I need tips, trying to gain 15lbs

Options
saltlife863
saltlife863 Posts: 11 Member
I need help. Im 27 years old 5'7. I like to stay around the weight of 160. Here in the past couple months I have lost a lot of weight and now I weigh 145. I'm. I'm not a heavy eater, so trying to consume 2500 calories a day is exhausting. I eat healthy, healthy carbs, and fats and take my protein. So my question would be, should I continue just eating all day and not incorporate cardio (weights only), or should I have a healthy balance of my 30 minutes of interval cardio, and my strength training? Help me

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Cutting cardio will help reduce the amount of calories you will need to eat to gain weight. Also, you probably need to throw your definition of healthy out the door and realize, that while you should eat nutrient dense foods to optimize health, if you need to gain weight, then calories matter the most. So it's fine to have higher calorie foods such as fattier cuts of meat, ice cream, butters, nuts, full fat yogurts, etc.. to help achieve your goals. If you eat the higher calorie items, you quantity will be lower.

I cut around 2500 calories, so you can look at my diary if you want some ideas.
  • saltlife863
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @psulemon What I mean by eating healthy, I eat tons of avocados, almonds, cashews and other nuts. I eat sweet potatoes with full fat butter. I never eat fast food, or junk food (weird huh) I have been on a good path all my life with maintaining my weight until recently. It's becoming stressful, I will def take a look at your diary. I need all the help I can get. Lol thank you very much
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I suggest Doritos. They always help me gain weight :( Cupcakes also work. Once you've eaten all your good nutritious food, there's nothing wrong with a treat if gaining weight is your goal.

Alternatively, can you cook with more oil? More red meat, more pork?
  • VeryKatie
    edited September 2015
    Options
    oops
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    @psulemon What I mean by eating healthy, I eat tons of avocados, almonds, cashews and other nuts. I eat sweet potatoes with full fat butter. I never eat fast food, or junk food (weird huh) I have been on a good path all my life with maintaining my weight until recently. It's becoming stressful, I will def take a look at your diary. I need all the help I can get. Lol thank you very much

I would suggest adding in calorie dense foods like ice cream, pizza, bagels, pasta, etc.

As long as you are eating nutrient dense foods there is nothing wrong with eating the foods that I listed. In the context of an overall diet that is meeting micronutrient goals there is no "junk food"..

Also, you do not get extra credit for additional micronutrients.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I would suggest adding in calorie dense foods like ice cream, pizza, bagels, pasta, etc.

As long as you are eating nutrient dense foods there is nothing wrong with eating the foods that I listed. In the context of an overall diet that is meeting micronutrient goals there is no "junk food"..

Also, you do not get extra credit for additional micronutrients.

Very true.

Also, fruits higher in sugar (apples, bananas, etc...) and starches are a great way of getting lots of vitamins and still getting higher calories.

I start each day (minus today) with a P28 protein bagel and peanut butter (~460 calories). Greek yogurts, especially higher fat contents are another way of getting nutritious foods that help with calories.

Drinking some calories isn't bad either. Adding milk to a protein shake or even having some chocolate milk can be beneficial.
  • saltlife863
    Options
    @VeryKatie I will definitely try that out, I've always hated chips but it's def worth a try. Thank you
  • saltlife863
    Options
    @ndj1979 I'm a sucker for pizza and pasta. I appreciate the tips
  • VeryKatie
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @VeryKatie I will definitely try that out, I've always hated chips but it's def worth a try. Thank you

If you hate them there might be other options like buttered popcorn or cookies... lol it looks like I'm saying the same thing as @ndj1979

Doritos help me gain weight because I love them too much to stop haha. If the bag hasn't been opened, I'm ok... but... if it has... *poof* out go my goals.
  • saltlife863
    Options
    Lol, headed to get to snack now... Thanks again!!! @VeryKatie