Please guide me on HIIT Treadmill

Options
I was recently told that HIIT is much more effective than long cardio, so I'm thinking of doing that. Is it ever possible to do it 30 minutes + 5min warm-up in the beginning, 7 days a week? Or is it not possible at all? Also, people say that the heart rate should be 60~70% of the maximum heart rate, but I'm not sure about mine. I keep mine at about 170. If someone could link to a calculator site that is accurate, that's be appreciated.

I also do little bit of muscle workouts before the cardio, followed by about 10 min rest. Should this be avoided during HIIT sessions?

Replies

• sarahsamuels82
    sarahsamuels82 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you do hiit properly then doing it 7 days a week isn't necessary. It is definitely possible but it will be very hard on your body. Id say 30 mins is also too long if you are just starting out with it. Try 10 mins first.

If you're doing weights, depending on the intensity, then doing 30 mins hiit afterwards would also be too much. 10-20 mins is fine - but listen to your body.

Also don't worry about max heart rates at this point, too much detail! :)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    qkrzazzang wrote: »
    I was recently told that HIIT is much more effective than long cardio, so I'm thinking of doing that. Is it ever possible to do it 30 minutes + 5min warm-up in the beginning, 7 days a week? Or is it not possible at all? Also, people say that the heart rate should be 60~70% of the maximum heart rate, but I'm not sure about mine. I keep mine at about 170. If someone could link to a calculator site that is accurate, that's be appreciated.

I also do little bit of muscle workouts before the cardio, followed by about 10 min rest. Should this be avoided during HIIT sessions?

OP(qkrzazzang) this is you:

More effective for what?

What type or plan are you looking at for 30 minutes workout?

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Have you been exercising for a while and are at the point where you need to perfect your training to optimise results? If not, then HIIT will not change anything. There are indeed some benefits to HIIT, for athletes. For the rest of us, it really does not matter, it is just the new trendy thing to do.
  • big_striker
    big_striker Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Try doing 30 seconds sprint with 30 seconds rest and repeat. When resting just stand on the sides of the treadmill and then hop back on. Be extremely careful when doing this as it is tricky. I would try 10 or 11 mph then move up another 1mph once you get the hang of it. 12-14mph should be plenty and you'll be lucky to last 10mins! I have only done this a few times so hopefully someone can provide better info. 30mins is far too much. 18-20mins is usually the max you should do. If this becomes easy, either sprint for longer and rest shorter or up the speed
  • qkrzazzang
    qkrzazzang Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

More effective for what?

My primary goal is to burn fat.

• qkrzazzang
    Options

More effective for what?

• qkrzazzang
    edited September 2015
    Options

More effective for what?

• qkrzazzang
    Options
    .. not sure why it got a multiple posting
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

If you are truly doing HIIT, you should not be doing it 7 days a week.
  • qkrzazzang
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Have you been exercising for a while and are at the point where you need to perfect your training to optimise results? If not, then HIIT will not change anything. There are indeed some benefits to HIIT, for athletes. For the rest of us, it really does not matter, it is just the new trendy thing to do.

Well, I've been doing cardio for 3 weeks now.. and I'm still in a terrible shape. 5"8, 220lb.
  • qkrzazzang
    edited September 2015
    Options

If you are truly doing HIIT, you should not be doing it 7 days a week.

Thanks for the reply. For doing HIIT 3~4 times a week as many suggests, would I be burning the similar amount of calories as doing low intensity cardio for 7 days a week (if counted weekly of course)? I've been doing steady cardio for 45 minutes 7 days a week.