Can being overweight cause insomnia?

I am wondering if over time my insomnia would improve. I have been at this for two months and am starting to feel sleepier at night time but i just suspect this is due to increased exercise.

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    I'm not sure about this. I imagine losing weight would improve your overall well-being so have no reason to think it WOULDN'T help with the insomnia. Definitely suggest seeing a doctor too though :)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    I find exercise definitely makes me sleep better, and carrying extra weight can make some sleeping positions uncomfortable which are fine when I'm lighter, so that definitely affects my sleep.

There is also a possibility of sleep apnoeia (breathing difficulties) which can disturb sleep without you being aware of why - so I second the advice to see a doctor if you are heavy and having persistent sleep problems.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    edited September 2015
    Losing weight and exercise could probably make insomnia better, but there can be many reasons and excess weight isn't the only one. I third seeing a doctor, as we're not professionals. I especially second making sure you don't have sleep apnoea, which is almost always caused by weight. It can be deadly.
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    I searched up sleep apnoea symptoms, the ones i get are sore throat in morning sometimes, sometimes a blocked nose at night and waking up frequently as well as daytime tiredness
  • Jokersurv
    Jokersurv Posts: 75 Member
    I have sleep problems and have lost 8% of my body weight and haven't noticed an improvement in sleep. So losing weight is not necessarily going to make you sleep better
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited September 2015
    As someone that suffered from this due to bipolar, it was suggested that I only exercise in the morning by doctors. Exercise raises your body temperature, so it can affect how sleepy, or not sleepy, you get at night.

I have found that I am not sure if it's related to weight loss or regular exercise, but if I stick to a regular workout schedule, I sleep better. I started walking about 1-2 miles a day, and am up to around 10. On days I don't get a workout in, even just walking, I find myself reaching for the sleeping pills. So in my experience, I think it's just getting in a routine of exercise.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Losing weight has definitely improved my sleeping.

Here is one article that associates sleep apnea with obesity.

http://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-topics/obesity-and-sleep