the push to press play

Options
I am having the hardest time committing to either morning or evening workouts so more often than not I end up slacking.

I'm pretty sure morning is best for me. Advice to kick ones *kitten* out of bed? Lol

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I am having the hardest time committing to either morning or evening workouts so more often than not I end up slacking.

I'm pretty sure morning is best for me. Advice to kick ones *kitten* out of bed? Lol

Set your alarm clock to the 'radio preacher at 5 AM' channel. Set at max volume to go off at 5:15.

Put alarm clock on other side of room.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I am a lunch time exerciser, but my husband has to set multiple alarms to get out of bed. Anything that actually forces you to get out of the bed and walk to turn it off is a good bet. There are also some apps that force you to solve a problem before the alarm will turn off. That way you actually have to be somewhat awake to turn the alarm off.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    have kids?

Sleeping in isn't an option here LOL
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Set your alarm clock to the 'radio preacher at 5 AM' channel. Set at max volume to go off at 5:15.

Put alarm clock on other side of room.

Ha! My husband once asked me how I managed to find a radio station that plays AC/DC every single morning at the same time. I hadn't even realized that was an ongoing thing until I started pausing before slamming my hand on the OFF button but, yes, it was a real thing.

OP, my suggestions are to go to bed early enough that you'll be getting enough sleep before getting up early, setting your clothes out the night before, and then just forcing yourself to do it if you really want to start exercising at that time. It can be rough at first but after a good two weeks of making yourself get up, it gets easier.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Go to bed early. Wake up early.

Early to bed, early to rise makes you healthy...
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Get up when your alarm goes off. Work out.
    No one can make you do it except for you.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Get all your workout stuff together the night before.
    Start small, try 30 minutes earlier than your normal wake up time.
    Like Nike said "Just do it".

These are all the things I've done to get used to waking up early to workout out.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Start with a small goal, and make yourself accountable to meeting that goal. I log workouts on a spreadsheet (I like numbers). I have a monthly goal.

You could start with a small weekly goal and put smiley put stickers on the calendar for workout (hang it in a public place). Go to the Groups area here in MFP.....join a monthly challenge.
  • ashleesaid
    ashleesaid Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Work out in the evenings if you don't want to get up early. That's what I do!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Advice to kick ones *kitten* out of bed? Lol

you're an adult. act like one and get out of bed to do what you said you'd do
  • kaylaybanez
    kaylaybanez Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips guya! Going to sleep soon and alarm is on the other side of the room :)
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I've found the only time I have no excuse not to exercise is first thing in the morning. I go to bed earlier and that's made it a lot easier. Now it's a habit. And I change up my exercises so I'm not bored. After decades of jogging I'm now doing exercises from DVDs and that's a lot of fun, and challenging.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I tend to think you are a morning or an evening person, so Id go with that. I wouldnt use it as an opportunity to prevaricate, so if you really dont know, then try both for a short period and see which one you like best. Alternatively just agree with yourself to go x times a week and dont worry about whether its mornings or evenings.

The morning thing i'd agree with having all your stuff ready to go.
  • kaylaybanez
    kaylaybanez Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I got up early and jt went well! I'm doing part 2 of my workout later because my kids got up earlier than anticipated but once I'm going to work at my usual later time morning workouts will be a breeze again. Loving it!