Been "working out" for about two months without any noticeable difference

Options

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ben7072 wrote: »
    Okay, started logging food two days ago. I was just curious, so I kept eating what I had been eating to see how it would all stack up.

Looks like I'm coming in at just a few hundred calories under goal each day (so far, anyway--two days =/= two weeks). So if I am losing weight, it must just be happening really slowly. What really surprises me is the calorie loss it's claiming for my walk--a little over 400 calories for two miles? Is it busted, or am I losing such a high amount each time only because I'm as overweight as I am (290 at 5'10")? Also, do I need to be consistent about the time of day I weigh myself?

I definitely get over 10k steps a day--a lot of that comes from the two-mile walk, but there's also plenty of steps taken throughout the day around the office, to the train station, and to lunch.

MFP does tend to overestimate calorie burns. A lot of people only credit themselves for half of what MFP says they burned. Are you using MFP to determine calorie burns, or do you have an activity tracker (like a Fitbit)?

You should weigh yourself at the same time of the day, yes. Preferable first thing in the morning, after going to the bathroom, with no clothes on.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Okay, started logging food two days ago. I was just curious, so I kept eating what I had been eating to see how it would all stack up.

Looks like I'm coming in at just a few hundred calories under goal each day (so far, anyway--two days =/= two weeks). So if I am losing weight, it must just be happening really slowly. What really surprises me is the calorie loss it's claiming for my walk--a little over 400 calories for two miles? Is it busted, or am I losing such a high amount each time only because I'm as overweight as I am (290 at 5'10")? Also, do I need to be consistent about the time of day I weigh myself?

I definitely get over 10k steps a day--a lot of that comes from the two-mile walk, but there's also plenty of steps taken throughout the day around the office, to the train station, and to lunch.

The burns might be inflated, especially if you're relying on MFP to estimate them. It's hard to say. Most people stick to about 50-75% to be safe.

You should absolutely be consistent about weighing in. Time of day, where you put your scale, what you're wearing, when you last ate/drank something or used the restroom all have an effect on your scale weight.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

That sounds high. There's a formula you can use for a good rough estimate of walking, assuming 3-4mph speeds:

.53 * your weight in lbs * miles
  • ben7072
    ben7072 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Again, can you open your diary?

I... thought I had. Is there something I'm missing? I set my diary to public a couple days ago and just confirmed that, but is there another toggle somewhere?
  • ben7072
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    That sounds high. There's a formula you can use for a good rough estimate of walking, assuming 3-4mph speeds:

.53 * your weight in lbs * miles

Easy enough! So... about 355.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    What really surprises me is the calorie loss it's claiming for my walk--a little over 400 calories for two miles?

That seems high. What speed are you selecting?

I burn about 200 cal/hour while walking and I walk 5 km/h (12.5 min/km).

Then I usually only eat about half that back.

• betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options

What does logging mean? Are you weighing your food? from looking at your diary i see a lot of "cups". Are you using a food scale to weigh and "log" your food? if not your probably eating more than you think you are.
  • 555_FILK
    555_FILK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    yogacat13 wrote: »
    My (thin) husband was curious when I started MFP, so he loaded the app and started logging his food. He was shocked. He honestly had no idea about the calorie, fat or salt content of his food. It's very easy to eat more than you think you're eating, and weighing, measuring and logging your food, even for a brief period, can really be eye-opening (even to thin people!). Give it a try.

How did he stay thin if he was over-eating??! :o

amoynoodle wrote: »
    This is a really good start and you should be proud. But what you need to do is, like everyone has said, start logging your food. I used to "eat healthy" but when i started logging, i realised how off i was!! Also, you need to get into the mindset that at your size this is NOT going to be a quick easy journey. You will likely be on this path for years before youre at a point that you feel happy. I dont mean that in any sort of malicious way, you just need to think of this as a new lifestyle, not just a "diet".

amoynoodle, your thoughts are great and this might be nit-picking, but I want to add one comment for Ben:

It doesn't have to be years before you are happy. Not by a long shot. There will be progress points all along the way that will make you happy! In fact, you should be happy NOW, as you've made a terrific self-realization, found an amazingly helpful community, cut out soda, and started exercising. No wonder you are feeling better.

You'll also be happy the first 10 pounds you lose. And the next 10. And the first time you have to buy smaller clothes. And the first time people start asking if you are losing weight. And on and on.

As amoynoodle said, this isn't a "diet". It's a new lifestyle - one which is already providing benefits and will continue to provide many more.

