An illustration to help understand water weight

Options

Replies

• OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    gemdiver00 wrote: »
    Ok Mr now we need a graphic for people who eat 500 calories a day and exercise 12 hours a day, 8 days a week and they still can't lose the pounds!

Why should we make a graphic for something that doesn't exist?

There is one already, it's the video that's posted on dozens of threads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

And also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA9AdlhB18o

Osric

• Ponkeen
    Ponkeen Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump. This needs more visibility.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Ok Mr now we need a graphic for people who eat 500 calories a day and exercise 12 hours a day, 8 days a week and they still can't lose the pounds!

Couple of groups for those kinda people

1. People who think they only eat 500 calories and not weigh their food.
    2. And some of them are also the kind of people who come here and tell they only eat 500 calories while they eat and not log.
    3. Than you have also the group that trolls around and post those kind of threads.

• myheartsabattleground
    Options
    bump that ishhh.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I like it, nice and simple. However, I am a little disappointed that I can't use it to teach anatomy. Can someone provide a more accurate map of where the water tank is located?

Osric

I want some of this doubly labelled water. Just for a few days. It would help take some of the guesswork out.
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I want some of this doubly labelled water. Just for a few days. It would help take some of the guesswork out.

This UK based business will send you the water and do the labwork for you. I am not sure it'd be worth the cost, but there is a way to get a quote from them on the page I have linked.

For myself, I rely on trendweight.com's analysis. I think it's plenty accurate once you have a straight trendline. For me it currently says:

You are losing 2.0 lbs/week of total weight.
    You are burning 977 cal/day more than you eat.

My trendline currently looks like this:

4w.png

My last 14 days of deficit, according to my logging vs my bodymedia tracking, average 1285. Do I think I could be failing to log 300 kcals/day? Absolutely. I guesstimate a lot, and I believe the 977 deficit based on my chart is much more accurate than the 1285 deficit based on my logging. But the two are close enough given all the possible sources of error.

Osric

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I've read on here from several users who like trendweight. I will look at it. I miss my BodyMedia. The band broke after they stopped making them. I haven't been able to replace it. Currently looking at some options for my recent recommitment to the process. Thank-you! :smile:
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

And also this

Osric

Wowee why haven't I seen these before?
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options

And also this

Osric

Those videos are awesome!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    How much "water" does the body lose when a person begins dieting and how does that work?
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    Love the pictures and the voice I put in my head to go with it made it even funnier. Great job
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    "Humans don't have actual water tanks. Not to be used for surgical purposes"

I died :D

This is a great post!!
  • bbinoa
    bbinoa Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Great stuff!!!!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    How much "water" does the body lose when a person begins dieting and how does that work?

The body uses a lot of water in digestion, and it uses different amounts of water to metabolise different nutrients. Specifically, it has to retain a lot of water to metabolise and store carbohydrate.

If you lower your food intake, *especially* your carb intake, you will not need as much water on board to metabolise it. So if you reduce the amount of food you're eating, you will see an almost immediate adjustment in the amount of water you're carrying (even if you're not low-carbing - any reduction in food intake means a reduction in carbs).

This is why the first week of any weight loss effort sees a sudden, steep weight loss, most of which is water because of the adjustment to the change in diet. For me this will be in the 3-4lb range (this time it was 6lb!) of which 1lb, if I'm lucky, is fat loss - the rest is water.

As for "how does that work", well, you know, in the usual way your body gets rid of water. Do you need me to draw you a(nother) picture? :-D
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Can we have a female example that shows the 50 gal tank that magically appears every month? ;P
  • CattOfTheGarage
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Can we have a female example that shows the 50 gal tank that magically appears every month? ;P

Good point, I get several pounds heavier in the run up to a period, and usually several pounds heavier when I'm ill. There are all sorts of internal processes which can cause oedema (generalised swelling) and they will all make you heavier while they last. None of this is evidence you have put on fat.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Great pics, @CattOfTheGarage ! You should be let into the house to use the puter more often! You is smartz.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    They don't let me in much as I just walk all over the keyboard and knock drinks onto the floor. Also scratch up the furniture. I'm trying to kick the habits, but the urgez, they iz strong.