Shirataki noodles? High in nutrition or equivalent to paper?

Options
Has anyone tried replacing pasta with shirataki noodles? Are shirataki noodles a good choice for weight loss nutritionally? Or are they the equivalent of trying to eat paper? Has anyone also tried some of shirataki noodles blended with other ingredients such as tofu or spinach? Are they worth trying? Which is your favourite?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I quite like them but nutritionally they are pretty much just fibre.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Pretty much fiber, some protein f you get the kind with tofu. But the calories are low enough that you can add nutrition someplace else.
  • qubetha
    qubetha Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I quite like them but nutritionally they are pretty much just fibre.

Does that make them a great choice if you need more fibre in your diet? Or are they not the right type of fibre?

(Apologies for my ignorance, I'm assuming there are some types of fibre better than others)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I think they're a good choice, the fibre makes you feel full for next to no calories.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I like them. But you gotta prepare them right. 1. Rinse VERY WELL in strainer under hot water. 2. Dry-sautee them by themselves in a pan until all the water's gone. 3. Add other ingredients & cook as you would.

I personally prefer them with a tomato-based pasta sauce and real parmesan cheese. I also pretend they are bean sprouts and make them into Asian stir fries.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get past the fish smell. I much prefer spaghetti squash if I am substituting pasta!
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I like them. But you gotta prepare them right. 1. Rinse VERY WELL in strainer under hot water. 2. Dry-sautee them by themselves in a pan until all the water's gone. 3. Add other ingredients & cook as you would.

I personally prefer them with a tomato-based pasta sauce and real parmesan cheese. I also pretend they are bean sprouts and make them into Asian stir fries.

Thanks for the advice! I have some at home, but have yet to brave making them! Maybe this weekend I'll give it a whirl!

• happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    JAllen32 wrote: »

Thanks for the advice! I have some at home, but have yet to brave making them! Maybe this weekend I'll give it a whirl!

You're welcome :) Preparing them this way makes the flavor completely neutral and kills the weird smell. It's worth it to have a giant portion of "spaghetti" for 75-90 calories instead of 450.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    JAllen32 wrote: »

You're welcome :) Preparing them this way makes the flavor completely neutral and kills the weird smell. It's worth it to have a giant portion of "spaghetti" for 75-90 calories instead of 450.

It can almost be too much pasta for me at times. They are very filling.