Accurate app for tracking distance

Options
So I'm getting interested in running again, and I find it much more enjoyable to do outside rather than on a treadmill. I downloaded the Runtastic app to track my distance and speed, but unfortunately it seems to be very inaccurate.

I ran/walked one direction for what it said was a mile, then walked back the same distance, and it basically said the distance back was 1.5 miles. Also on that day it said I did a 11:02 mile, then the next day it said I did a 7:00 mile! I definitely didn't...

Just curious if anyone has experience with some decently accurate apps. Even if I have to pay a couple bucks for it. I just want accuracy when it comes to distance, which you wouldn't think would be too hard.

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I use Strava.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    It's not the app, it's your phone. If your phone gets a crappy GPS lock, you'll get crappy distances.

Likely, however, this was an outlier with your device. I've found the more often I use GPS-dependent apps, the more reliable it stays accurate.

That being said, I use runkeeper.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    for a phone app, Strava.

That said, the GPS data for any phone app will only be as accurate as the GPS receiver in the phone itself (some phones just don't have the accuracy for a fitness app for running/biking, but are okay for a GPS app for the car).

But...you can use Strava on the computer to map out a route that you'll know the exact distance of, then when you record the route on the app when you go out and do it, you can see how off it is (expect a minor variation, as while running, you may cut corners short, and there are just minor inaccuracies in GPS by nature that could show the route as slightly longer or shorter than what it mapped out as - ie if you map out a 2 mile route, the app may show anywhere from 1.9-2.1 miles when you actually go out and do it). :)
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've been using runtastic for years. Its accurate within 1-5 % depending on the sport I'd say (it cuts corners on a bike!). It's even more accurate if you use a route. If you use the same path, build it on the map in the website, and select it for your sport. It smooths out the inaccuracies.

However, on my first phone, the gps would randomly cut out, causing the tracking to go haywire (hiking at 800 km/h? Why not!) I'd say try other apps, but the problem may be with your gps and not the app. Something to keep in mind.

I have friends who use endomondo and runkeeper, with similar results.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper, and I find it to be pretty accurate. But I agree, it's more with the GPS on your device.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if it may have to do with my phone itself. It's an iPhone 5S, not really sure how accurate they are compared to other phones.
    I'm going to play around with these different apps and take these suggestions. Thank you all for the responses!
  • rbakedq
    rbakedq Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I use Endomundo, Runkeeper and Wahoo Fitness all are very close.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Before I bought a Garmin GPS running (and cycling) watch, I used Strava. I still collect run data in Strava so I can see progression over a longer period of time.

Strava has a huge user community and a great many MFP runners are also on Strava so it's fun to link up there and here.

Originally however I chose Strava because I'd tried others and found they drained my phone's power ridiculously fast while Strava sipped gently in comparison. It'll be only as accurate as your phone's hardware and firmware allow it to be but with good hardware it will be more than accurate enough.

Use the free version.

• DennyB1964
    DennyB1964 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I tried several and settled on Endomondo. They seem to be as accurate as the next, and they give you a huge amount of data, which is like calorie-free candy to me.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    My suggestion is to find a used Garmin Forerunner 305. I got mine from a guy advertising on Craigslist for $45. I love it. It does lack bluetooth however.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    My suggestion is to find a used Garmin Forerunner 305. I got mine from a guy advertising on Craigslist for $45. I love it. It does lack bluetooth however.

Thanks for the suggestion. Seems like it may very well be a problem with my phone, so that might be the way to go. Once I get more into it I'll probably head in that direction for accuracy.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    A used running watch is a fantastic way to go and might be cheaper in the long run than running with a phone.

Why? I killed one phone display+digitizer ($125 repair) from sweat soaking through to my phone in the SPI belt I carried it in. I bought a Garmin watch the next day but when I do carry my phone (for other reasons) in the belt, it's in a zip lock.

Running watches also have real time pace information and some will also tie into shoe mounted cadence sensor pods; newer units often have cadence sensors built into the watch or heart rate strap. They are conveniently mounted on your arm and many are waterproof, unlike most phones.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    GPS itself is neither perfect nor infallible because of satellite movement, atmospheric conditions, solar activity, etc.