Who else is taking contrave pills?

Options

Replies

• GSanc2
    GSanc2 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    babyrko wrote: »
    Thank you guys for your replies.
    My doctor told me about this pill, and he asked me to do my own research until he gets my blood results and the second time I visited him we talked about it and he prescribed it. I'm very happy with the pills , I can handle the nauseous feeling but the sleeping part, I can't handle , so I made an appointment with my doctor for tomorrow to talk to him about it and see if it's possible for me to just stick to one pill a day until I no longer feel like it's working

I have been on Contrave since June 29th. I have lost weight by eating healthy & some exercise. With my schedule it's a little difficult to fit in the exercise on a regular basis. After being on 1 pill AM & 1 pill PM since the beginning, I recently added 1 more pill...( it's not all the time though).
    I am happy with my 20 lb weight loss & I'm slowly losing more. Plus, the Scale Down program is a great asset to the program.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Sounds like you have no long term plan. So your taking pills now but aren't sure how you'll sort it out when your doctor won't write them anymore. You won't understand things like portion control, moderation. Those are things needed for long term success . there's really no magic pill or quick fix, you'll learn that when your doctor says he's no longer willing to write them and you'll be forced to put in the hard work necessary . nothing can replace hard work. Sometimes taking the easy way out will lead you right back to where you started

Actually this is a long term medication and can be seemingly taken as safely as many antidepressants because it is in the same class. Some people may need them to control weight loss and management, just as some need antidepressants to function in society. I don't take them, but I do support their use. The fact that the OP is on them and talking with the doctor and also on here looking for support is an indication the may be going about it in the right manner. Just my thoughts.
    Furthermore, you don't know that this is the "easy" way out, just your very judgmental opinion unfortunately.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Options
    People should research before posting to a thread like this. Contrave is part of the antidepressant drug category and is meant not as an appetite suppressant, but as a way to treat obesity as you would an addiction problem. It turns off the opioid receptors so that you don't feel compelled to eat when you're not hungry for mere gratification and pleasure. It doesn't work on every obese patient the same way, because not every obese person has that issue with food. However, this is a more modern form of treatment that is technically designed for long term use and has the same risk or less of other antidepressants like it. One of the medications in this drug has been around for a long time and is now being studied for its weight loss and management properties. Great thing about pharm...those off label and secondary uses. :smiley:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yup, great, first make us hooked on addictive substances, then offer pills to stop the overeating caused by the addiction.

If there only was a way to learn how to eat like a normal person :s
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Sounds like you have no long term plan. So your taking pills now but aren't sure how you'll sort it out when your doctor won't write them anymore. You won't understand things like portion control, moderation. Those are things needed for long term success . there's really no magic pill or quick fix, you'll learn that when your doctor says he's no longer willing to write them and you'll be forced to put in the hard work necessary . nothing can replace hard work. Sometimes taking the easy way out will lead you right back to where you started

Actually this is a long term medication and can be seemingly taken as safely as many antidepressants because it is in the same class. Some people may need them to control weight loss and management, just as some need antidepressants to function in society. I don't take them, but I do support their use. The fact that the OP is on them and talking with the doctor and also on here looking for support is an indication the may be going about it in the right manner. Just my thoughts.
    Furthermore, you don't know that this is the "easy" way out, just your very judgmental opinion unfortunately.

