How many reps when you lift

Options
michellejaneowen919
michellejaneowen919 Posts: 22 Member
edited September 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I try to incorporate free weights into my circuit training but I need some advice how many reps and sets I should do to see any benefit in terms of tone and not just a general workout.
I do things like arm curls and rows with bell weights. Kettle bell swings and then various medicine ball moves (basically I don't know the names)
Thanks

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You.....should probably find a program that incorporates the moves your want to do and follow that. I don't think you're prepared to just wing it quite yet
  • Shanks3x3x3
    Shanks3x3x3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You might want to check out programs such as Strong Lifts, New Rules for Lifting for Women or the Nia Shanks Program 3x3x3. No point wasting your time or risking injury
  • michellejaneowen919
    Options
    Thanks will check them out.
    Although I don't know names I'm very careful to nail technique of lifts before I tackle them and monitor form. Generally now I just kind of do one or two sets of each though
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    StongLifts 5x5 is a progressive program of five sets of five compound lifts (squat, bench press, overhead press, row and deadlift) using a barbell. You could design your program around the full-body moves with your Kettlebell and dumbbells but to progress it may be better to lift heavier with an Olympic barbell and cage. A full-body program can help maintain a muscle balance. For instance, it can work quads and hams equally.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    You.....should probably find a program that incorporates the moves your want to do and follow that. I don't think you're prepared to just wing it quite yet

This. I think this is by far the best way to see progress consistently. (I spun my wheels winging it for a while and learned some stuff, but I wish I'd focused on a program in a more devoted way sooner.)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Well tone isn't so much from the weights, it's more from a lowering of body fat percentage. Unless you mean to gain a small amount of muscle for a more appealing physique. And honestly I'd suggest finding a workout program to fit your goals. Also to do it independent from your circuit training. Weight lifting is meant to be done in a controlled safe manner, not while gasping for air while flailing the weights around in an attempt to add to your workout. Could just result in an injury from poor form and high weights. Also reps/sets are 100% dependant on individual goals. I personally aim for 10 reps x 3-4 sets per movement. And 4-6 reps for more of a strength reward than hypertrophy.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    ^^^I agree.

Keep it light (but not ridiculously light) and high reps and sets if it's for circuit training. Too heavy would need to be done in a very controlled manner.