Fat Loss Routine

Options
Hi every one :)

I have been gymming 4 times a week for around 5 months now and have dropped 30lbs. I did have a personal trainer map out my routines but I got tired of paying for something I could easily figure out myself so decided to 'go it alone' in the gym. I've been incorporating a mixture of cardio and weight/strength resistance.

I have 4 different work-out plans which last me the week. A typical session is like this:

20 mins interval training with slight incline on treadmill followed by the following sort of exercises - Deadlifts, Dips, Barbell squats, lunges, pull ups, Kettlebell work, Push press.

I try to make sure I am training certain muscle groups together but my question is, Should I be splitting my cardio days and my weight training days? Should it be more like this

Monday: Full Cardio.

Tuesday: Full body weight training

Thursday: Full Cardio

Friday: Full body weight training

Would that be a better plan?

Any advice would be fantastic. Thank you :)

PS - Still looking to lose fat.

Replies

• kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm finally getting to the point in StrongLifts where I feel that I'm "lifting heavy" (although not for many people on here - haha!) and I find I need to split up my cardio and lifting because I'm too beat if I put them together. So personally, I find it easier to only lift and do a bit of a cool down on lifting days because I know if I did cardio afterwards, it would be half assed.

Other people can please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think from a fat burning perspective it really makes a difference though. (Although as I said - please correct me if this is wrong!) I think it comes down to personal preference.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm finally getting to the point in StrongLifts where I feel that I'm "lifting heavy" (although not for many people on here - haha!) and I find I need to split up my cardio and lifting because I'm too beat if I put them together. So personally, I find it easier to only lift and do a bit of a cool down on lifting days because I know if I did cardio afterwards, it would be half assed.

Other people can please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think from a fat burning perspective it really makes a difference though. (Although as I said - please correct me if this is wrong!) I think it comes down to personal preference.

Thanks for responding :)

I usually do my cardio first because it gets it out the way (not a cardio fan but needs must!). I then move on to the weights which I think I am probably slightly guilty of slacking on and not lifting as heavy since I'm sweating and puffing from the cardio. Sometimes I think it would be beneficial to split the two - they are both important for my goal and I want to give both types of exercise my absolute all. My PT doesn't see it that way. It's a tough one.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    they are both important for my goal

Which is what?

• PinkPixiexox
    Options
    To lose fat and get leaner. I have around 11lbs to lose.
  • msf74
    edited September 2015
    Options

You may get a marginal benefit in splitting the weights and the cardio as you may be able to work out with a higher degree of intensity or for longer in the separate sessions rather than doing them together (presuming your recovery ability is able to handle the load of working out on successive days however.)

I don't think it is worth worrying about really. Do what you feel comfortable with and suits your life generally.
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

You may get a marginal benefit in splitting the weights and the cardio as you may be able to work out with a higher degree of intensity or for longer in the separate sessions rather than doing them together (presuming your recovery ability is able to handle the load of working out on successive days however.)

I don't think it is worth worrying about really. Do what you feel comfortable with and suits your life generally.

Thank you :)

As I haven't tried it before, I think I may give the seperate cardio and weight days a try. It's always good to change the routine up here and there any way so I can't see it having a 'bad' impact!
  • msf74
    Options

As I haven't tried it before, I think I may give the seperate cardio and weight days a try. It's always good to change the routine up here and there any way so I can't see it having a 'bad' impact!

Cool beans. Give it a go and see how you feel.

One thing I would suggest is that if you have a heavy lifting day and do cardio the next day then avoid doing HIIT but rather do a more moderate level of intensity for a little longer.
  • PinkPixiexox
    Options

Cool beans. Give it a go and see how you feel.

One thing I would suggest is that if you have a heavy lifting day and do cardio the next day then avoid doing HIIT but rather do a more moderate level of intensity for a little longer.

Fantastic, thank you - i'll definitely take that advice :)