Uh, clearly not, considering all the side effects OP is getting! How is she supposed to survive on 4 hours of sleep a night long term?
    Being overweight is not the same as being depressed. Yes, some people who are depressed need medication to function in society. Overweight people do not need appetite suppressants to function. Furthermore, the comment you quoted was talking about what on earth OP will do once at goal weight. Is she going to keep taking them at goal weight? Does she need it to function even when she's at a normal weight? If she can't even maintain without them, let alone lose weight, then she's definitely not learnt anything and would have done better learning portion control. You really advocate using these pills as a crutch for OP's whole life, just so she can be at a healthy weight? Like thorsmom pointed out, the doctor isn't going to prescribe them to her when she's at a healthy weight anyway - so no, she can't stay on them forever. She has to learn how to do it on her own. She also only has 42lbs to lose, going by her profile. Compared to a lot of people here, that isn't much. Going by what OP said, her problem is that she doesn't eat all day then gorges. Better pacing of her food intake (as well as better choices to keep her full) would help more than the pills.
    Yeah, doctor prescribed appetite suppressants can help some people initially, to help teach portion control... but if you're taking them long term, then you're using them as a crutch and they haven't taught you anything.
  • wandysmom
    wandysmom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I dont think Contrave is a crutch. It is a great weight loss tool for food addicts. The web page explains it well. And the scale down program that goes along with it is also another great tool. It holds you accountable sending you texts. You can read about it on the page. It was created by Harvard researchers. Its a long term drug, but that does not mean you have to stay on it long term. My MD took a lot of lab work, i had to see a psychologist to make sure i could handle it, i also have to see a dietician every couple of months. She has me on MFP and checks it each time. I made the committment to make a lifestyle change on Contrave. My BMI is almost normal. Im a food addict. A stress eater, so for those calling it a magic pill. Its far from that. If you do it right. You can get great results.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    wandysmom wrote: »
    I dont think Contrave is a crutch. It is a great weight loss tool for food addicts. The web page explains it well. And the scale down program that goes along with it is also another great tool. It holds you accountable sending you texts. You can read about it on the page. It was created by Harvard researchers. Its a long term drug, but that does not mean you have to stay on it long term. My MD took a lot of lab work, i had to see a psychologist to make sure i could handle it, i also have to see a dietician every couple of months. She has me on MFP and checks it each time. I made the committment to make a lifestyle change on Contrave. My BMI is almost normal. Im a food addict. A stress eater, so for those calling it a magic pill. Its far from that. If you do it right. You can get great results.

What does long term mean?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    People should research before posting to a thread like this. Contrave is part of the antidepressant drug category and is meant not as an appetite suppressant, but as a way to treat obesity as you would an addiction problem. It turns off the opioid receptors so that you don't feel compelled to eat when you're not hungry for mere gratification and pleasure. It doesn't work on every obese patient the same way, because not every obese person has that issue with food. However, this is a more modern form of treatment that is technically designed for long term use and has the same risk or less of other antidepressants like it. One of the medications in this drug has been around for a long time and is now being studied for its weight loss and management properties. Great thing about pharm...those off label and secondary uses. :smiley:

Interesting, I apparently checked out this thread a while ago but never looked into the drug. It looks like it's an off-label use of a drug used to treat alcohol and opioid dependence (interestingly, it's apparently more effective at treating alcohol dependence than opioid dependence even though it is an antagonist for the opiod receptor). It's also a combination drug with the opioid antagonist combined with wellbutrin, which on it's own has been rebranded to help with smoking cessation (zyban). Well, here in the US at least. Also interesting the main use in the US for wellbutrin is an off label use in the rest of the developed world and it's mostly used for smoking cessation.

I feel rather enlightened.

Anyways, I'm glad there is a plan that goes along with the drug and combines techniques for cessation programs. All of these types of programs take a long time to be effective, but they are designed to give you the tools you need to help you succeed long term. Very interesting that it's essentially a comprehensive addition treatment plan.

the-more-you-know.jpg
  • Leslierussell4134
    edited October 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Interesting, I apparently checked out this thread a while ago but never looked into the drug. It looks like it's an off-label use of a drug used to treat alcohol and opioid dependence (interestingly, it's apparently more effective at treating alcohol dependence than opioid dependence even though it is an antagonist for the opiod receptor). It's also a combination drug with the opioid antagonist combined with wellbutrin, which on it's own has been rebranded to help with smoking cessation (zyban). Well, here in the US at least. Also interesting the main use in the US for wellbutrin is an off label use in the rest of the developed world and it's mostly used for smoking cessation.

I feel rather enlightened.

Anyways, I'm glad there is a plan that goes along with the drug and combines techniques for cessation programs. All of these types of programs take a long time to be effective, but they are designed to give you the tools you need to help you succeed long term. Very interesting that it's essentially a comprehensive addition treatment plan.

