Hardgainer

Options
Heya

Working out about 3 years now. Daily job is sitting at chair whole day long. Overall looking good (187cm height, 82kg weight). Want few kilos more (about 90+).

I was always skinny dude and a hardgainer.

Past week or so I am counting calories. Around 3500 daily intake of good foods. Nonsmoker but hitting few beers every night.

Problem is I don't see too much of gaining progress.

Any advice please. Should I start drinking gainers?

Thanks

Replies

• jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Heya

Working out about 3 years now. Daily job is sitting at chair whole day long. Overall looking good (187cm height, 82kg weight). Want few kilos more (about 90+).

Past week or so I am counting calories. Around 3500 daily intake of good foods. Nonsmoker but hitting few beers every night.

Thanks

Hi. Fellow hardgainer here. If you aren't increasing on 3,500, increase the calories a bit more and reassess in a few weeks. I was like you last year in that I increased my calories to 3,000 and 3,500 but wasn't gaining. It wasn't until I hit 4,000 calories daily that I started to gain. Up to you if you want to start drinking gainers but I don't. Try to eat as many of the calories as you can but drink full fat milk to help. Also if you have a shake consisting of a scoop of protein powder, a scoop of oats, banana, peanut butter, full fat milk, that should help to increase the calories as well.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Heya

Thanks

So you have only been counting calories for a week? Are you using a food scale to weigh all solids?

It can typically take up to two weeks, sometimes more, for the scale to catch up to the increase in calories.

I would suggest keep eating at 3500 for another week and see what happens. If no gain, then increase to 3600 and so on until you start gaining.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Heya

Thanks

So you have only been counting calories for a week? Are you using a food scale to weigh all solids?

It can typically take up to two weeks, sometimes more, for the scale to catch up to the increase in calories.

I would suggest keep eating at 3500 for another week and see what happens. If no gain, then increase to 3600 and so on until you start gaining.

Agree..."past week or so" is far to short of a timeframe to be expecting to see "gaining progress."

Stick with your plan for at least 3-4 weeks. If after that time you're not making expected progress, up your calories a bit and repeat.
  • djordjekomljenovic
    Options
    Thanks all for your prompt suggestions.
  • djordjekomljenovic
    Options
    By the way, can I add more calories via fast carbs like sugars (chocolate or something)?. I am kinda always low on carbs as said in the fitness pal daily nutrition statistics.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    By the way, can I add more calories via fast carbs like sugars (chocolate or something)?. I am kinda always low on carbs as said in the fitness pal daily nutrition statistics.

Add in any food that will allow you to reach your goal. If you need to add in things like ice cream, candy, chips, cookies, etc... to allow you to hit your calorie goal, then by all means. Overall, you should still try to get nutrient dense foods to maximize health benefits but in the end, if you don't hit your calorie goal, you wont gain. Many of us will get 80-90% of our foods from nutrient dense foods and the rest from treats.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Add in any food that will allow you to reach your goal. If you need to add in things like ice cream, candy, chips, cookies, etc... to allow you to hit your calorie goal, then by all means. Overall, you should still try to get nutrient dense foods to maximize health benefits but in the end, if you don't hit your calorie goal, you wont gain. Many of us will get 80-90% of our foods from nutrient dense foods and the rest from treats.

Agreed
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Eat more. Move less.
  • djordjekomljenovic
    Options
    I do already taking 99% as quality foods, will add the rest (more) calories with candies. Thank you.