Blister help for running please! Pics!

Options
Ok - I am training for a half marathon. Five days ago I was guiding some clients on a 7 hour hike and an hour into the hike I knew I was having a problem with my boots / socks. ( It was a rare experience for me as my feet are pretty tough as I walk and climb in the mountains all the time). However - as I was the guide I could hardly say sorry - I have blisters, I'm going home! So I endured another six hours of walking over rough ground / glacier and snow.

As a result, both my heels are a mess!

023_zps8994256b.jpg

This photo is today - 5 days after the walk. I have had compeed ( like second skin) on them all the time and took them off today to trim the dead skin ( sorry I know it's gross!) and clean with betadine.

I am worried I am getting behind in my training for the half marathon as I haven't run for 5 days and my heels are still really sore.
Should I now reapply Compeed and start running? or should I let the air get to them so they dry out? The wounds are clean and really itchy, which I take as a good sign. any advice appreciated.t:flowerforyou: hanks!

Replies

• MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Personally, if you can handle the discomfort, I'd run.

I had blisters too when I was training, but I wasn't about to let that stop me :)
  • duffydog1
    duffydog1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Trying again for the lovely pic!

023_zps8994256b.jpg
  • duffydog1
    Options
    023_zps8994256b.jpg
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are wearing socks that don't aggravate your blisters, and go for a shorter run. I got some blisters when I was training for my half (wore bad socks on a long run). The first mile of my next few runs were bad, but usually didn't bother me once I got going.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    IME, the best thing to do for blisters is open them up, let them air out, and let the raw skin toughen up. Pretty straight forward, just takes a couple of days depending on how bad the blisters are.

As for your training... When is the race and what is your goal for the race? Unless it's next week and your goal is ultra competitive, chances are that a few days or even a week won't matter too much.
  • Lepouxo
    Lepouxo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Vaseline all over your feet
  • duffydog1
    Options
    No the race is October so I have plenty of time - and no I am not ultra competitive - just wanting to do my best!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    oh, on a side note... carry trislide or bodyglide for just such occasions.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Use Moleskin. Also, you probably waited a bit long, next time as soon as you feel a "hot spot" anywhere on your foot cover it with moleskin. It works well.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I used to get those...it was the shoes. I used to swear by Asics, ran in them for years...just figured running long distances had side effects (blisters). turns out the shoes were wrong for my feet. Been running in Saucony for the last year with no blisters. Just my humble opinion...
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Moleskln is your friend. People swear by it in the Military.
  • luulu1999
    luulu1999 Posts: 119
    Options
    I personally don't think you should tear the skin off a blister....you may poke it with a needle to let the stuff drain but I don't even do that if you just let it be a blister and let it go away on its own its not near as painful as having raw skin to have to walk on daily....but I guess its a little late for that advise now....but if it no longer has stuff oozing from it I would suggest putting antibiotic ointment or whatever cream you want and wrapping it while your running and letting it air while your not....the cream will keep a bandage from sticking to it and the wrapping it with gauze will provide padding while your running. GOOD LUCK
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Don't run. Rest your feet. Run the half only if your feet heal up. Go to a podorthist or a decent running shop. You should NEVER have to "break in" shoes. I am no expert but I have run numerous half marathons.

Find out if you are neutral, supinator or pronator and have them check out your arches. You may need special insoles too.

After I had a decent shoe place check out my feet they put me in some asics gel nimbus. Within weeks I went from 3 miles to 9. HUGE HUGE effing difference.

Shoes, chica. Shoes.

foot-type-6024_0.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^
    Check your arches by wetting the bottom of your feet and stepping on brown cardboard or brown paper sack. I guess you could use spray paint but I would not recommend it.