I agree, this is a far better approach in treating a problem that so many struggle with. Obesity is a pandemic and needs to be treated as seriously as
    other medical conditions.
    And no idea why my phone is now quoting thread in this fashion. Kind of annoying, but I use the app, so I guess it happens.
  • paulabsc
    paulabsc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just started Contrave 11/2/2015. I am so hoping it's the answer to my binge eating. Just a few days and I've already stopped a lot of my snacking/bingeing.
  • prozacprincess_99
    Options
    Is this an over-the-counter drug? I have never heard of it.
  • paulabsc
    Options
    My opinion is it will give you the help and encouragement that you need to get the over eating under control while you learn to eat healthy.
    Ive tried the eat healthy, and excersize, count calories, even considered bypass. Nothing seem to help the binge eating. I researched binge eating and read that it is a mental issue just like drug addiction. I was looking for the magic pill to make me skinny, however I was looking for pill to help with the emotional relief to help stop the feeling of quilt everytime I wanted to put food in my mouth.
    "what happens when you stop taking the pills?' Well... who knows!! Maybe I'll have so much success that I have lost enough to improve my self esteem and learn to eat healthy and just enough to survive. "what happens when you stop taking the pills?" well... maybe i'll gain it back and have to start over...

All I know is I'm trying... and trying is the best I can do.

elphie754 wrote: »
    :#
    So I just started taking the pill on Sunday and I immediately started noticing a big decrease in my appetite

So what is going to happen when you stop taking them and your appetite comes back?

I don't know, but for now I'm using it to help me help myself out lol and I can't say much its day two and I'm looking for someone who actually used the pill before.
    First, I don't want this to sound lecture-y. I'm just putting out my opinion.

If you legitimately had trouble controlling your appetite before, and this pill helps you control it, and you've researched proper safe usage and side effect, preferably with a doctor, then you'll probably have some measure of success in losing the weight.

However, what others are saying is true. If you had an unhealthy relationship with food, as soon as the chemical crutch is gone, you may find yourself going back to old habits and find the weight creeping back on. It's not a foregone conclusion, but the pattern is common enough to raise concerns.

How did the weight come on in the first place? If it was a satiety problem, where you always felt legitimately hungry, you may have a hormone imbalance that you can combat with a change in diet (fewer carbs, more protein and fat, perhaps?) or with some kind of medication therapy in partnership with your doctor.

Did you eat out of boredom? If so, find a hobby (or hobbies) that you are passionate about. Reading, running, model building, hiking, dog training, drift racing, nuclear arms collection. Something to keep you from being bored.

Was it emotional eating? Do you eat when you feel sad or depressed? Do you eat as a reward for feeling good? These are things that you should probably seek professional advice on. It could require medication, or therapy, or something else entirely.

I wish you luck, and hope you reach your goal weight successfully. I also hope that in 10 years you've managed to stay happy and healthy.

• paulabsc
    Options
    AMEN!!!
    Keep doing what you're doing, but talk to your doctor about the sleep issue and the nausea. The dosage might need to be adjusted. Or your doc might have some other advice on alleviating the side effects. Ignore all these naysayers - Contrave has the same stuff in it that they prescribe to smokers to help with their cravings. So it's not like you're taking some vitamin supplement off the internet - it's a prescription medication and a legitimate tool to use to begin to deal with the cravings and anxiety.

Doing what YOUR DOCTOR tells you to do is not taking the easy way out. o_O Good grief, people.

• paulabsc
    Options

It's a new presciption for people with addictions. It's an antidrepressant combined with a anti-addiction drug to help with binge eating disorders.
    Is this an over-the-counter drug? I have never heard of it.

• paulabsc
    Options
    this can only be prescribed by a doctor so I'm sure she sought his advice first.
    auddii wrote: »
    I completely misread the title as contraception and was so confused by the responses...

No personal experience with the pill, but I will echo the advice that you should talk to your doctor about side effects. They affect people differently, so your doctor may be concerned you are experiencing them.

