how much weight should i be trying to lose in a month?

Options
what's a good/reasonable monthly weight lost goal? im currently 236.5 pounds. im suppose to weigh between 169-125. I want to set monthly weight lost goals to keep myself on track.

Replies

• mewilliams11
    mewilliams11 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think that with consistency, accurate tracking & keeping within your calorie goals, you can safely & easily lose about 10 pounds/ month & should be able to keep up that momentum for a while.

I am 5'5" & I started @ 216 & quite easily dropped 12.5 lbs. my first month. I've stayed within my calorie goal most days & exercised some. I've within reason ate mostly what I wanted but in portion control.
  • SuperSizeMeNot
    SuperSizeMeNot Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I thought 10 pounds a month too but most people tell me that's a bad idea.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    2 pounds a month was best in my case. I knew if I could not lose 2 pounds a month that for sure I was not going to lose 8 pounds a month. :)

Remember it can take 3 months to a year just to get an eating lifestyle that works for you. So give yourself a couple years to get there and learn along the way how to stay at 175 for life is my suggestion.
  • mewilliams11
    mewilliams11 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    At your weight, 10 lbs weight loss a month is definitely attainable for a few months. I'm not saying that has to be your goal, but it's always easier to drop the more you have to lose. You could always set your goal for 5 lbs a month or whatever you want. It's important to set realistic goals so that you don't set yourself up for failure.

My goal is to lose 10 lbs a month & I know that some months I will reach my goal, some I will not. I'm really ok either way because I'm going to continue on my journey even if it takes me a little longer to reach my destination.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I tried very hard not to focus on the number of pounds since a body is going to do what it's going to do, regardless of my dictates about how much to lose in a month. Instead, I put the focus on things like: how many veggies can I eat, how much time can I devote to working out, how far can I walk my dog, how many days in a row can I not eat in a restaurant? Those were all things I could control. The result was successful weight loss and maintenance.
  • inked_illini26
    inked_illini26 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    ^^^ what she said!

I am trying so much more to focus on the action and setting step goals, workout goals, water goals, etc and knowing that with the actions I am putting for the results will follow.

Make the changes and be proud of any movement in the scale, or difference in how your jeans fit, or improvement in your fitness level!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    When you first start a healthy eating plan, you can drop quite a big chunk in the first few weeks (week one especially). The heavier you are, the more you are likely to lose initially. Yes this is just water weight but a loss is a loss in my book so celebrate each one! I started at 157lbs and lost 6 in my first week.

Typically, after a few weeks - the loss will 'slow' to a healthy rate of 1-2lbs per week.

Remember, track your inches too. The inch loss will amaze you :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    2-6 pounds. If you get more, great! Don't set yourself up for disappointment with too ambitious a goal. Each body and each persons choices are different.

SW 301
    CW 196
    GW 150
    15 months.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I've been able to maintain a 5 lb/mo loss for 10 months. It's slow and steady, but I'm focusing on dietary and lifestyle habits I will be able to stick to even after I reach my goal weight.

Nov 2014: 270 lbs
    Sept 2015: 220 lbs

Goal: 180 lbs
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I set my goal to 8 lbs a month, 5'7" and started at 259.4. The first bit it just melts off, but it's easy to get caught up in those numbers. I try to remind myself that this is not a race, it's a good idea to try to keep it at a realistic long-term goal. I'm sure around Christmas or so I'll hit a point where 6 lbs/month is more realistic unless I've really upped my fitness.
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I tried very hard not to focus on the number of pounds since a body is going to do what it's going to do, regardless of my dictates about how much to lose in a month. Instead, I put the focus on things like: how many veggies can I eat, how much time can I devote to working out, how far can I walk my dog, how many days in a row can I not eat in a restaurant? Those were all things I could control. The result was successful weight loss and maintenance.

This! This! Exactly this! I started at 268... I planned to lose 10-12 lbs per month because that was my "plan"... i have lost 70 lbs but it has taken 2.5 years. Not the 7-8 months i had "planned"on. you CAN do it, this forum is full of people who have done it... but it really does take time and patience, patience and time... totally doable tho.
    best of luck to you and welcome!

• allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I started at 295 on Feb 22 2015 I am down to 239 that is about 2 lbs a week. I wouldn't go any higher than that. Be safe and healthy. First you have to find your balance, a plan that works for you, you could lose more or less per week.