Higher calorie breakfast, small, low calorie meals throughout the rest of the day?

Options
I'm just wondering what people's opinions on this weight loss strategy are? My goal is to lose up to 30 pounds before the end of the year. I have lost almost 11 pounds in the last 3 weeks, but for some reason this has stalled in the last couple of days, with no weight coming off at all, even though I have maintained a good calorie defecit in that time.

My breakfast has consisted of oatmeal with semi-skimmed milk and either a couple of teaspoons of honey or some sweetened müsli for the last few years, this works best for me, because I really struggle without the slow release of energy from cereals that I just don't get from other foods.
My diary is public, I would be interested to know your opinions.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The timing of food doesn't matter in weight loss terms. Some people find they keep to a deficit better by eating a lot of food for a few hours at night then eating nothing the rest of the day. It really is finding what works for you.

Well done with your huge weight loss so far. It will never keep going at that rate as the first big drops are us losing water weight and excess waste.
    Keep eating at a deficit and the weight loss will start up again in the next few weeks.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    A stall for a couple of days is nothing to worry about, if it was a stall over 5 or 6 weeks then thats something else and you'd need to look at your calories and the accuracy of your logging.
    It doesn't matter when you eat your calories, its about being in deficit. Well done on your loss so far, keep up the good work. :smile:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If that suits your day and works for you, great. But meal timing has nothing to do with weight loss apart from the sheer physical thing of eating later at night may result in a higher weight in the morning because you've had less time to digest it. Aside from that (few hour) difference (which makes no different in the long, or even medium term) changing up when you eat your calories won't make a difference.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    11 pounds in 3 weeks is not sustainable and likely initial water weight loss.

that said, if you prefer to eat a larger breakfast and smaller meals the rest of the day.. go for it!

my weights been the same for 2 weeks now. though given how ive been eating, im not surprised LOLOLOL in all seriousness though, a few days or even weeks isn't a big deal- it's if you haven't lost in a month or more that you may need to reexamine your logging habits.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I agree with other posters. Timing of the meal has no direct influence on weight loss or lack thereof.
    I eat most of my daily calories by breakfast time. That is because I have my daily workout at 5 am. That is sustainable for me and it fits my schedule.
    Re: weight loss stall. My experience is that weight loss is not linear. Keep on adjusting your nutrition plan (macros) , continue eating at a deficit, weight all of your solid food and measure the liquids. The scale will move eventually. You have to be patient and count your Non Scale Victories (i.e. your body measurements have decreased). You did not acquire your existing body weight in a few weeks, it will take time.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    The timing of food doesn't matter in weight loss terms. Some people find they keep to a deficit better by eating a lot of food for a few hours at night then eating nothing the rest of the day. It really is finding what works for you.

Well done with your huge weight loss so far. It will never keep going at that rate as the first big drops are us losing water weight and excess waste.
    Keep eating at a deficit and the weight loss will start up again in the next few weeks.
    All of this. Personally, I do better with more food at night, so I skip breakfast. Just find what works for you.
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I think food timing is largely psycholigical. Many people, including myself like to have a filling dinner and nearly skip breakfast. I also like to have a few low calorie snacks.