SL 5x5 question

Options
I started doing SL 5x5 about 3 weeks ago. I started at higher than the recommended starting weight because I wanted more of a challenge (maybe at 60-70% of my max).

Now that I'm increasing the weight I'm finding that my form is starting to suffer. For example I'm wobbling the bar on the bench press. The form gets worse especially on set 4 and 5. What should I do if I can do all the 5x5=25 reps but with failing form? Should I lower the weight? keep the weight the same for the next workout or increase it?

Secondly, what if I'm not sure if my form sucks ? For example I suspect that sometimes on the squat um not keeping my back in perfect position, also maybe I'm arching my back slightly on the dead lift and drooping my shoulders? Should I keep hitting the same weight ? Lower it? Keep raising it?

Replies

• Hamez_UK
    Hamez_UK Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'd lower the weight. Form is more important than the amount of weight you can lift. If you are questioning your form can you get someone to observe? Does your gym have instructors that can help? Can you video yourself and upload it on the forums for a critique?

Before you add any more weight you need to make sure that your form is good.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of a "challenge", you restart at a much lower weight do you can do the program as designed?
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Maybe instead of a "challenge", you restart at a much lower weight do you can do the program as designed?

when I use a very low weight (like 50% of max or less) I don't feel any resistance, I feel like I'm just doing bodyweight exercises and swinging my arms in the air and I feel like I haven't done any exercise even after 5x5 reps. maybe if it was 15x5 or 10x5 I would feel something after 8 sets by 5x5 with 50% feels like I haven't done anything
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, at low weights, is when you really concentrate on form.
    When I started back up lifting a couple years ago I ran the program as designed. The first couple weeks I didn't feel I was doing anything in the gym except work on form.

It doesn't take very long for SL to become challenging if you're following the weight progress as planned. At the end of 3 weeks you would have already added 45lbs to squat, at the end of 6 weeks you'd be at 90 lbs added for squats. At the end of 12 weeks that's 180 lbs added to your squat (assuming no stalling).

As far as form goes, the best way to check is to take a vid of it and review it. If you're unsure then post it up for us to see.
  • mfm143
    mfm143 Posts: 131 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    When I started back up lifting a couple years ago I ran the program as designed. The first couple weeks I didn't feel I was doing anything in the gym except work on form.

It doesn't take very long for SL to become challenging if you're following the weight progress as planned. At the end of 3 weeks you would have already added 45lbs to squat, at the end of 6 weeks you'd be at 90 lbs added for squats. At the end of 12 weeks that's 180 lbs added to your squat (assuming no stalling).

As far as form goes, the best way to check is to take a vid of it and review it. If you're unsure then post it up for us to see.

What would you say should be the max time to spend on form? - or is it a "as long as it takes until your form is correct" type of thing? I started ICF 5x5 2 mo ago and have reached a 60 lb squat however I can only do 1/2 squats and because I have only been ++ weight per/week not per/wo bc I too was concerned about form - I'm thinking of scaling back now on my squats and using a Swiss ball to really help improve my form would I just work that into my routine and continue with the program until I can do proper form ? - to OP sorry to high Jack your thread lol
  • DavPul
    Options
    mfm143 wrote: »

What would you say should be the max time to spend on form?

All of the time
    - or is it a "as long as it takes until your form is correct" type of thing? I started ICF 5x5 2 mo ago and have reached a 60 lb squat however I can only do 1/2 squats and because I have only been ++ weight per/week not per/wo bc I too was concerned about form - I'm thinking of scaling back now on my squats and using a Swiss ball to really help improve my form would I just work that into my routine and continue with the program until I can do proper form ? - to OP sorry to high Jack your thread lol

Why would a Swiss ball improve your form on barbell squats?
  • DavPul
    Options

when I use a very low weight (like 50% of max or less) I don't feel any resistance, I feel like I'm just doing bodyweight exercises and swinging my arms in the air and I feel like I haven't done any exercise even after 5x5 reps. maybe if it was 15x5 or 10x5 I would feel something after 8 sets by 5x5 with 50% feels like I haven't done anything

And now here you are, just two weeks in, and the weight is two heavy and your form is whack.....
  • piperdown44
    Options
    mfm143 wrote: »

What would you say should be the max time to spend on form?

All of the time
    - or is it a "as long as it takes until your form is correct" type of thing? I started ICF 5x5 2 mo ago and have reached a 60 lb squat however I can only do 1/2 squats and because I have only been ++ weight per/week not per/wo bc I too was concerned about form - I'm thinking of scaling back now on my squats and using a Swiss ball to really help improve my form would I just work that into my routine and continue with the program until I can do proper form ? - to OP sorry to high Jack your thread lol

Why would a Swiss ball improve your form on barbell squats?

Like DavPul says, every single set of every single rep I'm thinking about form. I don't always upload my vids but I review them frame by frame to see if I'm breaking down somewhere.

The lower weights and taking vids are what helps you get your form right. Not sure what a swiss ball is going to do but if you've got mobility issues you might throw in some pole squats and then work up to goblet squats.

There are also some great vids on increasing squat mobility. Just search "increasing squat mobility". Most of the vids are decent and incorporate the same moves.

• vadimknobel
    Options

And now here you are, just two weeks in, and the weight is two heavy and your form is whack.....

here are 2 more things I'm doing "wrong": 1. exercising barefoot, 2. going up by 10 pounds each workout, not 5 because I don't have 2.5 lb plates ;-p
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If your form breaks down, stop immediately, re-rack, and consider the set a failure. Do not increase weight for the next workout. Form breaking down means the weight is too heavy for you.

If you fail for 3 workouts in a row, lower the weights by 10% for the next workout.

Lifting with bad form at low weights is playing with fire. You're training your body to a bad habit, which can cause serious injury when the weights get heavy.

Barefoot is fine. You need to get 2.5 pound plates, though. You'll max out on press and bench very fast if you don't. They're not expensive.
  • vadimknobel
    Options
    rick_po wrote: »
    If your form breaks down, stop immediately, re-rack, and consider the set a failure. Do not increase weight for the next workout. Form breaking down means the weight is too heavy for you.

If you fail for 3 workouts in a row, lower the weights by 10% for the next workout.

Lifting with bad form at low weights is playing with fire. You're training your body to a bad habit, which can cause serious injury when the weights get heavy.

Barefoot is fine. You need to get 2.5 pound plates, though. You'll max out on press and bench very fast if you don't. They're not expensive.

got it
  • piperdown44
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I squat and deadlift in my socks, have for years.
    You really do need the smaller plates. If the place you go to doesn't have them most guys I know will pack their own. Even smaller plates too, like 1lb plates. At a minimum get some 2.5lbs ones though. Your OHP and bench will thank you.
  • DavPul
    Options

here are 2 more things I'm doing "wrong": 1. exercising barefoot, 2. going up by 10 pounds each workout, not 5 because I don't have 2.5 lb plates ;-p

My apologies as I think I'm in the wrong place. I thought this thread was about stronglifts?
  • vadimknobel
    Options

My apologies as I think I'm in the wrong place. I thought this thread was about stronglifts?

yeah I get it, I'll get those smaller plates :-)