to eat at least three times from 3:30 to before I fall asleep, so I usually eat about 5 times per day. If I'm not working I like to eat a bit less and save room for a great dessert (working makes me hungry, must eat).
  • pmanney
    pmanney Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic, I have been recommended to eat mid-morning and -afternoon snacks; keeping within my nutrition allowance, of course! Loading my lunchbox with the day's snacks (and my meals) is a technique that works for me. I feel as if I am always eating, though. However, at goal weight, maintaining OK.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I pack lunch and snacks together for the day. Some days I get a lunch break and other days my schedule doesn't allow for a lunch break, so I eat a little at a time between meetings at and such. Same number of calories -- just consumed in different configuration s. Can't say I prefer one over the other--
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I find it works better for me to eat 3 meals a day, with possibly one snack mid-afternoon. I am able to stick to moderation better with 3 meals, with 6 I find I never get full and feel hungry, and therefore more likely to overeat. But you need to do what works best for you, not what a PT says or someone on MFP. As far as eating more calories, you could probably eat more and still lose weight at a decent pace, however we don't know your circumstances as far as health concerns. For example if your doctor feels you need to lose weight faster because of a medical condition, it's certainly acceptable to do that. That being said, 1500 sounds more reasonable, and more sustainable! The best "diet" is one that you can adhere to.
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    During the work week I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks. Weekends I do a light lunch, snack and big dinner
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I do three meals and two snacks on most work days. It works better for me to have more frequent meals or at least the option to do so. Sometimes I skip the afternoon snack and eat dinner early. Some days off I eat a late breakfast and skip lunch so I can have a high calorie dinner. It is all a matter of finding what works for you personally.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I agree it varies greatly person to person. After I moved to burning fat as my main fuel source without intent I went to two meals a day (breakfast and mid afternoon meal) with an optional evening snack. The two meals however are like 1300 calories each and if maintaining the snack is around 400 calories.

Read the other day something about six meals a day keeps our hormone insulin high which makes weight loss harder typically.