Can you gain from eating too little calories?

Options
Sakura00005
Sakura00005 Posts: 12 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I am in the Army National Guard. I weight like 160lbs I need to weigh about 145lbs by oct 20th or else stoof will go down in the army for me. And I don't want that to happen. I'm trying my hardest to lose weight. I exercise everyday, doing about 12min jog per mile everyday and will eventually increase it to 2miles per day. I input all the food I eat daily and every time I do it tells me I don't eat enough calories. That I need to eat like 1,000 cal a day. I eat like around 900 cal a day (I eat tofu/onions/mushroom/oatmeal with banana/94% fat free 100 cal popcorn/tilapia and green beans everyday. Is it okay to just ignore the whole 1,000 cal rule and just continue with my 900 cal a day? Or Will I gain weight by doing so?

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You won't gain weight - but I can only see you losing weight up to a point.
    You are on a very unhealthily low calorie plan. 1200 is the absolute minimum ANYONE should be eating regardless of height and weight. You'll probably find a nice little weight loss boost if you fuel your body correctly.
  • Sakura00005
    Options
    I tried once to eat more calories but then I end up eating too much protein... What food would be best to raise cal and cal only?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    are you weighing your food accurately?

if you are not losing, you are eating at maintenance or above.

protein has nothing to do with it.
  • Sakura00005
    Options

Yeah I use a measuring cup to measure it all so that it's accurate.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    you need to use a scale.

you are eating more than you think you are.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    More protein is fine.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    15lbs in 6 weeks is not a healthy rate to lose weight. What will happen if you haven't reached your goal weight by then?
  • Sakura00005
    Options
    I tried once to eat more calories but then I end up eating too much protein... What food would be best to raise cal and cal only?

It's highly unlikely you ate too much protein. How many grams of protein was it that you thought it was too much?

The tilapia has 25g of protein. The tofu has 12g of protein. whole grain oats have 6g. banana has 1. mushroom w/spinach has 6. green beans have 3. popcorn has 4. This morning I had an egg 9g protein (i usually don't have it but today i did). total of 66g of protein. my daily goal is 69g of protein. but my cal total is 920. I wanted to add more spinach to gain more cal but then it would increase the protein over the goal .. so I left it alone
  • Sakura00005
    Options
    you need to use a scale.

I use a scale to measure my weigh but not to measure food... The bag usually tells me how many cups = 1 serving. Not in oz.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Why do you care about a protein goal of 69 grams, though?
  • Sakura00005
    Options

I thought that the cal/carb/fat/protein/sodium/sugar goals all have to be no more than the goal number or it would increase one's weight or something. Or tip the scale a lil more than it should. (Like the saying. too much of anything is not good for one's health)

• Sakura00005
    edited September 2015
    Options

It's highly unlikely you ate too much protein. How many grams of protein was it that you thought it was too much?

The tilapia has 25g of protein. The tofu has 12g of protein. whole grain oats have 6g. banana has 1. mushroom w/spinach has 6. green beans have 3. popcorn has 4. This morning I had an egg 9g protein (i usually don't have it but today i did). total of 66g of protein. my daily goal is 69g of protein. but my cal total is 920. I wanted to add more spinach to gain more cal but then it would increase the protein over the goal .. so I left it alone

69g of protein is not to much. 75 or 85 is not too much. A solid target for protein intake can be anywhere from .6-.87g per lb of bodyweight in protein. You also mentioned things you ate and from the looks of it you are very low on dietary fat which is vital to optimal health. You are neglecting the 2 important macronutrients, protein and fat.

I'm just doing what the little chart tells me my goal numbers are D: I don't even see dietary category on the chart. I try not to drink milk or eat cheese because it has so much fat in it.... same with meat (unless it's chicken then I have that every so often) and especially when you cook it in oil .... I'm amazed how oil has like 23g of fat for 1tblespoon.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

I thought that the cal/carb/fat/protein/sodium/sugar goals all have to be no more than the goal number or it would increase one's weight or something. Or tip the scale a lil more than it should. (Like the saying. too much of anything is not good for one's health)
    You can eat more protein and less carbs or fat so that your calorie total is still on point. 69g of protein is nowhere near "too much."

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    It's good to incorporate protein in to your plan especially if you're working out - but remember, it's the deficit that's important here. I don't know your stats but 900 is too low, I can tell you that now. Put your details into the MFP app and it'll add it up for you and tell you how much you should be eating :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    the macros do not matter.

the amount of calories you are taking in DOES.

Learn to weigh your food properly.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    you need to use a scale.

I use a scale to measure my weigh but not to measure food... The bag usually tells me how many cups = 1 serving. Not in oz.
    Measuring cups are made for liquids only. Your food will also give you a number in grams. That is what you should be using. You can get a food scale that weighs in grams for about 10 bucks. You can eat as much protein as you want so long as calories remain in check. Extra protein does not cause weight gain. So long as you remain in a calorie deficit, you will not gain weight.

• ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    you need to use a scale.

Cup measurements are only for liquids, you need to use a kitchen scale for solid foods, otherwise it can be wildly inaccurate.

And to emphasize what others have said: it's okay to eat lots of protein.
  • Sakura00005
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    you need to use a scale.

Measuring cups are made for liquids only. Your food will also give you a number in grams. That is what you should be using. You can get a food scale that weighs in grams for about 10 bucks. You can eat as much protein as you want so long as calories remain in check. Extra protein does not cause weight gain. So long as you remain in a calorie deficit, you will not gain weight.
    ammo7 wrote: »
    you need to use a scale.

Cup measurements are only for liquids, you need to use a kitchen scale for solid foods, otherwise it can be wildly inaccurate.

Okay. I understand now about why I should use a scale and not a measuring cup. The protein thing still baffles me but seeing as so many say more protein is fine I shall eat more protein and enough cal for that 1,000 mark.

• Sakura00005
    Options
    No, eating too few calories will not cause weight gain. Eating too few calories can easily lead to not getting proper nutrition which is important no matter what the weight goal is.
    You won't gain weight - but I can only see you losing weight up to a point.
    You are on a very unhealthily low calorie plan. 1200 is the absolute minimum ANYONE should be eating regardless of height and weight. You'll probably find a nice little weight loss boost if you fuel your body correctly.

Francl27 wrote: »
    More protein is fine.
    15lbs in 6 weeks is not a healthy rate to lose weight. What will happen if you haven't reached your goal weight by then?
    vismal wrote: »
    you need to use a scale.

ammo7 wrote: »
    you need to use a scale.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!! :smiley: