Pumpkin Pie Spice

Options
KiwiAlexP
KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
Hi

Just a random question for people who live in the US.

My Facebook and Pinterest are starting to fill up with reference to pumpkin pie spice flavoured everything and since its not something we have here in NZ I was wondering if the items are flavoured with pumpkin and spice or are just flavoured with the spices used to make the pumpkin pie. The thought of actual pumpkin in things sounds kind of gross but just spice sounds nice

Thanks

Replies

• cdmanney
    cdmanney Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think they mean "pumpkin" flavored things and not necessarily the spice itself. I like pumpkin anything (pie, coffee, muffins, cookies, candy, even beer!), but I think sometimes the spice is overdone. It's the pumpkin flavor I want (with only a bit of spice)!
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Good to know - I won't be ordering pumpkin spice items then
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    It depends on what it is. Pumpkin spice lattes for example are just the spice flavor with no real pumpkin in them. This morning for breakfast I had pumpkin spice steel cut oats, but I also put in real pumpkin so I could get the orange color and because I like the taste. If I add pumpkin to things, I add the pumpkin pie spice, too. But I don't necessarily add pumpkin to all things I add the spice to (like lattes/coffees).
  • cdmanney
    cdmanney Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I think o just don't like the cloves. Cinnamon and nutmeg are good though.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    It usually refers to the spice blend.
  • TS054
    TS054 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    to my homemade pumpkin pie spice I put in cinnamon, nutmeg,allspice, alittle bit of cloves which is optional. It makes for a very good pie spice.