Weights and Plateau

Options
I was steadily losing just under a lb per week staying on track with my goals and doing zumba/ elliptical workouts. I read many things about how weight lifting will increase and speed up weight loss so I decided to give it a whirl. I started at the beginning of this month with weights and I have not lost anything since. Could the weights be somehow impairing my weight loss?

I thought I was being reasonable thinking it would take me close to a year (give or take) to lose 50lbs. The 50 lbs will put me smack in the center of my healthy weight range. I will temporarily open up my food dairy. It's not "clean" but I don't think i eat like crap either.

(i know my water intake could use some improvement)

Replies

• operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I gained 3 lbs this week after starting lifting 2 weeks ago :p It has to be water weight... I know lifting will not hinder weight loss at all, but still discouraging seeing the scale either not move at all or worse move in the wrong direction :(
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Well my friend here are my suggestions and you can take it or leave it. I'm not a dietician or PT just going off of my experience. Decrease your carbs and increase your protein. I looked at yesterday's log and you were six away from hitting your carb goal but way under for your protein. Try keeping your carbs around 120-130 and increase your protein to at least the daily goal.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    When muscles repair, they retain water to heal themselves. Not losing or even gaining a little weight is pretty normal for someone who first starts weight training.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    yes your'e right scotty- I do need to be better with my protein. I struggle getting it in without going over calories. I will need to stalk friends food diary's and see what they are eating.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    looking at your diary you are eating a lot of carbs - try and keep them below 100g a day (net of fibre) and eat more fat (mono) and protein. Also you are probably not lifting heavy enough, lifting light weights is a waste of time. Also try and do compound moves