Back to work and not doing well

Options
I am horrible at planning, I just can't keep up with it. Did great over the summer, but now back to school teaching and I am doing horribly! So frustrated, I snack more because it's a long day and commute and I am hungry before dinner on the drive home. I'm not eating whoppie pies anymore, so that's good, usually a cheese stick or fruit, but I am going over in calories everyday. I haven't gotten my workout due to getting home late. I am feeling really down.

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I would be giving yourself some extra calories (aka, slow weightloss rate down) to allow for some low-calorie snacks to keep you going during the day. Don't forget cheese is quite high in calories so unless it keeps you full, don't bother.

It's a small hurdle, not a full stop to what you are doing - stay positive and you will get there!
  • RadiantChange
    RadiantChange Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I bought an amazing binto box that has the exact right portions and I fill it up the evening before...Bam I have my daily food for work. I totally know what you mean about night time workouts, this is one of the reasons I workout first thing in the morning. Hang in there and just tweak a few things to make it work for you. All the best!
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling down. A change in routine can definitely be hard to adjust too. And I hate when it happens when you've just gotten into the swing of things!

First things first - don't be too hard on yourself. You said yourself that you're snacking on fruit or cheese instead of junk, so that's something. And you recognize that what you're doing right now isn't working - so that is also a BIG something.

You say that you suck at planning, but unfortunately it feels like that's the only thing that will get you out of this. That being said, I usually devote either Saturday or Sunday afternoon to making two big batches of food, portioning it out and freezing if. Then I have one thing for lunch and one thing for dinner all done for the whole week. Eating the same thing every day isn't glamorous but it is easy and cuts down on the planning for sure.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I am in the same profession, and know how tough it can be.

I have found that weighing and preplanning meals the night before helps me from staying on track. I also only bring one extra granola bar with me to ensure that I don't over eat. The first few days sucked, but my body adjusted to deal with it. Possibly that could help?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    smileyahp wrote: »
    I am horrible at planning, I just can't keep up with it. Did great over the summer, but now back to school teaching and I am doing horribly! So frustrated, I snack more because it's a long day and commute and I am hungry before dinner on the drive home. I'm not eating whoppie pies anymore, so that's good, usually a cheese stick or fruit, but I am going over in calories everyday. I haven't gotten my workout due to getting home late. I am feeling really down.

Try pre-logging your day into MFP in the morning. That way you know what your calories will be for the day, so you know ahead of time that you won't be going over. For snacks, take cut up vegetables along with you rather than cheese, which can be calorie dense. Try some celery, peppers, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, green onions, radishes, etc. Mix and match to keep things interesting. Vegetables are very low in calories and will give you plenty to munch on during your drive home before dinner without blowing your calorie goals.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    It's hard. I teach at multiple sites so it is so tempting to stop and get fast food. I am careful what I pack, but I also keep in mind that my body is not a three meal a day body, so I work that into my meals. I pack a lunch, but I know I will nibble at morning recess/break/travel time depending on the day of the week. I also throw a protein bar in so I don't go crazy after school if my day went crazy and I missed lunch. (I was taking cliff bars, but I'm experimenting with lower calorie and higher fiber versions now). If you have one school, you could leave those in your desk so you aren't tempted to eat them on the way home. When I'm doing better at planning I pack in bento boxes, either traditional Japanese versions or American versions, I have a couple laptop lunches/bentology boxes and one other I forget the brand on. They allow for small servings of lots of things so it isn't boring.

It's hard. Today I broke into my emergency cherry coke, but it ended up working into my calories, just not great nutrition.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Do any of the schools have a track, playground, or parking lot that you could walk a few laps around at some point during your day? Might give you a little energy boost to get your body moving during the day. Two or three ten-minute walks would give you a nice little daily workout. Don't forget a water bottle to stay full & hydrated during your drives.
  • cmtigger
    Options
    Do any of the schools have a track, playground, or parking lot that you could walk a few laps around at some point during your day? Might give you a little energy boost to get your body moving during the day. Two or three ten-minute walks would give you a nice little daily workout. Don't forget a water bottle to stay full & hydrated during your drives.

Most teachers don't have enough time in their day for actual 10 minute breaks. You are usually doing some work, even without kids, or running to the bathroom if you have a little break. Lunch is rarely more than a half hour.
  • cmtigger
    Options

Most teachers don't have enough time in their day for actual 10 minute breaks. You are usually doing some work, even without kids, or running to the bathroom if you have a little break. Lunch is rarely more than a half hour.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I've been in a comparable situation.

Then just get fast food. Figure out which lower cal things at which places are decent in your area and rotate them.

When I've been in that boat, I've gone for this stuff, based on what's available in the area
    - Starbucks paninis (Sbux is everywhere), usually 400-550 cals or
    - Some kind of sandwich + a brothy soup (get it to go in a coffee cup). Wraps are never satisfying, ime or
    - A gas station bean burrito or
    - A bean salad or
    - Sushi or
    - Tandoori chicken & chickpea masala, throw out 1/2 the rice served, no naan or
    - Taco Bell. It is what it is, but a couple of Taco Supremes will keep you going for a few hours, for ~400 cals

I would try to just switch to bigger meals and cut down on snacks, tbh. Or, always have 15 nuts in a baggie or a protein bar in your bag, if it comes to it.
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I teach too--re-entry has been hard!!! one rule I have is I only eat what I pack in my lunch bag. I put 3 cups of chopped up veggies in tupperwares on the weekend-that helps too. in the morning I can grab the veggies, a thing of 100 calorie yogurt, an apple and a little almond butter--that gets me through the day pretty well. If I didn't eat breakfast at home, I throw 1 cup of some low cal high fiber cereal in a baggie and eat it in the car with a hard boiled egg. all of that only required a little advance planning-I can boil eggs on Sunday, put three days worth of veggies in tupperware (more than three days in advance, they get a little mushy...), yogurts are no prep, apples and almond butter are no prep. I also buy those aseptic cartons of soup that are shelf stable--Pacific makes a bunch of them that are 180 calories a box--you can even bring 4 or 5 to school and just stick them in your bottom drawer. I also keep instant oatmeal packets at school--not terrible if you forget a lunch. I try to remember to keep a bottle of water in my car so on the way home I try to down the entire bottle--keeps me from snacking and gets me rehydrated after the day.

