Eat back your exercise calories? Yes or No? Why?

Options
CarolineLeclair
CarolineLeclair Posts: 48 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I have not been eating back my exercise calories and have hit a plateau.... A long and frusterating plateau!
I have heard that by eating back my exercise calories I will start to lose weight again. Is this too good to be true? (I would love to eat a little more!!!)

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    That won't be what's causing your plateau - eating more will not cause you to lose weight. Your plateau will be caused by something else. Do you weigh everything you eat? How long have you not lost weight for? Can you open your diary?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    It is too good to be true.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The idea of eating them back is to maintain a constant deficit irrespective of exercise level. Those with more to lose might prefer to just take advantage of extra loss.

I never really know what the answer is with a plateau over a month long, eating more is counter-intuitive and the equivalent of exercising less might be worth trying too - less exercise = less stress. Both go against the simple notion of a calorie deficit driving weight loss.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    The idea of eating them back is to maintain a constant deficit irrespective of exercise level. Those with more to lose might prefer to just take advantage of extra loss.

I never really know what the answer is with a plateau over a month long, eating more is counter-intuitive and the equivalent of exercising less might be worth trying too - less exercise = less stress. Both go against the simple notion of a calorie deficit driving weight loss.
    Calorie deficit doesn't necessarily drive weight loss over sufficiently short periods of time. Water retention -- from exercise, sodium, stress, whatever -- can mask the loss, but not indefinitely.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have not been eating back my exercise calories and have hit a plateau.... A long and frusterating plateau!
    I have heard that by eating back my exercise calories I will start to lose weight again. Is this too good to be true? (I would love to eat a little more!!!)

Eating your exercise calories back is not about a plateau....it's about keeping the original deficit you signed up for. It's how MFP is designed.

If you want to eat your exercise calories back....then eat them back because you want to retain lean muscle while losing a larger percentage of fat.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

You received incorrect information. If you are not losing weight, the answer is to always lower your calorie intake. You are eating at maintenance right now. You either need to just start eating smaller portions or figure out where you logging error is in your intake.

Do you weigh your food? Log everything you eat and drink?

Tip: you only raise your calories if you are already losing weight and want to lose at a slower rate. Never any other time, unless your goal is weight gain.

• jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I really don't know.

Ask this question here a year or so ago and almost everyone would say that yes, eating back your calories was necessary to lose weight and that by eating more you would lose more.

It never made any sense to me. Nowadays all that seems to have gone away and most people now say you should eat as little as possible to lose weight.

I go with the little as possible camp because it just seems more likely!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Calorie deficit doesn't necessarily drive weight loss over sufficiently short periods of time. Water retention -- from exercise, sodium, stress, whatever -- can mask the loss, but not indefinitely.

indeed, hence "with a plateau over a month long". The OP didn't say how long.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

indeed, hence "with a plateau over a month long". The OP didn't say how long.
    A plateau, plateau is from eating too much.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I really don't know.

Ask this question here a year or so ago and almost everyone would say that yes, eating back your calories was necessary to lose weight and that by eating more you would lose more.

It never made any sense to me. Nowadays all that seems to have gone away and most people now say you should eat as little as possible to lose weight.

I go with the little as possible camp because it just seems more likely!

The eat as much as possible (and still lose weight) camp hasn't gone away............still here.

Here's why people don't eat as little as possible..............some of us want to lose FAT as opposed to just "weight." Really large deficits make it hard for your body to support existing lean muscle. I'm over 50 and need all the lean muscle support I can get.

I don't want a "number on the scale"......I want a lower body fat percentage.

OP - you are 12 pounds from goal. You are looking at losses of 1/2 pound a week. This is easily masked by water retention....how long have you been at a plateau?
  • CarolineLeclair
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have leveled off for about 2 months now with a weight fluctuation of only about 1-2 lbs up or down.
    MFP has given me a calorie goal of 1200 and I am darn good at sticking to it... but with no changes. (Yes, I measure, weigh and document everything!)
    1200 is hard but with no changes (and I've increased exercise) I was hoping that eating my calories back may be what my body is asking for...?
    That being said, I'd hate to try it and start gaining back the weight I've lost.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    If you've already lost a good amount of weight, you may need to reasses your calorie goals. The more weight you lose, the less calories your body needs to survive, so if you don't adjust your goals and the deficit, you're going to hit maintenance without realizing it.

As for eating back your exercise calories, MFP's goal is your daily goal WITH the deficit built in. So if your normal TDEE is 1500, MFP will tell you maybe 1350, depending on what your deficit percentage is. When you exercise, you burn more than your TDEE, so eating that back will balance it out. One thing to keep in mind is that if you use MFP to enter your calories burned, your will be getting a major over-estimate of what you burned. MFP is not very accurate, which is why the general advice is to only eat back about 50% of what MFP tells you. Now, if you have a heart rate monitor and can get a much more accurate count of your calories burned and enter that manually, then you'll eat back more.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    How much more do you have to lose? Set your caloric intake goals to a reasonable level. I just went through a 2 month plateau and whoosh - lost another 5 lbs. Likely due to stress and water retention, but will never be sure.

