How much fruit is really OK?

Options
Hi! I have been looking into fruit as being a potential barrier to my fat loss. What I've found is that once my liver is full of glycogen, any additional fructose is sent to be stored as fat. Of course what I read was stated much more eloquently than that, but that was the gist. I know fruit is good for us in moderation, so now I'm trying to figure out how much fruit I can safely eat before my liver sends it off to be stored as fat. I mostly use fruit in my smoothies to make them edible. For instance, I'll use a cup of OJ, a half banana, half avocado, and 3 cups kale to make a smoothie. I'm wondering if that is too much fruit at once. I guess what I'm saying is that I understand that I can't overdo it on fruit; however, I'm not sure what the definition of overdoing it on fruit is. I've cut out refined sugars, and I'm seeing progress. Still, I don't want to be "eating healthy" and actually be storing fat. Another question since I'm sure most of you answering this might know the answer: Is eating organic brown rice crisp crackers OK? I had some at lunch, and I just want to make sure they aren't going to be stored right on my stomach. If so, I won't eat them again! Thanks so much for your help. I've been learning a great deal from many on you on MFP, and for the first time in probably 10 years, I actually feel like I'm in the zone. I know I can't be perfect, but I don't want to make stupid mistakes that can be easily avoided as well! Thanks! :-)

Replies

• abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'll not speak of any science or studies and just go with my own experiences, since I can back them up. When I first joined myfitnesspal, there were lots of posts about the evils of sugars in fruit, and how they should be avoided. One diet book suggested a maximum of two strawberries a day or two SECTIONS of an orange. I have spent my whole life eating at least 3-4 servings of fruit per day, maybe more. So, I thought, hm. I've always wanted to be thinner than I am. I've always eaten a ton of fruit. Maybe fruit is the real culprit here!! So, I went down to one serving a day. It sucked and I was miserable and eyeing my coworker's apple like it was a Snickers Blizzard. I am now back to eating as much fruit as I want, as long as I keep the fruit to vegetable ratio no more than 1:1. I can tell you I am thinner now than I was this time last year when I was counting calories and sticking to one serving of fruit. If you like it, eat it. If you're trying to lose weight, eat it and log it.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Can overdo fruit? Never heard that before. I eat a ton of fruit a day. Today for fruit I had 50 grams of blueberries, 100 grams of strawberries, an apple, a banana, and 200 grams of some homemade mixed fruit. Yesterday the only difference was instead of 200 grams of mixed fruit I had 15 cherries. I eat that much fruit nearly every day. I've lost 65 pounds (I know my ticker doesn't say that, I switched apps a couple different times). I would probably guess that any processed cracker is almost always worse for you than a piece of fruit. The only "bad" thing I see there is the cup of OJ. Juice is actually terrible for you. You get all the glycogen and fructose of a piece of fruit, with almost none of the benefits, like fiber and feeling full. I would just cut that and figure out a different smoothie to make, or replace the OJ with an orange and blend it up.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been looking into fruit as being a potential barrier to my fat loss. What I've found is that once my liver is full of glycogen, any additional fructose is sent to be stored as fat. Of course what I read was stated much more eloquently than that, but that was the gist. I know fruit is good for us in moderation, so now I'm trying to figure out how much fruit I can safely eat before my liver sends it off to be stored as fat. I mostly use fruit in my smoothies to make them edible. For instance, I'll use a cup of OJ, a half banana, half avocado, and 3 cups kale to make a smoothie. I'm wondering if that is too much fruit at once. I guess what I'm saying is that I understand that I can't overdo it on fruit; however, I'm not sure what the definition of overdoing it on fruit is. I've cut out refined sugars, and I'm seeing progress. Still, I don't want to be "eating healthy" and actually be storing fat. Another question since I'm sure most of you answering this might know the answer: Is eating organic brown rice crisp crackers OK? I had some at lunch, and I just want to make sure they aren't going to be stored right on my stomach. If so, I won't eat them again! Thanks so much for your help. I've been learning a great deal from many on you on MFP, and for the first time in probably 10 years, I actually feel like I'm in the zone. I know I can't be perfect, but I don't want to make stupid mistakes that can be easily avoided as well! Thanks! :-)

In an energy deficit, any fat storage that may occur from fruit consumption will just be oxidized at some point. You will not experience a net gain in fat from fruit consumption regardless of glycogen status provided that over time, you are consuming fewer calories than you need.