As for teachers walking a track or something during the day--totally not realistic. I don't know how others dress, but I wear a dress and nice flats 3-4 days a week--no way I am out walking like that, plus free periods are spent making copies, going to the bathroom, grabbing a cup of tea or coffee, returning phone calls, chatting with colleagues, making personal phone calls, returning emails-you get the idea. a lot of the teachers at my school do change into their work out clothes at school and stop at gyms on the way home. I don't, but it works for lots of them.
  • vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher too. As many do I find the beginning of the year the toughest so I actually just set my goal at maintenance for the first month and only go to the gym on weekends. I prioritize sleep and social time over gym that month and set limits about how much of my free time I spend on teacher planning. On week days if I have not hit 14k on my fitbit I go for a quick outside walk. I pack the same lunch everyday and put clothes out the night before so I can get ready brainlessly. Be gentle on yourself, back to school is tough! You'll be back on track in no time!
  • vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    drabbits2 wrote: »
    I teach too--re-entry has been hard!!! one rule I have is I only eat what I pack in my lunch bag. I put 3 cups of chopped up veggies in tupperwares on the weekend-that helps too. in the morning I can grab the veggies, a thing of 100 calorie yogurt, an apple and a little almond butter--that gets me through the day pretty well. If I didn't eat breakfast at home, I throw 1 cup of some low cal high fiber cereal in a baggie and eat it in the car with a hard boiled egg. all of that only required a little advance planning-I can boil eggs on Sunday, put three days worth of veggies in tupperware (more than three days in advance, they get a little mushy...), yogurts are no prep, apples and almond butter are no prep. I also buy those aseptic cartons of soup that are shelf stable--Pacific makes a bunch of them that are 180 calories a box--you can even bring 4 or 5 to school and just stick them in your bottom drawer. I also keep instant oatmeal packets at school--not terrible if you forget a lunch. I try to remember to keep a bottle of water in my car so on the way home I try to down the entire bottle--keeps me from snacking and gets me rehydrated after the day.

As for teachers walking a track or something during the day--totally not realistic. I don't know how others dress, but I wear a dress and nice flats 3-4 days a week--no way I am out walking like that, plus free periods are spent making copies, going to the bathroom, grabbing a cup of tea or coffee, returning phone calls, chatting with colleagues, making personal phone calls, returning emails-you get the idea. a lot of the teachers at my school do change into their work out clothes at school and stop at gyms on the way home. I don't, but it works for lots of them.

I bought some "fashion sneakers" for all the walking/running at work but I teach little ones and the dress code is lax so don't have to wear flats.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Please do all realize that exercise is not necessary for weight loss. You just need to eat in a calorie deficit. and as I mentioned above, just swap out the snacks that are putting you over your calorie goals for lower calorie options and you'll be able to keep to your deficit more easily.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    We started school again last week. I did awful! I didn't plan well and wound up ordering out for lunch twice last week. It is better this week. I have weighed and packed all my food when I make my daughters lunch at night. I have even avoided any of the food that has been dumped in the teacher's room.

Today I had a total of 10 minutes without my students! I had to eat lunch and use the bathroom during that small window of time. The rest of the day I was with my students : from 8:10 - 3:15.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm not a public school teacher so my schedule isn't exactly the same, but I do work in education. I had a short vacation and my eating schedule was so easy over those weeks! I get way more hungry when I'm working with the kids. I REALLY have to plan and pre-log. Every night I sit down and think about what I have to do the next day, when I should eat, and what will keep me running (also, when can I have a diet coke, chew some gum, and suck it up). By the time I get to work I have everything planned, lunch packed. I try to never get caught being too hungry and always have a few hundred calories left for dessert.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Pre-log your days.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Meant to add - if you're concerned about nutrition, but fast food is easiest, just do your best with what's available for lunch, and have healthier things for breakfast and dinner.

Keep dinner simple, whatever that means to you. Usually that's
    - weekend batch cooking + freezing
    - using a crockpot in the morning
    - spending 20-30 mins over a stove for a quick grill / sautee of some meat + some steamed veg & 1/2 cup starch)
    - roasted chicken from the hot counter at the deli on the way home + bag of salad
  • cmtigger
    Options
    drabbits2 wrote: »

If you can't get to a microwave, those little lunch sized crock pots are great to heat soup.

We dress really casual in my district. I've more than once been asked, "you can wear jeans/shorts to work?" But still little time. Last year I often went to the pool on the way home.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher. I take a large bag of food to school every day: it contains plastic containers of my breakfast, morning snack, lunch, and after school snack. I can easily plan for high volume food that keeps my full and within my goal. I'm chuckling a little at the idea that teachers have time to do a couple of 10 minute exercise sessions during the day.