Taking fitness classes....

funkyspunky871
funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I'd really like to take a fitness class like zumba or a spin class, but it seems kind of embarrassing to be working out in front of strangers. Besides, I'd probably be the fattest one there. :\

How do you guys handle embarrassment from working out in front of all these other people? Aren't you even slightly uncomfortable?

Replies

• SaraCPT
    SaraCPT Posts: 5
    Zumba is a great class!!! The greatest thing about taking fitness classes is most of those in there feel just as shy as you do! I recommend doing it, if you need a confidence boost bring a friend! Dont worry about your weight, no one is looking at you like that and in a class like Zumba most people are concentrating on their own foot work too much. I still trip over my own feet from time to time and all you can do is laugh, before you know it, you're laughing and not realizing that you are working out! Try one, you'll be hooked!! And a lot of gyms will give you a pass to try one of their classes, so try many different types, I am sure there is one out there that will fit your personality!
    Have a great workout!!!
  • lildebbie
    lildebbie Posts: 2,068 Member
    Do the classes you will love them, you will get pushed more than you will ever push yourself.

I am pretty heavy, i was 280 when i started the gym mothers day ( i am 272 now), after a few weeks i took my 1st class...i took the water class, i figure there woudl be other heavy people that i wouldn't be the only one (looking in on the class a few weeks first), then I decided to try a spin class ( my husband had been doing them since we started), i am like i am fat i can't do this...but he liked them soo much i sat in the corner and tried it...now tonight i did my fifth one...Not really embarrassed (as i thought i would be) , now there are mirrors everywhere and not really like seing my fat arms in the mirror but that is a different story, it is a good workout

about the same time i started the spinm classes i started a lift class , no i am sure i look silly someimts cause i struggle, but everybody is super nice, the 1st week i didn't know what i needed to get as weights and several ladies were helping me out.

as far as zumba i have NO coordination so i don't know if i will try that one...I wish i could do more but my schedule doesn't allow for more,

I hope you have good luck with find a class you like and enjoy.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    I really suggest Zumba. I've taken a few classes so far and I've seen women of ALL shapes and sizes and ages in the class and having a great time. My instructor is really great and if the steps are too difficult, she encourages us to just keep moving! You don't have to be a professional dancer, the point is to have fun and keep moving. I was a bit self conscious at first but after 5 minutes I was shaking what my momma gave me! hahaha... you won't know what you like until you try, and no one is judging. Everyone is there for the same reasons, to get in better shape and to have fun.
  • everyone is at the gym for the same reason to stay fit or get fit. In all the classes I take there are people of all sizes and the more you take the classes the more you love them and don't worry about anyone else in them. the classes push you so much more than you would push yourself they are wonderful, also type a body pump class for muscle building they are awesome!
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    :flowerforyou:
    you have to just go for it and focus on you instead of the other people--who are feeling the same way you mention btw...
    you'll make friends too and no one at my gym looks at folks other than to smile and say hi and help out if you're not sure what to do or how. my first month i worked late and was there at 11 pm. had the pool all to myself. as i gained confidence on the equipment and enjoyed the ellipticals i started going in days on weekends. most younger folks have their ipods plugged in, so don't worry.
  • crking
    crking Posts: 175
    I take Turbo Kick. It requires a lot of coordination and it's choreographed so you have to keep going back to memorize it. When I first started, I was all over the place but I decided to have fun with it. Now that I have done it for a while and know the choreograph I don't feel stupid BUT I never look at a newbie like they are crazy because I know I was there once. Instead I talk to them and have fun with them. If someone judges you, they are dumb! I praise all of those people who take a step into a gym or class because they are taking a step towards a healthier life style! If someone wants to judge you..they have major issues with themselves..not you!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Working out with others in a Zumba class is what makes it even more fun, you really get into the music and the moves and barely notice the ppl around you when you're in the the zone. Don't let weight stop you from enjoying life anymore. I did it for to long and missed out on so much. One never knows how many of those 'in shape' looking woman were overweight once themselves! ;o)
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    I'm no skinny minny & I take all sorts of classes at my gym including circuit strength training, different cardio & took my first spin classs class week ( second tomorrow!). It's all about going at your pace while having the motivation of the group dynamic. In the end no one is looking at you, as their too busy focusing on what they are doing. I go to an all womans gym with woman of all ages, shapes & sizes. Everyone is very supportive & encouraging. If I can take spin class & not die, you can too!

Perhaps for your first time you can get a friend to go with you to feel less intimidated? A couple of weeks ago a woman in her 50s approached me about classes, which she had the same fears as you. I told her to meet me the next day & now I have her addicted to the classes.

You can do it and who knows... You might just love it!
  • HealthyKt78
    HealthyKt78 Posts: 439
    You just have to do it and not think about anyone else but yourself. You aren't there for them, you're there for you. I take Zumba and sometimes some other classes and I love it. It is so much better than just going on the elliptical or a bike. Being with other people is much more motivating. Just try one out and stay through the entire class. You'll probably enjoy it. Start with a low intensity class. The people who work at the gym will probably be able to tell you what is the best class for someone just starting out.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    I take 2-3 spin classes a week, and I am 275 right now, I dont feel any different than anymone else there, just do it and dont worry about it. At 24hr fitness where I go, all the instructors have been great helping the new people
This discussion has been closed.