Going to the Gym on holiday

Options
Hi All,

Was just interested if anyone on here takes their gym kit and attends the gym on holiday? Normally I wouldn't even consider this but at the moment I am loving my exercise, and I am debating whether to take my stuff and visit the gym a few times on holiday.. is this totally bonkers or something that people actually do!?

I go in 11 days!!!

Replies

• CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Well, I do. Has to be said that the gym was very quiet though, so I don't think that many people do it!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Of course not. Why withhold something you enjoy doing? Go for it!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "but at the moment I am loving my exercise.."

Loving your exercise, your vacation (holiday), why wouldn't you do something you're loving on holiday. I take my walks/jogs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    I exercise on vacation, on Christmas day, on Thanksgiving, etc. I don't change my lifestyle because it's a holiday.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I always pack to use the gym. However, depending on the type of vacation my routine changes. Like I am going on a Cruise in October, I will be bringing my workout clothes and will hit the gym. However, in January i am going to Universal and Disney and will be walking all day long and going on tons of rides. So when i pack it will be under the assumption I just need to do lots of stretching, nothing else.

When I was in Aruba, my workout consisted of walking on the beach mostly. I did go lift twice, but mostly focused on walking. We walked for miles :)

so I balance the workout with what I am doing on vacation.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I don't gym, but i plan on bringing running shoes when i go on vacation
  • tank1539
    tank1539 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I do but lighten, shorten and change the routine. I find that you never know what that weight room is going to look like so I just prepare to be adaptive. I go look at it the day of arrival then go back to my room and make a plan for the week or however long. I try and get out of there by 45 min
  • luciewhitefield25
    Options
    thanks for all your advice! everyone I have spoke to in person think I am crazy for considering it as a holiday is meant to be relaxing.. but if I can get up early and exercise I think I'll appreciate the rest of the day relaxing and I'll feel better for it, our hotel has just been refurbished and the gym looks lovely! I hate having a whole weekend off so I think I would struggle if I had the whole two weeks off anyway!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I just got back from my little 4 day vacation and I exercised every day. Enjoyed every minute of it! It's not crazy. Do it :)
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    My exercise cloths and trainers are the first thing in my suit case, I love the fact that I've got loads of time to exercise on holiday instead of having to fit it in around work when I'm at home.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    when i'm on vacation, I do get exercise in that i'm usually walking around seeing what there is to see...swimming at the beach...paddle boarding, scuba diving, hiking, etc. depending on where I'm at. i do not make it a point to go to the gym when i'm on vacation. at most i bring my running shoes and shorts and might go for a run...but usually, I'm just generally active when i'm on vacation which is just fine...it's not like my fitness is going to just vanish on vaca.
  • kirklands166
    kirklands166 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's those days that I "relax" on that get me right back to square one. Good for you for not giving your self a "break". Your body and mind will definitely you in the end
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Yes, I still workout on holidays or vacations or when traveling for work.
    I can usually find a gym close by that has either a 3,4 or 7 day pass for cheap.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    thanks for all your advice! everyone I have spoke to in person think I am crazy for considering it as a holiday is meant to be relaxing.. but if I can get up early and exercise I think I'll appreciate the rest of the day relaxing and I'll feel better for it, our hotel has just been refurbished and the gym looks lovely! I hate having a whole weekend off so I think I would struggle if I had the whole two weeks off anyway!

I get that a lot too "why would you go to the gym on vacation?" and I answer "because I like it and want to stay in shape" the people telling you that look at exercise as work, not something enjoyable. I think exercise should be fun, so it is part of what I do.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I have/did. I felt like it offset my food choices a bit.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I always do when traveling for work. When on vacation, I take stuff, but I'm hit or miss, depending. Last vacation, the hotel was spread out, and if it had a gym, it was in another building. My husband and I ran together a few days, and I did some HIIT outside one day. We weren't getting up early or go-go-go or anything. The vacation before that, we were up early and go-go-go, I didn't work out, but we were doing a ton of walking. There's no reason not to work out if you want to work out!
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I always pack workout clothes so I have the option, but whether I actually work out depends on how long the trip is and how much down time I have. If it's more than a few days I will pretty much always go to the gym or run at least a couple of times. But if it's a shorter vacation or one where I don't have a lot of free time, I don't really care much if I skip.
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    I always workout on vacation or holiday. If I am at a hotel I find their gym or if they don't have one, there is plenty of body weight exercises I can do.
  • luciewhitefield25
    Options
    Glad I asked this question now as your all making me feel normal for wanting to take my stuff and give it a go! I'm going to Mexico for two weeks so I will still get plenty of time to relax & I will feel more relaxed about what I am eating aswell, even if I only fit in a few sessions! Thanks guys! :)
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I've just got back from 10 days in Portugal. I googled local gyms, went and viewed them and worked out most days there. One was in a near by hotel (walking distance from my hotel and gave access to SPA/swimming pool/Saunas etc). The other was a locals municipal gym. Both were cheap to pay for one offs and had great equipment and kind/friendly people. I used to go early of a morning when all of my family were just lounging around the pool. Eating fantastic Mediterranean food in the sun after a great workout is a beautiful thing.