Question about Elliptical Programs

Options
Daryn46
Daryn46 Posts: 11 Member
Hello:

I have been doing a "random" program on the elliptical which burned 500 calories in half an hour. For a change, today I did a "Fat Burn" program for 30 minutes. The calorie burn was 400 calories instead of 500. Does anyone know what the difference is? Is it ok to throw in the fat burning program. Should I do it longer? What is the difference. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    what ever you do don't eat all of those calories! my elliptical is not accurate! I only use 40% of what the machine shows. To answer your question... I don't know why fat burning woudn't be more calories burned? was the random setting a higher resistance? Wish it was easier!
  • tcac
    tcac Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    what ever you do don't eat all of those calories! my elliptical is not accurate! I only use 40% of what the machine shows. To answer your question... I don't know why fat burning woudn't be more calories burned? was the random setting a higher resistance? Wish it was easier!

I worry more about the calorie burned on this site it is always so far over what my machine says. I use my machine just because it it lower. I have found the same thing with my pedometer its numbers are much lower that MFP. Do you find the same?
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Machines and MFP are rarely what a personal Heart Rate Monitor says. I suggest you get one to be on the safe side! I wear a Polar F11, it is a little more than I need when I am not a gadget guru but I use it for every workout I do!
    Sorry I can not help you on the elliptical question!!!
  • FreeKatrina
    FreeKatrina Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello:

I have been doing a "random" program on the elliptical which burned 500 calories in half an hour. For a change, today I did a "Fat Burn" program for 30 minutes. The calorie burn was 400 calories instead of 500. Does anyone know what the difference is? Is it ok to throw in the fat burning program. Should I do it longer? What is the difference. Thanks in advance.

I think it has more to do with the resistance from one to the other... some are faster speeds, some slower, etc... either way you are doing a great job!
  • lildebbie
    lildebbie Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    My guess is the random might have more resistance.

I don't go by the machines either....I have a Polar f6, like today i did 45 min on the interval settting on the ellip at the gym. it said i burned almost 500 cals but my HRM sayhs 350, it is always less and i go by that all the time.