For eating back I eat back my protein to help defend against muscle loss, but that's about it.

Just keep it up and be patient.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I've always eaten about 50-75% of my exercise calories (not all of them to account for overestimation). But I was pretty certain my calories from food were accurate as I've weighed and measured EVERYTHING. I also extensively researched and verified caloric burn from activities and always used a chest strap heart rate monitor to gauge my exercise calories as accurate as possible.

As your plateau, it might be helpful take a deficit break - raise your calories to maintenance for 3-4 weeks, then go back to a deficit.
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    You received incorrect information. If you are not losing weight, the answer is to always lower your calorie intake. You are eating at maintenance right now. You either need to just start eating smaller portions or figure out where you logging error is in your intake.

Tip: you only raise your calories if you are already losing weight and want to lose at a slower rate. Never any other time, unless your goal is weight gain.

This is incorrect information as there are instances when that would not be the answer.

@SLLRunner , few years ago, before learning about proper nutrition and fitness, I attempted to lose weight (male, in my late 30's, 6' tall, 230lb) - I ate around 1200 calories and run 5 days a week for 7 miles. After 6 months and getting to 200lb - I could not lose anymore. Do you mean to tell me that I should've lowered my calories more??? There is more. The minute I started eating over 1400-1500 - I gained weight with the same exercising. Does that make my TDEE 1400??? Hell NO.
  • CarolineLeclair
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Good advice so far! Although some differing opinions, I appreciate all the advice! I should add that I wear a fitbit surge (with heart rate monitor).
    I like the idea of eating back 50-75%. That sounds fair and safe! I also like the idea of rating to maintain for a while and then trying again!
    Good tips!! TY!! :)
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    MasterVal wrote: »
    I've always eaten about 50-75% of my exercise calories (not all of them to account for overestimation). But I was pretty certain my calories from food were accurate as I've weighed and measured EVERYTHING. I also extensively researched and verified caloric burn from activities and always used a chest strap heart rate monitor to gauge my exercise calories as accurate as possible.

As your plateau, it might be helpful take a deficit break - raise your calories to maintenance for 3-4 weeks, then go back to a deficit.
    SLLRunner wrote: »

This is incorrect information as there are instances when that would not be the answer.

@SLLRunner , few years ago, before learning about proper nutrition and fitness, I attempted to lose weight (male, in my late 30's, 6' tall, 230lb) - I ate around 1200 calories and run 5 days a week for 7 miles. After 6 months and getting to 200lb - I could not lose anymore. Do you mean to tell me that I should've lowered my calories more??? There is more. The minute I started eating over 1400-1500 - I gained weight with the same exercising. Does that make my TDEE 1400??? Hell NO.

So no no to this.

SLLRunner is right OP
    But you will find out
    Choice is yours

Raise your calories and see what happens or tighten up your food logging.
    Let us know what the results are..

• qubetha
    qubetha Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Experimentation can sometimes answer questions better than forums. You could temporarily cut your calories and see what happens. I find that if I've hit a plateau I will drop calories by an extra 200 just to see what happens and how I end up feeling. I don't worry if my daily intake is a bit lower than might be sensible because it's only temporary and purely to see what happens.

If I feel horrendously bad as a result then reducing calories is not the answer and I look elsewhere for an explanation. Possibly ask a doctor. If the extra deficit gets things moving again and I still feel great then I have a decision to make, has the change resulted in a daily allowance that would generally be considered unhealthy or is it still relatively reasonable?

If I decide the latter then maybe I just need to make it the new permanent target. MFP isn't always exactly right after all! Sometimes you have to do some "tuning" after MFP sets your daily goals (my current calorie limit is 200 higher than MFB recommended and I am still losing 2lb a week). If I decide the former on the other hand, then I am most likely getting something wrong when it comes to how I measure my calories. Time to re-double efforts to weigh food accurately or re-examine what I am eating and whether I have identified it's calorie content correctly (once I significantly miscalculated the calories in a pasta preparation because I had not realized the nutritional table on the pack did not include the additional ingredients you have to add to complete the recipe.....and I was eating a LOT of it....stuff like that).

There are often so many variables involved, sometimes the only way to get answers is to play with the numbers yourself a little (within reason) and see what happens....

Works great for me!

• wendy82559
    wendy82559 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cutting carbs? How many carbs a day are in your diet? Go two weeks without carbs and see if that helps any. Eat extra vege's and lean protein. Your body may be holding on to the fat because it has carbs to burn.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    wendy82559 wrote: »
    Have you tried cutting carbs? How many carbs a day are in your diet? Go two weeks without carbs and see if that helps any. Eat extra vege's and lean protein. Your body may be holding on to the fat because it has carbs to burn.

Also woo
    Eat only no carbs when you have a medical issue with those nutrtions or want a life style without carbs

For weight loss it doesnt matter
    I eat high carbs and lost 108 pounds in 11 months

Calories is important for weight loss
    Not losing weight means you dont eat less calories than you burn ( deficit) Very simple
    It is science.

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    wendy82559 wrote: »

Cutting carbs isn't a magic solution. Granted, there are people with medical conditions that do better with lower carbs, but you can lose weight just fine without cutting them. I did, and I know others did as well.