Using Exercise calories

Options
Just wondering if ppl use the extra calories they are given for exercise? For example if I am allowed 1500 cals a day and i do a 600 cal workout should i then eat 2100 cals for that day?? thanks

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes - that's the way this site is designed to be used.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I only eat back half of mine as you can't be accurate of how many you really burnt.
  • julestar777
    julestar777 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    thanks will i still loose as some days I can train and burn around 1000-1500 cals that is doubling what i eat in a day?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Thast the wau its designed, but you need to ensure the calories measures are accurate so you avoid eating back calories you have not burned. MFP for some activities is overgenerous on the amount you burn. Machines and hrms can also be inaccurate. Eat 50% back and adjust as needed over time.

Where are you getting your burn estimates from? MFP, HRM, machine? What are you doing to burn that amount of calories, it sounds high.

• julestar777
    Options
    I use HRM. I teach fitness classes and sometimes in a day i might teach Db spin class, and body pump or yoga. In my DB spin class it says i burn around 1000 cals. That's good to know, I will just eat 50% back. Does anyone ever save their fitness cals for the weekend?
  • 999tigger
    Options
    Plenty of people are flexible and bank their calories, its fine. You are just looking at deficits over time. Start with 50% and see the results, if you are losing over time then you are at deficit. If you are losing too fast eat more of them back, not fast enough then eat fewer if you wish. You shouldnt run too large a deficit though so just use comon sense.
  • julestar777
    Options
    thanks, a little confused when ppl are talking deficits, are you meaning in weight loss or in calories?
  • 999tigger
    Options
    Calories. The deficit doesnt reset each day, its just a running total, so its fine to bank calories for a weekend.
  • sijomial
    Options
    I use HRM. I teach fitness classes and sometimes in a day i might teach Db spin class, and body pump or yoga. In my DB spin class it says i burn around 1000 cals. That's good to know, I will just eat 50% back. Does anyone ever save their fitness cals for the weekend?

Highly unlikely to really be burning 1000 cals Spinning unless that's well over an hour class. Do you have an unusually high HR?

You can't use a HRM for body pump and yoga. Completely unsuitable activities to get a reasonable estimate.

You are doing a very significant amount of exercise so really do need to be eating back exercise calories, let your weight loss over a period of time be your guide as to how much of your estimated exercise burns you eat back.
  • julestar777
    Options
    Cool thanks. Yeah you never know with those monitors. With the spin class its a 90 min class so calorie burn gets up there but not sure accurate the HRM is. No I don't have high HR it's in the normal range. I will just have to try trial and error to see what works.
  • sijomial
    Options
    90min class makes sense. That would have been one hell of an effort for an hour!
  • julestar777
    Options
    Yeah it's a double class and it's brutal but it really burns!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    I only eat back half of mine as you can't be accurate of how many you really burnt.

Excellent answer - you took the words right out of my mouth!!!