Please help

Options
13»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My suggestions require very little willpower, because everyone's willpower is fairly weak until they have exercised success many times over. It's like an unused muscle. It is very weak to start; it's painful to work it. But with regular (gentle) exercise, it can support us longer. But you wouldn't demand that muscle hold up a house on the first day.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    gav1901 wrote: »
    thank you for most of the comments, I am going to write down notes on what everyone has said and try to implement them. Yes I'm weak when it comes to food, yes I don't have any willpower to stop it. I'm currently battling depression and other medical problems so its hard to keep on top of everything.

I have to lose 10kg before January. That is why I am desperate for help. The doctor has said there is nothing he can do and I have to do it myself.

Thank you for all your advice
    Are you losing weight for surgery?

You have 3 months to lose 22 lbs or so? I think you might be a good candidate for going super low carb (maybe 40 or so net carbs per day or less). At your size, you don't really have to restrict much in terms of quantity if you're eating that low carbs. You fill up on meats and vegetables and one or two servings of fruit. But really, at your size, you can nearly eat endless meat and vegetables slathered in olive oil.

I don't like to spread just my personal experience without a caveat, but many people just like you find they aren't hungry and lose weight by limiting carbs that low. But it's not what I did when I was morbidly obese (I followed the diabetic "exchange" diet when I lost my first big chunk of weight).

I want to emphasize that if you decide to not go low carb, and instead just restrict calories, you need to eat at a sensible deficit for your size. Suddenly eating 1500 calories per day when you've been eating 4500 calories is a recipe for disaster after a couple days.

If you post your stats (age, height, activity level, current weight) the very helpful people here can give you a great idea of a starting point for how many calories would help you lose 2 lbs. per week until January. Good luck, we believe in you. (And many of us started in your shoes.)
  • gav1901
    gav1901 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    gav1901 wrote: »
    thank you for most of the comments, I am going to write down notes on what everyone has said and try to implement them. Yes I'm weak when it comes to food, yes I don't have any willpower to stop it. I'm currently battling depression and other medical problems so its hard to keep on top of everything.

I have to lose 10kg before January. That is why I am desperate for help. The doctor has said there is nothing he can do and I have to do it myself.

Thank you for all your advice
    Are you losing weight for surgery?

You have 3 months to lose 22 lbs or so? I think you might be a good candidate for going super low carb (maybe 40 or so net carbs per day or less). At your size, you don't really have to restrict much in terms of quantity if you're eating that low carbs. You fill up on meats and vegetables and one or two servings of fruit. But really, at your size, you can nearly eat endless meat and vegetables slathered in olive oil.

I don't like to spread just my personal experience without a caveat, but many people just like you find they aren't hungry and lose weight by limiting carbs that low. But it's not what I did when I was morbidly obese (I followed the diabetic "exchange" diet when I lost my first big chunk of weight).

I want to emphasize that if you decide to not go low carb, and instead just restrict calories, you need to eat at a sensible deficit for your size. Suddenly eating 1500 calories per day when you've been eating 4500 calories is a recipe for disaster after a couple days.

If you post your stats (age, height, activity level, current weight) the very helpful people here can give you a great idea of a starting point for how many calories would help you lose 2 lbs. per week until January. Good luck, we believe in you. (And many of us started in your shoes.)

yes its for surgery. I have my referral to a surgeon in January. I'm 30 at 5'11, don't really exercise (I know I should) and weigh 167.2kg as of today. My goal for surgery is 154kg. All the dietician said was to go on 1200 calories a day which I tried and couldn't do at all.

Thanks again.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day is terrible advice and I'm sorry that they gave you that number. I started at 320lbs and am sitting at 164lbs today. As a reference, I can still easily lose weight at 1900 calories a day or more. I've lost weight in the past on as many as 2300 calories a day. I'd suggest that finding the intake where you are eating as much as possible but still losing will really help you find something sustainable. It takes some experimentation. But when you find that number you may just discover that you then have some momentum, and that momentum is all you need to start winning the battle. Just my opinion of course.
  • gav1901
    gav1901 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ewhip17 wrote: »
    1200 calories a day is terrible advice and I'm sorry that they gave you that number. I started at 320lbs and am sitting at 164lbs today. As a reference, I can still easily lose weight at 1900 calories a day or more. I've lost weight in the past on as many as 2300 calories a day. I'd suggest that finding the intake where you are eating as much as possible but still losing will really help you find something sustainable. It takes some experimentation. But when you find that number you may just discover that you then have some momentum, and that momentum is all you need to start winning the battle. Just my opinion of course.

Yeah I thought that was a bit low for my size. But I'm gonna try 1900 to 2000 calories and reduce sugar intake and up the protein to see if that helps.

Thank you for your advice
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    With surgery aren't they looking for you to demonstrate you can eat to the smaller capacity you will have, in order not to overload your reduced digestive system ? As well as reduce the liver size to make the operation more practical.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to a therapist?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think the reduced liver can be accomplished within a dozen days before surgery.