Working out at work

Options
Hi! I did a search but didn't find a similar post. Does anyone sneak in a work out while at work? Looking for ideas and inspiration. I'm a nurse so sometimes I do brisk walking on my unit and sometimes I go into the stair well and run stairs. Most of us are busy so just looking for ideas to maximize possible exercise opportunities. Plus it's more fun to work out when you get paid for it!

Replies

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    There is no sneaking a workout. I walk over to the company gym and workout every lunch hour. No sneaking involved.
  • Kellyymcd
    Kellyymcd Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    @piperdown44 that sounds awesome! Some days I don't get a break at all but that usually means I'm moving around a lot anyway. Sneaking is the best I can do for now!
  • hotnumber
    hotnumber Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I work in retirement homes and residences and I climb flights of stairs in between clients. If I have to take the elevator (and I'm alone) I will do squats until I get to my floor or grab the bars and do leg raises. Sometimes I will challenge myself to do some jumping jacks... Just 10-15 so I don't go back to work all sweaty lol
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Alrighty, for those not blessed with a company gym....

I took a walk break every hour when I worked in an office. It was only a few minutes each but those minutes, plus a longer walk at lunch, usually added up to an hour a day. Yes, I sort of had to sneak it in. But they were brief and helped clear my mind. Plus I figured other people take regular smoke breaks so this couldn't be any worse (in the eyes of my employer ).
  • pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I also take a walk during lunch or run the stairs. I'm hoping to find some sort of small, quiet, piece of equipment to keep in my cubicle, but like hotnumber says, I don't want to do anything that gets me all sweaty or out of breath (I'm a phone consultant). I just try to do what I can and hope that it adds up over time. Anything has to be better than nothing.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I exercise on my lunch break and during work time I walk to the far copy room, the far kitchen and always take the stairs. I'm all for incidental exercise, but there's a fine line between getting some, and impacting my productivity by being too much away from my desk on non-work related activity.
  • Kellyymcd
    Options
    hotnumber wrote: »
    I work in retirement homes and residences and I climb flights of stairs in between clients. If I have to take the elevator (and I'm alone) I will do squats until I get to my floor or grab the bars and do leg raises. Sometimes I will challenge myself to do some jumping jacks... Just 10-15 so I don't go back to work all sweaty lol

The elevator squats are a great idea. I don't mind getting sweaty. I work long term care with Alzheimer's, dementia, and psych patients so sometimes just breaking up fights or providing incontinence care can make me break a sweat lol
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Kellyymcd wrote: »

I work long term care with Alzheimer's, dementia, and psych patients so sometimes just breaking up fights or providing incontinence care can make me break a sweat lol

completely off topic, but tipping my hat to you. much respect sent your way for bothering to show up for work every day. i don't have the emotional stamina to even consider what that must be like.
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    on topic, though...

I just ordered a pair of the neoprene dumbells they carry at Dick's Sporting Goods to keep under my desk.
  • Kellyymcd
    Options
    hamptontom wrote: »

I work long term care with Alzheimer's, dementia, and psych patients so sometimes just breaking up fights or providing incontinence care can make me break a sweat lol

completely off topic, but tipping my hat to you. much respect sent your way for bothering to show up for work every day. i don't have the emotional stamina to even consider what that must be like.

Thank you. That means a lot. Weights for under the desk sound like a good idea too.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    Hi! I did a search but didn't find a similar post. Does anyone sneak in a work out while at work? Looking for ideas and inspiration. I'm a nurse so sometimes I do brisk walking on my unit and sometimes I go into the stair well and run stairs. Most of us are busy so just looking for ideas to maximize possible exercise opportunities. Plus it's more fun to work out when you get paid for it!

Three of us at work are in a bit of a challenge together ... to climb stairs.

I'm up to climbing 5 flights of stairs 5 times a day.

When I get up to use the toilet and top up my coffee and water, I climb a set of 5 flights. It doesn't take long and it gets the heart rate going.

Plus part of my commute is walking and I go for walks at lunch too.

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    @piperdown44 that sounds awesome! Some days I don't get a break at all but that usually means I'm moving around a lot anyway. Sneaking is the best I can do for now!

@Kellyymcd there are quite a few people that, even for 10 mins will take a quick walk up and down the stairs instead of using the company gym and they do that several times a day. Guess they reasons for not wanting to use the work gym although I don't know why.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options

@Kellyymcd there are quite a few people that, even for 10 mins will take a quick walk up and down the stairs instead of using the company gym and they do that several times a day. Guess they reasons for not wanting to use the work gym although I don't know why.

We have a "company gym" ... but it costs something like $50/month. The stairs are free.

The stairs are also low hassle. I don't have to change clothes. I don't have to set aside half an hour or an hour. I just get up and on my way to the toilet, I jog down the stairs and climb back up. Takes about 4 minutes each time.