I would urge you to focus on total energy intake first, followed by your training program and your macronutrient intake, and make sure the majority of your diet comes from whole and nutrient dense foods and you're going to be just fine.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who got fat from eating too much fruit.
  • dancingdaily
    Options
    I just started tracking nutrition information last week -- (I'm new to MFP but have a long history with diet and exercise). What I've found so far is that the fruit choices that I used to make were not ideal... so by trading a black plum for an apple, swapping some cherries instead of the banana, etc. has reduced my sugar intake and has a big impact on my weight loss. Lots of fruit, lots of veggies, some healthy proteins and whole grains... find what works for you. Good luck!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

In an energy deficit, any fat storage that may occur from fruit consumption will just be oxidized at some point. You will not experience a net gain in fat from fruit consumption regardless of glycogen status provided that over time, you are consuming fewer calories than you need.

I would urge you to focus on total energy intake first, followed by your training program and your macronutrient intake, and make sure the majority of your diet comes from whole and nutrient dense foods and you're going to be just fine.

This ^^^

Also, on average I have around 50 grams of blueberries, 50 grams of raspberries, 50 grams of black berries, 100 grams of either cherries or strawberries, and generally and apple or nectarine or both. I'm doin' fine.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    As much as you can fit into your calorie goals, macro goals and micro goals.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Any energy you consume beyond what you lose in a day is stored. It really shouldn't matter if it's fruit. And if you are in a deficit, you really shouldn't have much in the way of glycogen stores - that's the ten pounds everybody loses in the first three weeks and thinks their new diet is a miracle.

In any case, for the last 6 weeks I had my most consistent weight loss streak in years while eating A LOT of fruit. On average, at least 5 servings a day. This week I didn't get around to shopping and have only been eating two pieces of fruit. The scale hasn't moved.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    too much fruit = when you eat so much of it you get diarrhoea. that goes for humans and all the other species of primates.

if you're eating less than you burn off, or equal to what you burn off, you won't be storing fat. If you're eating more than you burn off, it'll be stored as fat whether it's fruit or any other food. I second all the advice to focus on the overall number of calories. If you enjoy fruit, eat lots of it as it's full of micronutrients and we are primates after all. Personally, I'm trying to eat more fruit.

going to eat some blueberries now....
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    The is pretty well established on fructose. It is metabolized only by the liver and can contribute greatly to visceral fat. Dr. Robert Lustig, perhaps the most famous scientists speaking out about this has said that eating whole fruit mitigates some of the fructose load because of fiber but he admitted recently that the research on that is only being performed now and we don't know the results.

So, the jury is out on fruit. Excess fruit consumption may have an effect on triglycerides. My husband's doctor recently told him to greatly reduce his fruit consumption as they try to get his triglycerides down. He's given up fruit juice and fruit juice concentrates and is limiting fruit consumption to two or less servings a day.

Like most foods, fruit is good and bad for us and also like most foods, excess consumption of it is likely to bring out the bad aspects. You can eliminate fructose from your diet but then you've also eliminated the vitamins, minerals, and fiber that fructose-bearing fruits (and veggies to varying degrees) contain.

For more information about how fructose is digested, watch the series of short videos "The Skinny on Obesity" from the University of California at http://www.uctv.tv/skinny-on-obesity/
  • raingirl21
    raingirl21 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The only "bad" thing I see there is the cup of OJ. Juice is actually terrible for you. You get all the glycogen and fructose of a piece of fruit, with almost none of the benefits, like fiber and feeling full. I would just cut that and figure out a different smoothie to make, or replace the OJ with an orange and blend it up.

I agree with cutting out the OJ. I use milk in my smoothies, or you could use almond milk or rice milk, or even water.

Regarding having too much fruit, we should be balanced in what we eat. If you have a lot, but have a lot of veggies and protein, then maybe for you that's what your body needs. Or maybe cut back to 2-3 servings a day.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I should also mention that besides fruit, my diet consists almost entirely of veggies, chicken, and protein powder. So although I eat a lot, my diet is quite balanced. Maybe a little high on carbs, but still at about 40% of my diet. (I am doing about 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat)
  • Shoegal165
    Shoegal165 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't think that fruit is bad thing?? I am not an expert, far from it, but I have never heard of anyone getting fat from eating too many apples. Every body is different though.................
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Like most everyone else here, I'm in the camp saying no, you can't do too much fruit, especially whole fresh fruit.

