What's best for beginners

Options
what would everyone recommend for an absolute beginner that's in no shape whatsoever as an at home fitness video to help tone up n get into shape

Replies

• OxfordDVM
    OxfordDVM Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started last summer with Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. Then I moved on to Ripped in 30 and 6 Week 6 Pack. You can find tons of free videos on YouTube. I see lots of people on here like fitness blender but I've never used it. The BeFit channel on YouTube has good stuff. I specifically look for things I can watch on my iPad and are 30 minutes. I am about to finish P90X3, but Jillian got me going! Good luck!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Walk, walk and walk some more
  • sessygail
    sessygail Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I agree about walking being a great way to start. Even if only for ten minutes at a shot. Also, Fitness blender.com has some great beginner workouts.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    no matter what you choose, do not over do it and quit. so many hit it hard for 5 seconds and it's so overwhelming they are done. I chose to walk and mess with hand weights and yoga ball. I'm not a very coordinated person and occasionally i ride my bike.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    What's best is what's best for you and usually that means what do you like to do?

Ride a bike? Walk? Run? Hike? Hit the gym (with a daycare)? Get a good running stoller (great for walking too) and bring your child!

What do you think you would enjoy most?
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    One vote for walking here! It's simple, easy, & less stress for knees. I started with just speed walking (is this the correct term? Or power walking?!) and result was obvious.
    I'd say at-home programs are good for people who've been experienced with some sort of workout routines and are looking for the next level. Those are good but you could easily injur yourself if you're doing it wrong...
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Whatever you find you enjoy and can stick at. For me it is weightlifting and yoga - bit of an odd mix but whatever floats your boat!
  • enkiemonkey
    enkiemonkey Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have a super busy schedule so it's hard to hit the gym. But I try to squeeze in 10,000 steps every day. On the weekend I sometimes do yoga. And at times I dance in my room like a crazy person to music that I love. There are some great advice in the posts above. Do what is enjoyable to you first then scale up to other things :)
  • latoyaazwilliams
    Options
    sessygail wrote: »
    I agree about walking being a great way to start. Even if only for ten minutes at a shot. Also, Fitness blender.com has some great beginner workouts.

Thanks for the help ...I'm truly trying to work out and I walk offen but now I truly need something like MFP that will let me burn fat as I watch the food I take in....
  • RadiantChange
    RadiantChange Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    There is even a series of workout tapes called, "walking away the pounds." Really great for getting started.
  • cool_trek1
    cool_trek1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I recommend a friend to support you in your goals. Or even, joining a walking group. Meetup.com, has many free ones in my area, maybe in yours too?