HRM worry!

Options
Ive just started the Insanity workout and bought a Polar FT4 HRM. I have monitored my heart rate doing these workouts and it usually doesn't go above 86%.

I wore it horse riding the other night (which i've been doing weekly for a year) and it wasn't a very hard core lesson yet my HR was averaging at 96% and at one point when cantering round it was 101%!

Is this safe/right/ok!??! im really worried now that I might go and keel over?! esp seeing as Shaun T is always saying to check your heart rate and stay safe.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I would be more worried about staying on the horse.
  • giggalon
    giggalon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    haha! well one of my friends did say it could be the adrenaline?!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    If your HR is hitting 101% you need to reevaluate what your 100% is. I can push 100% for 15 - 20 minutes. You won't die or fall over. You're just at the limit of how much oxygen and energy you can supply to your body. The desire to stop will increase to an uncontrollable point where it's almost mentally impossible to continue. The signals to slow down when you're at this point are not something you'll see on a HRM. Your body will be screaming at you in an unmistakable conversation that you should ease up.

Even then it won't kill you if you're healthy. You'll just be out of breath mostly. Try to kill yourself by holding your breath. Ha ha! You can't do it. Your body will fight back. It's that obvious if you're overdoing it. Don't worry about it.
  • CountingCaloriesSuxass
    CountingCaloriesSuxass Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I would be more worried about staying on the horse.

I would be more worried about the horse..poor thing
  • CountingCaloriesSuxass
    CountingCaloriesSuxass Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    If your HR is hitting 101% you need to reevaluate what your 100% is. I can push 100% for 15 - 20 minutes. You won't die or fall over. You're just at the limit of how much oxygen and energy you can supply to your body. The desire to stop will increase to an uncontrollable point where it's almost mentally impossible to continue. The signals to slow down when you're at this point are not something you'll see on a HRM. Your body will be screaming at you in an unmistakable conversation that you should ease up.

Even then it won't kill you if you're healthy. You'll just be out of breath mostly. Try to kill yourself by holding your breath. Ha ha! You can't do it. Your body will fight back. It's that obvious if you're overdoing it. Don't worry about it.

what do waffles know about hearts anyway