Need Muscle Milk Help

Options
Okay, I got some GREAT advice yesterday on my diet and getting in more of the good stuff. Now I purchased some Muscle Milk and need help figuring it out. I didn't find the light so I'll stick to one scoop. Its a long story but I have really bad teeth-more info on the former anorexic thread on general weight loss, etc. Anyway, one recommendation was protein powder to help boost my protein. I don't want to bulk up, I just want to get more protein. I am nervous enough taking my calories from 1500 to nearly 1800 for the TDEE-20% thing!

Replies

• cgolguin
    cgolguin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, you wont bulk up as long as your not consuming A LOT of calories/protein. And depending on what type of excercising you're doing, using weights that have you failing at around 12-15 reps. BUT...if your not exercising at all, then some of the protein and carbs that your taking in will turn to fat. So make sure to do SOME type of exercise, and put #BootsToAsses on your progress;)
  • MichelleBogart
    MichelleBogart Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I already started moving again, I rode my bike up to get the Muscle Milk! LOL
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    So are you confused about muscle milk (or supplementing protein in general), or are you worried about the increase in cals?

If you're worried about increase cals, do it slowly... 100 cals or so every 2 weeks until you get where you want to be. If you're confused about supplementing protein, more protein is rarely bad. Muscle milk has a lot of other stuff in it too (at least it did last I drank it), so you'll be increase fats and carbs too (not necessarily a bad thing, but not really protein supplement considering all the other stuff that's in it).
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    With lack of transportation and lack of funds, I had to get what I could find and afford. I know its not ideal but if this works to help, then next time I will find something more appropriate. Thank you on the going up by 100 calories thing, I think that's a good idea.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk is just fine. It's reasonably priced, tastes decent and is readily available. You don't need the latest and greatest in protein powders.

I like mine mixed with Greek yogurt and a little water to help it dissolve. Add some cut up fruit, almonds, and maybe some flax seed for additional good fats. I also mix into ice cream and milk for some great protein milk shakes. You have to up your protein and fat and this will help your body recover.

My wife is a 40 year old former anorexic and cancer survivor. Heavy lifting in addition to a high protein diet has really helped her recovery. Please take care of yourself and work on eating those fats and protein.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    With lack of transportation and lack of funds, I had to get what I could find and afford. I know its not ideal but if this works to help, then next time I will find something more appropriate. Thank you on the going up by 100 calories thing, I think that's a good idea.

I didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong with muscle milk, only that it's more than just protein.
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    I haven't been anorexic for several years but I don't think I ever got my body healed either.
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    I didn't take offense, I was unsure of my choice as well. But $19 was a high as I was willing to go for a test run! LOL
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    One of the things I am confused about is whether I am supposed to use this as a meal or just supplement. I am a bit lost on that one!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    One of the things I am confused about is whether I am supposed to use this as a meal or just supplement. I am a bit lost on that one!

If you're having trouble hitting your calories then use it as an extra meal. I wouldn't replace whole foods with powder though. I use it much more when I'm gaining weight than when I do when I'm losing weight for that reason.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

For the most part, it doesn't matter. Drink it whenever you want so that you are getting the cals you need on a daily basis. If it helps you think of it as a supplement (additional calories/nutrition on top of what you'd normally eat), then that's fine. Sometimes the convenience of them make them a good option as a meal, too.
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    I'm glad I got up the courage to ask questions, thanks for all the help over the last two days. It was very discouraging to be doing everything right and stop losing for like three months. Then to gain a few was really upsetting. I will get moving again as well.