Just like life - this is all about the journey!
  • krazykarenn
    krazykarenn Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you have made a great start! It's frustrating to be trying so hard and not seeing a difference. Keep it up, listen to all the advice and use what works for you.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Just curious. When you started your fitness routine, were you taking your blood pressure and heart rate regularly? I saw a significant drop in my heart rate when I started running. It's these sorts of results that you see from exercise. Greater fitness. My guess is as you tighten up just a little bit on your eating, you are going to start seeing results.
  • ben7072
    edited September 2015
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    What does logging mean? Are you weighing your food? from looking at your diary i see a lot of "cups". Are you using a food scale to weigh and "log" your food? if not your probably eating more than you think you are.

Hi--not weighing, but I am over-estimating. If something looks like a cup and a half, I will list two cups. But with the orange chicken, for example, I listed two cups because after it was cooked, I split it up into even portions and then just did the math. But the sesame chicken couldn't be right, now that I think about it--it was basically fried chicken with a thick sesame sauce, but the site lists an impossibly small amount of calories and sodium. So even though the portion was approximately correct, I don't think it's the same kind of chicken. I'm happy that you were able to see my diary--I was worried that it wasn't working!

On another note, I was surprised this evening when I tried on some 2X shirts (I had unfortunately moved up to 3X about a year ago), and they suddenly fit again. So despite not actually losing any weight, I'm... losing inches? Not sure how that works, but I'll just keep at it and keep checking the scale periodically. Obviously, though, I have to ditch the Chinese/Japanese food lunches and start focusing on bringing lunch from home.

Thank you all, by the way--the encouraging atmosphere in here is unexpected and appreciated.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    MFP%20Flowchart%20lemonlionheart_zps3s3xqead.jpg
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I just want to congratulate you on the changes you've made, and the exercise you're doing. Well done.

One thing I'd like to ask is what condition is the scale you're weighing yourself on in? There's a possibility it's not accurate enough to show the changes.

Good luck, and happy food logging & weighing!
  • yogacat13
    yogacat13 Posts: 124 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    555_FILK wrote: »
    My (thin) husband was curious when I started MFP, so he loaded the app and started logging his food. He was shocked. He honestly had no idea about the calorie, fat or salt content of his food. It's very easy to eat more than you think you're eating, and weighing, measuring and logging your food, even for a brief period, can really be eye-opening (even to thin people!). Give it a try.

He had gained a little bit of weight, maybe 10-15 pounds, but was still well within a healthy range. He was concerned because he had gone from a 33" trouser to a 34" (he's 6'1"). It's gone now, all he had to do was stop having a piece of cake at work in the afternoon and drink a bit less beer. He still has ice cream several times a week though.
  • 555_FILK
    555_FILK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    555_FILK wrote: »

He had gained a little bit of weight, maybe 10-15 pounds, but was still well within a healthy range. He was concerned because he had gone from a 33" trouser to a 34" (he's 6'1"). It's gone now, all he had to do was stop having a piece of cake at work in the afternoon and drink a bit less beer. He still has ice cream several times a week though.

OK gotcha. Thought maybe he had a secret that we'd all love to know. B)
  • Pandapotato
    Pandapotato Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Ben, just wanted to add-- it looks like you eat out for lunch, by your diary and "bento box" comment. And here's the thing-- HOW something is prepared can have a HUGE impact on calorie count. One place can do stir fry veggies with a tiny spray of oil, and another can practically deep fry the stuff, or add in stuff like butter, etc, and that can create a swing of hundreds of calories. Similarly, one teriyaki sauce might be runny and have 30 cals a table spoon and another is like pure syrup and 90 calories. One house dressing on the salad could be light, another ridiculous. Etc, etc.

Also FYI, I've successfully lost weight several times in the past, and I always found that the first week or two after adding in exercise, my weight plateaued momentarily. This was easy to see because there was a time weight watchers "introduced" exercise 3-5 weeks into the program rather than immediately. Sometimes your muscles can get sore/retain water. But then after a few weeks, my weight often dropped by 3-5 lbs practically overnight as I adjusted to my new routine.

Sounds like you've made a lot of good changes and your future baby will have a healthier dad!
  • ben7072
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, pandapotato! Haha, yeah, the sauce was definitely closer to a syrup. I had a deli sandwich today for lunch, and I think I'm going to stick to that for a bit. :)
  • Verivus
    Verivus Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Even sandwiches can be deceptively high calorie, but as long as you track everything accurately then you'll be fine.
  • ben7072
    Options
    Agreed! I listed a subway sandwich since it was the closest thing, but I went to a mom-and-pop deli. No mayo, no cheese, but it was still roast beef, lol. Certainly must have been highly caloric.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    OP: It helps to mostly eat home prepared food, especially at the beginning. It's hard to reliably estimate the calories in restaurant food and the portions can be very large. Is there a reason you can't bring your own lunch to work?