how much should i be trying to lose a month?

Options
what's a good/reasonable monthly weight lost goal? im currently 236.5 pounds. im suppose to weigh between 169-125. I want to set monthly weight lost goals to keep myself on track.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Losing a pound a week is a good rate of loss.
  • tgunartoIndonesia
    Options
    For me 1lb per week is quite tough. I would aim 2lbs per month. It is slow but you dont have to suffer. Also slow weight loss help you change your eating lifestyle. So you wont have weight creeping back on later.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I had about 45 pounds to lose to get to the top of the normal range for my height. In the end, I lost about 65. I started with a bit over 1 pound per week for the first six months. It was tough for three weeks or so, then it got easier. After 6 months, I reduced my rate to about 0.75 pounds per week. After that, I went down to about 0.5 pounds for a few months, then about 0.3 until I was at my final goal weight.

Having a strict timeline can be counterproductive for some people. I started with a goal of losing 45 pounds in a year, and I made it, but I also know that if it had taken a year and a half, I would have been OK with that. Other people would be so disappointed by failing to meet their goal that they would give up. Those kind of people are better off setting behavioral goals ("I will log all my food as accurately as possible and aim for a 500-calorie deficit"), not time goals ("I will lose 15 pounds by the end of the year").
  • strangesoul79
    strangesoul79 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am personally shooting for 3-4 lbs per wk. I would like to be down to 300 or less by Christmas.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I would probably aim for 2lbs a week until I had 50-60 to go then just a lb a week until 25 to go, then 0.5 a lb a week after that. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I needed to lose 25# and set it at one pound a week. I lost 6 pretty quickly, then stalled. I lowered it to 0.5 pounds a week and am losing steadily but am not getting hungry, like I was before. It depends on how much you have to lose, but slow and steady wins the game, whatever speed that means to you. When I was at my higher weight loss goal of 1# a week I went over calorie count a fair amount which was frustrating, and now I can keep under most of the time. That's my goal, since I know that if I log everything, accurately, the weight loss will come with time.