Protein powders, Needed or not?

Options
I don't use protein powders or supplements. I just like to eat my protein from actual real food. I am trying to be healthy, eat well and nutritious while working out.

Most people I know use protein powder of some form plus a lot of people on here. In my head I always seem to think of it as processed supplements and don't want to use it. My problem is it comes up a lot in Smoothie recipes plus I have just bought a new recipe book and it adds it pudding and other recipes. I have been skipping the protein powder bit and not using it. Am I just being silly? Or should I embrace protein powder in to my diet?

Replies

• dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    No protein supps are not needed. People use it to keep within their macros without the hassle of cooking. If you can get all the protein from food powders aren't needed.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. It's certainly not needed for weight loss, but if you want to get a bit of extra protein then you can use it.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    They are not necessary. They are just convenient for hitting protein goals if people are struggling to get it in from food. They are fairly low calorie, taste nice, quickly absorbed into the body and cost effective. Sometimes I'm bored of chicken/Tuna etc and don't feel like a meal straight after the gym or don't have time. They meet certain needs/circumstances.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »
    No protein supps are not needed. People use it to keep within their macros without the hassle of cooking. If you can get all the protein from food powders aren't needed.

^ +1
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    If you're leaving it out of, say, smoothies, simply because it's processed, yes, you're being silly.