Diet Coke?

Options

Replies

• camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    They are most def 0.

My brother and step-father are type 1 diabetics, so they count carbs and inject insulin depending on how much carbs they eat.

If coke zero or diet coke had carbs they will be always hyperglicemic and that is not the case. So I'm SURE about it at least in the carbs part adn if that's correct why wouldn't the calories be correct :)

Also I can imagine that is pretty easy to test if the nutritional info is correct, can you imagine coca cola lying about it? they wouldn't dare to lie in something like that and risking a massive sue
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    putting manufactured, synthetic chemicals in your body - even if 0 calories- can't be that great for you, can it? Acids, fake sugar and colourings, no thank you :)

I avoid pop like the plague! You realise that once you haven't had them for a while, they actually taste disgusting! I am glad my parents made a rule of 'no soft drinks at home' when I was starting high school. That stuff is gross gross grosssss and so bad for you in every way possible.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phenylalanine/AN01552
    just some information about a chemical in there (an artificial sweetener)... so it can cause mental retardation in people susceptible. Something that can do that is not something that should be in my body!
  • MoJoPoe
    MoJoPoe Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Do some research. I have never let my kids have diet soda. Think chemicals. Read some studies. I belive they cause weight gain because of the body's reaction.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    diet sodas actually have 1-4 calories per serving.

Exactly.

They're not zero calories.
  • Cinner29
    Cinner29 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

The Diet Mountain Dew in my fridge says it has 10 calories. I was shocked. I've never seen a diet soda with anything other than zero before.
  • BEVERLYSTEEN
    BEVERLYSTEEN Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks you gave me a great chuckle at the end of the day.
  • Frelling_Tralk
    Frelling_Tralk Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    How can Diet Coke be zero calories? I'm skeptical of this... I might have one a week now that i started MFP, but i'm curious how they don't hurt your calorie par for the day. surely they are bad for you in some other way, right?

I think they're bad for you because the sweeteners that are in them are actually worse for your body than regular sugar in coke? That's what I've always been told anyway.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It's magic.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lytyr3nj6o1qkikgro1_250.gif
  • rshcraig
    rshcraig Posts: 53
    Options
    Rum and coke zero make an excellent splurge :-) but mostly I stick to water cause I doubt anything chemically created is good for you. I also do unsweetened tea with splenda every once in a while. I know splenda is being investigated lately though too. Another thing that's too good to be true.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I think its' the acidic nature of carbonated beverages leeching calcium out of your system. It's the same thing killing the coral reefs. As the ocean absorbs more carbon dioxide (with the warming planet, ocean water holds more CO2) CO2 'acidifies' the water. Acids interact with minerals and cause them to dissolve.so just as the warming oceans, holding more carbon dioxide, are bad for coral reefs (largely calcium carbonate lifeforms) the CO2 in the soda leaches your bone mass and also interferes with the absorption of other minerals your body uses to function. It's also true that your intake of soda was a missed opportunity for you nutritionally because 'you could've had a V8' or something more healthful. in short you have to think of soda as an 'anti-nutrient'.

I'll just count myself lucky i'm not a piece of coral then :)
  • Nina1007
    Nina1007 Posts: 150
    Options
    I used to drink diet coke aaaalllll the time. Then everybody kept on saying how I should stop drinking it, it's so bad for me! So I switched to Coke Zero. Yea!
  • Nina1007
    Nina1007 Posts: 150
    Options

The Diet Mountain Dew in my fridge says it has 10 calories. I was shocked. I've never seen a diet soda with anything other than zero before.

I was shocked to see that too! Then was upset cus I had to log that bish!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    n18htv.jpg
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    How can Diet Coke be zero calories? I'm skeptical of this... I might have one a week now that i started MFP, but i'm curious how they don't hurt your calorie par for the day. surely they are bad for you in some other way, right?

I think they're bad for you because the sweeteners that are in them are actually worse for your body than regular sugar in coke? That's what I've always been told anyway.

Not true. If the regular sugar found in Coke was invented today, it would never be let on the market. Known major contributor to diabetes.

Science is awesome. It gives us vaccines, airplanes, food that tastes sweet without the calories...
  • kristinadalba
    Options
    I was literally addicted!went cold turkey and found I had extreme headaches,shakes,fatigue.caffeine,chemicals,ASPERTAME!!
    May be zero cals carb sugar etc...the chemicals and sweeteners are terrible for u.look on the can and research the ingredients and their side effects...potential health risks.its crappy cause they taste good,but retrain the taste buds
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I drink caffeine free Diet Dr. Pepper most the time.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I'm as addicted to diet coke (or diet pepsi, I don't care which) as any human alive I think. I'm probably known at every 7-11 on the east coast. I can find a 7-11 in cities I've never been to without even looking them up, I just get in the car and I can find them. Everyone in my office building seems to know me by my double gulp cup (1400 employees). And I'll have 3-5 double gulps a day of diet coke (after ice, that's about 12-20 cans a day). Are the chemicals bad for me? Probably. But it didn't interfere with weight loss. And one known effect of all products which have caffeine (coffee, tea, sodas): caffeine has a known thermogenic property. When I've tried to wean off of it, I gained weight. When I went back on, weight came off easier. Cause and effect? Not definitive. But certainly suggestive.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I'm as addicted to diet coke (or diet pepsi, I don't care which) as any human alive I think. I'm probably known at every 7-11 on the east coast. I can find a 7-11 in cities I've never been to without even looking them up, I just get in the car and I can find them. Everyone in my office building seems to know me by my double gulp cup (1400 employees). And I'll have 3-5 double gulps a day of diet coke (after ice, that's about 12-20 cans a day). Are the chemicals bad for me? Probably. But it didn't interfere with weight loss. And one known effect of all products which have caffeine (coffee, tea, sodas): caffeine has a known thermogenic property. When I've tried to wean off of it, I gained weight. When I went back on, weight came off easier. Cause and effect? Not definitive. But certainly suggestive.

Some people claim diet coke makes them crave carbs or otherwise increases their appetite. I have found for me the opposite can be true, sometimes. But, usually there is no effect, doesn't make me hungrier or suppress my appetite. I am going to go with if there is any effect positive or negative it's mainly psychological.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    I think its' the acidic nature of carbonated beverages leeching calcium out of your system. It's the same thing killing the coral reefs. As the ocean absorbs more carbon dioxide (with the warming planet, ocean water holds more CO2) CO2 'acidifies' the water. Acids interact with minerals and cause them to dissolve.so just as the warming oceans, holding more carbon dioxide, are bad for coral reefs (largely calcium carbonate lifeforms) the CO2 in the soda leaches your bone mass and also interferes with the absorption of other minerals your body uses to function. It's also true that your intake of soda was a missed opportunity for you nutritionally because 'you could've had a V8' or something more healthful. in short you have to think of soda as an 'anti-nutrient'.
    And of course there's a peer reviewed clinical study to back this? Or did you just read this from a "natural" site?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Not carbon dioxide, but caffeine. (Correlation, not causation.) And its at such low amounts you could fix it by drinking milk, putting some cream in your coffee or eating cheese.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11684540

Carbon dioxide only causes temporary bloat. That's about it.