To breakfast or not to breakfast?

Options
My work schedule has changed and I have to go in a little earlier than before.

My breakfast would be at 7:00am, lunch at 11:00am and dinner around 4:00pm. But I will have an opportunity to eat around 9:15am if I need to and then at 2:15. My schedule is very rigid.

I was thinking about having my morning coffee and a piece of fruit first thing and then having a breakfast at 9:15. But I have never gone without proper breakfast right after I get up before. Some say not to eat at all until a few hours after you get up, others say to eat right away.

I'm in a maintenance mode and I eat rather healthy :)

So I'm just wondering.. what is your breakfast routine like? When do you eat and how much?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Well whenever you have a period of not consuming food, i.e. a fast, and then you eat something... you're having breakfast - you're breaking the fast.

• noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I never usually eat breakfast. I find it makes me ravenous a few hours later, regardless of what I eat for it. Whereas if I don't eat breakfast, I don't get hungry until the afternoon.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Well whenever you have a period of not consuming food, i.e. a fast, and then you eat something... you're having breakfast - you're breaking the fast.
    +1
    I never usually eat breakfast. I find it makes me ravenous a few hours later, regardless of what I eat for it. Whereas if I don't eat breakfast, I don't get hungry until the afternoon.

So you're breaking your fast in the afternoon. That's breakfast. I know, stupid name for a meal.
    That's why they call it "early piece" in German and "pre-lunch" in Greek.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Gritty_Gal wrote: »
    My work schedule has changed and I have to go in a little earlier than before.

My breakfast would be at 7:00am, lunch at 11:00am and dinner around 4:00pm. But I will have an opportunity to eat around 9:15am if I need to and then at 2:15. My schedule is very rigid.

I was thinking about having my morning coffee and a piece of fruit first thing and then having a breakfast at 9:15. But I have never gone without proper breakfast right after I get up before. Some say not to eat at all until a few hours after you get up, others say to eat right away.

I'm in a maintenance mode and I eat rather healthy :)

So I'm just wondering.. what is your breakfast routine like? When do you eat and how much?

Eat whenever you want. There is no rule. Everyone has their preferences and their schedules that they try to make work.
    Coffee and a piece of fruit first thing and then more food at 9:15 makes good sense. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast when I'm hungry. Could be at 6am or 9am. My days go MUCH better when I'm not hungry before 9am though!
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    The actual process/ritual of making my morning oatmeal seems to help me wake up and transition into a productive day. Not to mention it lets me focus on school and not feel tired or hungry. Up to you though
  • Gritty_Gal
    Gritty_Gal Posts: 96 Member
    Options

A philosopher I see :wink:
  • Gritty_Gal
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I eat breakfast when I'm hungry. Could be at 6am or 9am. My days go MUCH better when I'm not hungry before 9am though!

I like your point about eating when you are hungry and not out of habit. The only thing I'm worried about is, if I get hungry between 7:30 - 9:15 and won't be able to eat until my break... But I guess I could try it.

And just out of curiosity... why does you day go better if you eat later? Does it have to do with how you feel; how much you eat; how much energy you have?
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I get up really early and have 2 breakfasts, one as soon as I get up and then another at a "normal" time, or one light breakfast and heavier lunch, like yogurt and coffee, or 150 protein bar with coffee.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

On a work day I either eat when I first get up (between 5 and 5:30) or I go swim or run and then eat (so end up eating around 6:30). On the weekend I sometimes wait until I've been up for a couple hours, but it still ends up being between 7 and 8 (I am a morning person lately).

I find that my hunger follows my routine. I know lots of people have strong natural inclinations about eating in the morning vs. not, and on the whole I'm more of an "I prefer to eat right away" person, but at times in my life I've skipped breakfast for a period of time (years even) and quickly adapted to not eating until later.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Diabetics must eat on a routine and not skip. Just throwing it out there.

OP when I had a schedule like yours I pre packed all my snacks and meals the night before-including breakfast-and just had a glass of water before I left the house.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I like your point about eating when you are hungry and not out of habit. The only thing I'm worried about is, if I get hungry between 7:30 - 9:15 and won't be able to eat until my break... But I guess I could try it.

And just out of curiosity... why does you day go better if you eat later? Does it have to do with how you feel; how much you eat; how much energy you have?

It's usually better that way because I skip my mid morning snack and can possibly have a later lunch, so I have more calories for the rest of the day. Days when I'm hungry at 6am typically suck, lol.

I hear you though about worrying about being hungry between 7.30 and 9.15, but personally if I had a piece of fruit only when I get up, I'd be starving an hour later... so it would possibly be worse. I guess in your situation if I was hungry at 7am, I'd eat a big breakfast, if I wasn't, I'd have a Greek yogurt or an hard boiled egg (something small but with protein and/or fat) and have something else at 9.15am if I'm hungry again then.

But I guess it depends on how it makes you feel if you have to wait until 9.15am. We're all different.. a lot of people do fine without breakfast or can deal with hunger well if they have to wait a couple hours to eat... I'm not one of those people, lol.

Hope you find something that works for you.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I usually have a green smoothie with protein powder around 7AM and it keeps me full until lunch at noon. Just having fruit might spike your blood sugar and actually make you hungrier than if you you didn't eat. Try adding some protein.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Most days I skip breakfast. I typically don't get hungry until mid-late afternoon, so that's typically the first time I eat.

But if I do get hungry earlier, then I eat something.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I like a light breakfast, so its not really skipping, but calorie wise, its like a snack.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat when I get hungry. I work from home and start my day around 6:15. Some days I eat as early as 7, others I may not eat until 10 or 11. Just depends on the day. I agree with Francl27 that the later I eat, the better my day goes. I don't seem to get as hungry and they are usually my lowest calorie days.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont typically eat breakfast (well, lately i have but whatever). i do eat an early lunch and early dinner.

do what works best for you.
  • Gritty_Gal
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Just having fruit might spike your blood sugar and actually make you hungrier than if you you didn't eat. Try adding some protein.

Good point. Thank you for the suggestion :)