And in general about diet pills: they are a tool that some people use, but you'll definitely need to focus on building healthy habits so that you can continue to lose or maintain once you stop using the pill.

• brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I wont get into all of it, but basically if YOU want to use this medication to try to lose weight then your best bet is to give it some time and see if these initial side effects pass. I used to take a medication called Wellbutrin and the drug itself is called bupropion, which actually is a component in your medication as well.

I couldn't take it at night, because I couldn't sleep if I did. So I always took it in the morining. Try that and see if it helps your sleep first. Sleep is very important! That should fix the sleep problem if its the same reason why I couldn't sleep on Wellbutrin. Also, the medication is kinda supposed to make your appetite go away, but you have to eat anyway and that will help with the nausea. Take it with a meal in the morning.

All medications have side effects, sometimes the body just needs to adjust to it before those will go away. If you'd really like to see if this medicine will help you lose weight you have to take it long enough to assess its effectiveness which is definitely more than just a few weeks.

That said I once was on a BC pill prescribed by my doctor and the side effects were so awful I didn't last a week because it wasn't worth it knowing I had other options. Your other option is to not take the pill and just log accurately and exercise. It does work without this sort of medication and I know this because I've done it myself and know you can too. Take care of yourself and keep in touch with your doctor. I wouldn't try to increase the dose until you're adjusted a little better (and then at that point you may have a few more side effects to manage for a short time). When I take new antidepressants I am always advised to start on a lower dose and increase after a week or two. The one I'm on now is a 50mg pill, I divided them for the first two weeks then increased to one whole pill. I had way less headaches by sticking to the lower dose for longer.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Man, I really don't get the hate on MFP for diet medications. This isn't some huckster packaging a caloric deficit under a brand name and selling it for big bucks, this is a prescription medication taken with the advice of a doctor. Yes, I am working on improving my obesity without medication. I have also successfully improved my blood pressure without medication, but I wouldn't advice anyone to chuck their hypertension medication.

I see medication-aided weight loss as similar to a low carb diet:
    If you tell me it's the only/"right" way to lose weight, I'll refute you.
    If you tell me I should follow it, I'll refuse you.
    If you tell me it somehow violates physics or biology, I'll correct you.
    If you tell me it works the best for you, I'll cheer for you.

We all have our own methods of dealing with our weight. Some of us restrict certain foods, and others don't. Some of us passionately argue for "cheat days" while others passionately argue against. Your diet plan might not work at all for me. I'm happy for anyone who successfully loses.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Man, I really don't get the hate on MFP for diet medications. This isn't some huckster packaging a caloric deficit under a brand name and selling it for big bucks, this is a prescription medication taken with the advice of a doctor. Yes, I am working on improving my obesity without medication. I have also successfully improved my blood pressure without medication, but I wouldn't advice anyone to chuck their hypertension medication.

I see medication-aided weight loss as similar to a low carb diet:
    If you tell me it's the only/"right" way to lose weight, I'll refute you.
    If you tell me I should follow it, I'll refuse you.
    If you tell me it somehow violates physics or biology, I'll correct you.
    If you tell me it works the best for you, I'll cheer for you.

We all have our own methods of dealing with our weight. Some of us restrict certain foods, and others don't. Some of us passionately argue for "cheat days" while others passionately argue against. Your diet plan might not work at all for me. I'm happy for anyone who successfully loses.

⬆This was very well said.
  • MacksFisher
    MacksFisher Posts: 18 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Take it. Love it. Eat a quarter of what I used to. In the 4 months I've been taking it I've lost 55lbs
  • lauracollins792
    lauracollins792 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I took Contrave and used the scale down program which I really liked. However, my doctor monitored my blood pressure (on my monthly visits) as this medication can cause you to have high blood pressure. Mine was borderline so she took me off Contrave, it was either that or take blood pressure meds in conjunction with Contrave. I chose to go without Contrave. Since last November I have lost almost 30 pounds but I believe it was mainly from working out on a regular basis and using MFP. This drug is supposed to be administered to obese to morbidly obese people, I'm not sure if your doctor told you that.