However, you CAN do too much fruit juice. Not because of the evil magic of fructose or anything: juice is just relatively calorie dense, and doesn't have any dietary fiber to offset it, so you can get a bunch of calories while also a little bit of an insulin spike (which even if you're not diabetic, is not good, and can inhibit weight loss).

I also love smoothies, and I like your idea of putting an avocado half in there! (I've been grinding rolled oats up, and throwing in a tablespoon or so). But maybe go easy on the OJ part of the smoothie. Even using half an orange (segments, not juice) instead of the juice will probably give you a similar flavor but cut the calories surprisingly. And if smoothies w/o juice are too thick for your liking, you can add a few ounces of fat free milk, yogurt, or soy or almond milk. Even grinding ice cubes into the smoothie can be nice!

Do you like blueberries? A cupful of whole blueberries sounds like a nice substitution for the OJ to add liquid and flavor with the kale and avocado. :heart: Since they're in season and often on sale right now, I have been blueberry-ing out lately, myself.

For what it's worth I also think you just have to be extra conscientious about obsessively measuring portion size with things like fruit juice.
  • lynnsf
    lynnsf Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/sugar-wise-how-fruit-stacks

I've been really worried about fruit as well. I can have 24 grams of sugar a day. If I have an apple, I consume half of my allowance. 5 baby carrots are 5 grams of sugar. I was reading an article that suggested midmorning snack of 5 baby carrots and a afternoon snack of 5 baby carrots. That would consume close to half my grams of sugar.

According to Shape Magazine, who normally gets their information correct:

Some studies suggest fructose, the main type of sugar found in fruit, can even be more harmful than other sugars (namely, glucose). Fructose has even been linked to increased belly fat, slowed metabolism, and overall weight gain.

The American Heart Association recommends no more than 26 grams of sugar per day for women, or 36 grams per day for men.

So my guess is that smoothie is way over in sugar grams. I've been watching this very closely. I never go over on anything but sugar, I really, really have to watch that category.
  • gottalose55
    gottalose55 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing, more so because eating 2 pieces of fruit/day just about uses up my sugars for the day. I don't eat a lot of foods with added sugars, yet everyday when I'm done logging in what I ate, I am always over in the sugars. I don't know how to eat fruit and really keep the sugar levels where they are set.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/sugar-wise-how-fruit-stacks

I've been really worried about fruit as well. I can have 24 grams of sugar a day. If I have an apple, I consume half of my allowance. 5 baby carrots are 5 grams of sugar. I was readying an article that suggested midmorning snack of 5 baby carrots and a afternoon snack of 5 baby carrots. That would consume close to half my grams of sugar.

According to Shape Magazine, who normally gets their information correct:

Some studies suggest fructose, the main type of sugar found in fruit, can even be more harmful than other sugars (namely, glucose). Fructose has even been linked to increased belly fat, slowed metabolism, and overall weight gain.

The American Heart Association recommends no more than 26 grams of sugar per day for women, or 36 grams per day for men.

So my guess is that smoothie is way over in sugar grams. I've been watching this very closely. I never go over on anything but sugar, I really, really have to watch that category.

Eesh. AHA limits are related to added sugar not natural fruit sugar.
  • ajbloomu
    ajbloomu Posts: 16
    Options
    I eat a ton of fruit. Couple apples, bananas, oranges, strawberries, etc. And my weight loss and energy for exercise have never been better. I swear by it. Tastes great, no fat, and a great snack food when you are looking to have a little something extra.
  • garciabnm
    garciabnm Posts: 138
    Options
    i eat an average of 3 cups of cantalope/honeydew/watermelon, a day. Its a great way to snack healthy, and hasnt slowed my metabolism, or caused weight gain.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I also love smoothies, and I like your idea of putting an avocado half in there!
    I'm not a smoothie person but I think the fat in the avocado (and in the milk if you are doing milk with fat) will help combat the sugar spike but I agree with everybody that you might want to keep the oj to a minimum.

I eat fruit within reason. I don't gobble down huge bowls of it or anything, but a serving or two a day of whole fruit is perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned. I would try to fill up most of the 'fruits and veggies' quota with vegetables but fruit has plenty of nutrients. In fact, this thread makes me want the watermelon currently sitting in my fridge!