Calorie "Window" instead of Calorie "Goal"

Options
So, I was eating at a 1000 cal deficit (per MFPs recommendation re: my stated goal of two lost pounds a week). I changed a week or so ago to a 750 cal deficit to 1). have a few more calories to work with (or "with which to work" for all you grammar Nazis:wink: ), and 2) because since I was often coming in 50-100 calories under my goal, I was exceeding the 1000 cal deficit. I figure that by setting my goal at a 750 cal deficit, I now have the option of falling a couple hundred calories below goal without exceeding that MFP recommended maximum deficit of 1000.

Thoughts? Does my reasoning make sense?

Also, I did a half-hearted search re: this question before posting. If you know of a thread that covers this topic, please direct me to it. Thanks. :happy:

(In case it isn't already readily apparent, the title/subject of this post refers to my second stated reason for a deficit reduction, i.e., that I want to give myself a range within which to fall, the lowest part of which does not exceed the recommended max 1000 cal deficit)

Replies

• csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Makes sense to me, although I must admit I'm comfortable with the "window" concept because my main goal is to maintain.

But I do agree that it can be a real pain if you focus on a very specific number because it's difficult to eat such an exact number of calories. In my case, my activity level tends to have me looking at 3000-4000 calories a day, which is a lot to handle. As a result, focusing on a range and understanding it may effect how I lose, gain, or maintain while remaining cognisant of if I've been under or over eating unusually frequently is much easier on my brain.
  • soysauce6626
    soysauce6626 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Makes sense. If it works keep doing it. Simple enough
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I always thought that MFP should change the "SuperDude551 was under his calorie goal" which could be very bad if you are too far under and doesn't give you that little carrot if you are even 1 calorie over, to "SuperDude551 was within his calorie goal range." It makes a whole lot more sense. I would take 50 calories over goal ahead of 500 calories under goal every time.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it makes sense. Though some may do it without problem, it's seem unrealistic to me to go through life eating exactly the same number of calories every day. It's more natural to have some higher and some lower days, so a calorie window makes perfect sense to me.
  • huizenm
    huizenm Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I also use the window approach. I strive to be between 1200-1400 calories each day. (Can't be under 1200 or MPF "yells" at me. :)

This method makes complete sense to me! Good Luck!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Yes, it makes complete sense. I know I always feel obliged to be under my goal. I don't like seeing numbers in the red. I always have to remind myself that I'm aiming FOR the goal, rather than around it, so should probably be a little over my goal about 50% of the time! I can see how doing what you are doing might make things more straightforward. Good idea.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    A couple of things...

1) Your picture scares me. OK, got that out of the way...

2) I am a "window" dieter. I haven't logged anything for months. That's because I ran a few different numbers and figured out where I needed my average to land below and figured as long as I could eat at that level by ball parking it and saw a loss that indicated I was about right I would wing it. I really didn't think I would make it this far doing that, but here I am. So this idea works for some of us.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this makes more sense to me also.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I do. I set my calorie goal at 1800 but I consistently eat 1500-1600. It gives me a cushion and it's all a mental thing for me. When I go over the 1500 I feel like I've had a bad day, but really I'm just at goal which then makes me feel better.

I say do whatever works for you.
  • faiora
    faiora Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a different solution - I just make sure I go slightly over my calorie goal for the most part - usually about 20-50 calories over. If I'm not there yet, I munch something I like, e.g. dried seaweed snacks or a babybel cheese, or I have a glass of milk. The app still tells me I'll lose weight, when I indicate I'm finished for the day.

With that said, I don't often use all my exercise calories. I just make sure I go over my original calorie goal, and have at least that many whenever possible. It's not a good idea to have too high a deficit because you will start to lose lean mass along with muscle mass. Lean mass will likely be one of the biggest factors in keeping the weight off once you get down to your goal weight.

To add to this: If you don't like seeing numbers in the red, the solution is to exercise a little every day (even if it just means doing some housework or walking down to the corner and back). Even if it's just 30 calories, you can bring the small number out of the red and feel better about it. :P
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Whatever works! I actually set my cal deficit at 750 simply because I tend to go over my goal several times a week no matter what it is!
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I get it. I am set to lose 1.5 a week but am happy with 1, so if I go over, no biggie.
  • jakedner
    jakedner Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Can't be under 1200 or MPF "yells" at me. :)

I totally think of it as MFP 'yelling' at me when I am under 1200 calories on a non-workout day! LOL!

I use a window based on my MFP target calorie goal and half of the calories for my planned workout for that day. It'd be nice it MFP could at least off the option of a range for an intake target instead of one number. If a window works for you, then go for it! Do whatever works for you!
  • Onlineasllou
    Options
    I am new to the site and still trying to the best setitngs for me. I've used another site for a few years -- a site that gives you a range rather than a specific number -- and I am used to thinking in terms of a range. I don't think that eating the exact same amount each day is realistic, nor particularly desirable. I tend to do better with weight loss when I mix things up a bit -- below my target range some days and a little over on others.

P.S. I joined MFP to see how it compared to other site I have been using. So far, the jury's still out. I like some things better here on MFP ... but I like the "ranges" of the other site better. Hmmm.... I have more thinking and more exploring to do.

llou