How many calories should you burn in each workout??

Options
Hi there!
I'm a little confused on calorie intake/exertion. I've read a lot of people who saw intake at least 1200 calories, eat 1400, eat 1600, eat back burned calories, etc. But how many calories are you supposed to burn in your workouts and should you really eat them back? I'm 130 lbs, 5'5", 19 years old and trying to lose about 10-15 lbs. I workout 6-7 days a week, but haven't seen substantial weight loss yet. I'm wondering how many calories I should aim to burn in each workout and how much my net calories should amount to each day.
Thanks!!

Replies

• Megadautilus
    Options
    It really depends on what you are doing. I believe strongly in working out for a purpose (better cardio, to get stronger, increase agility). Even then it depends on what the purpose of the purpose is (for powerlifting, for mma, for football, for running, for general health ect.) Your not really going to lose weight by exercising, if you try to do that you usually end up over training. For cardio around 250-400 I would guess and for strength training around 100-200. Really depends on what you are doing though. Either way that isn't a very large amount, your diet makes the biggest difference. What kind of work outs are you doing?
  • kellylamppp
    Options
    I've been alternating between ellitpical or running/walking for an hour each. I'm just trying to get in better shape and lose weight for better health, but I'm not sure how many calories I should aim to eat and burn each day to reach my goal in good timing
  • ajbloomu
    ajbloomu Posts: 16
    Options
    Try not to get so hung up on numbers. Ease yourself into it, continue to eat right, and work out until your body tells you it has had enough. Typically I consume about 2200 calories a day and burn off 300-500 through exercise, and always hit my 1900 diet plan. But if I go under or over by a few it is no big deal. Try to think long term, because as I have found out, exercise is just that. Over the long run you will get more and more able to burn more and more calories, but don't overdo it.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    You'll likely see better results mixing in some lifting.

Also, make sure you aren't just going the same pace for an hour on cardio. Body gets used to that pretty easily.
  • DeniseNichole76
    DeniseNichole76 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    WIth every workout I always wear my Heart Rate Monitor (Polar FT4) and it keeps track of calories burned. It's like a limb to me, cant live without my HRM!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I'm a little confused on calorie intake/exertion. I've read a lot of people who saw intake at least 1200 calories, eat 1400, eat 1600, eat back burned calories, etc. But how many calories are you supposed to burn in your workouts and should you really eat them back? I'm 130 lbs, 5'5", 19 years old and trying to lose about 10-15 lbs. I workout 6-7 days a week, but haven't seen substantial weight loss yet. I'm wondering how many calories I should aim to burn in each workout and how much my net calories should amount to each day.
    Thanks!!

First determine your daily caloric requirement (TDEE), given your activity level. Then eat at a deficit. Read this >>>

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/963088-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy

It explains it all.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You don't need to "burn" anything...there is a weight loss deficit built into your calorie goal. If you ate those calories and did nothing, you'd lose weight.

Don't exercise for calorie burn; exercise for fitness...use your diet for weight control.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    in my opinion you shouldn't be working out for a predetermined goal of burned calories.

i think that every time you work out, you should try to go a little further, a little longer, or a a little more intense then last time.
  • dailytammy
    dailytammy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different....however I eat 1200 calories a day and try and burn at least 600 calories a day doing cardio and then 3 days a week I use my Total Gym. I never eat back my calories I am lucky if I can eat all 1200 in a day so the extra is a challenge for me. Hope you find the answers you are looking for.
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I average about 600-800 calories burned per day, but none of it is exercise for its own sake. I bike to work once or twice a week - about a 1300 cal burn total, and try to race myself to beat my best times. I'm also training a horse (want to start orienteering/endurance rides) and doing historic martial arts, plus hiking. And errands like shopping get done on foot or by bike. That way, if it's part of your lifestyle, it'll be more sustainable long-term!
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    in my opinion you shouldn't be working out for a predetermined goal of burned calories.

i think that every time you work out, you should try to go a little further, a little longer, or a a little more intense then last time.

So true ...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different....however I eat 1200 calories a day and try and burn at least 600 calories a day doing cardio and then 3 days a week I use my Total Gym. I never eat back my calories I am lucky if I can eat all 1200 in a day so the extra is a challenge for me. Hope you find the answers you are looking for.

netting 600 calories per day is not safe or healthy.
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options

I think you should do some easy, some harder, then some low intensity, then some high.
    I can't imagine anyone would try to go harder/longer every time.

Don't we prepare for events, then race?
    We don't race every day

Be careful not to go courting Injury :-)
  • faely
    faely Posts: 144 Member
    Options

You are right, everyone is different. I don't know your story, but I am amazed you can live off 600 net calories a day :noway: I did read a post by a lady that was in a wheelchair and I think she said her doctor has her on 500 calories. still amazes me :flowerforyou:
  • Puffingmuffin
    Puffingmuffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    A skinny person will burn less calories than a fatter person for a given exercise. So you shouldnt have an aim nor compare other people's burn to yours. For me, I burn an average of 300-350 calories for 45 mins of running. I'm 5"7, 122 pounds. A bit disheartening to see low figures, especially since I can easily consume it back with a kit kat bar.